Phase linear series II 200 speaker connection problems?

Tagline
---
I'm having an issue with my 200 series II amp. Relay trips, but often I get nothing out of the left speaker until I crank the preamp way up. Then suddenly I'll get signal out of the left speaker, and I can turn the volume back down and the speaker will stay on. I've cleaned the relay contacts (gently). Is there anything else that could be wrong? Bad binding posts? Or even bad RCA jacks?

Charles.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I'm having an issue with my 200 series II amp. Relay trips, but often I get nothing out of the left speaker until I crank the preamp way up. Then suddenly I'll get signal out of the left speaker, and I can turn the volume back down and the speaker will stay on. I've cleaned the relay contacts (gently). Is there anything else that could be wrong? Bad binding posts? Or even bad RCA jacks?

Charles.
Check the RCA's You can wiggle the plug when channel is dead and if the make contact. Replacing them will not hurt

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

Charles.
Try cleaning your volume control on the per amp. Reverse inputs and see if the problem changes channels

Tagline
---
It's definitely not the preamp. Replaced this 200 with a backup unit, and the new unit works fine. Now I've got it on a test bench, and it exhibits the same problem with a different preamp. It's intermittent too, difficult to repeat.

Charles.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Short the relay contacts using isolated tweezers or using a small screwdriver.
Cleaning them gently could be insufficient .
I had this ussue on PL 4000 relay , that 's the same of PL 200 .
In case the problem will be the relay use sand paper # 400 / 600 or a very fine file .
Ciao
Marco

Tagline
---
That was it! I cleaned the relay contacts with some fine sand paper and then sprayed them down with DeOxit, and the problem is completely solved! Went back and cleaned the other PLII 200 as well, as it also had dirty contacts. (they still worked, but better to clean them now!)

Now all I need is to find someone on the east coast to service my Phase Linear 8000 turntable and I'm in gear heaven :D

Charles.

Tagline
---
I may have to actually replace the relay. Even after a light sanding, the contacts are still not making good connection. If I crank the volume for a second it'll suddenly make connection, and then it'll be good for as long as it's on... but after a few power cycles it'll start not making connection again. :/

Charles.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
yup, once the fine finished factory surface is gone, it's just a matter of time for the relay contacts. Remembering the old days of filing points on the hot rod. Once they were dressed, it was time to start shopping for a new set. Under a microscope they have tiny imperfections after filing or sanding and the current just eats them up and leaves carbon. not good for much....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
yup, once the fine finished factory surface is gone, it's just a matter of time for the relay contacts. Remembering the old days of filing points on the hot rod. Once they were dressed, it was time to start shopping for a new set. Under a microscope they have tiny imperfections after filing or sanding and the current just eats them up and leaves carbon. not good for much....
Agree, relay contacts should not be sanded, leaves behind residue that makes things worse.

Rubbing a regular paper strip between a set of closed relay contacts is a much more effective method of cleaning the contacts. If they have been sanded or filed, this does no good, the damage has been done.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Hi all ,
theorically you're are right ,
but in practise every deox product doesn't work !
( I have used also CRC 2-26 )
So I have used a very fine file very gently and
after 2 or 3 years no issues at all .
The problem was related to switched outlets of two PL 4000s.
One unit powers a PL 400 and the other a PL 700 ,
that means approx . 4 amps and 5 amps at 230 Vac .
I have tested the correct behavior with a normal 100W 230 Vac light bulb ,
Furthermore I have checked the two 22000 pF 1000V caps .
Ciao
Marco

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I think there is one of these for sale on AK right now for $220. Loud little beastie

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I got a 200 sitting here i need to fix. First series though
Perry,

The 200 series 1 amplifier was the worst amplifier Phase Linear ever made. It was never rated into a 4 ohm load. It also will not clip symmetrically when being driven into a 4 ohm load.

Phase Linear used (3) different vendors for the power supply transformers. I have seen a number of transformers in these amps fail. (NOTE: I am not sure which vendor had the problems.) The EIA code for Schumacher Electric is 606 on the back of the transformer. You will also see a 4 digit date code. Please let me know if you have a transformer with a EIA code other than 606. Phase Linear also used a inferior vendor for some of the power supply capacitors.

The service manual leaves something to be desired. Particularly when it comes to adjusting the bias. (NOTE: There is also no bias trimpot)

Unfortunately I own (2) of these series 1 amps.

The 200 series II on the other hand was a far superior amp. It had a fully complementary output and used better output transistors. It doesn't have the same problems as the series 1 driving a 4 ohm load and if my memory serves me correct the series II service manual is also probably better too. If you can locate series II boards they will work better in your series 1 amp. Glen has a couple series II boards lying around somewhere I have talked him about.

Ed

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Perry,

The 200 series 1 amplifier was the worst amplifier Phase Linear ever made. It was never rated into a 4 ohm load. It also will not clip symmetrically when being driven into a 4 ohm load.

Phase Linear used (3) different vendors for the power supply transformers. I have seen a number of transformers in these amps fail. (NOTE: I am not sure which vendor had the problems.) The EIA code for Schumacher Electric is 606 on the back of the transformer. You will also see a 4 digit date code. Please let me know if you have a transformer with a EIA code other than 606. Phase Linear also used a inferior vendor for some of the power supply capacitors.

The service manual leaves something to be desired. Particularly when it comes to adjusting the bias. (NOTE: There is also no bias trimpot)

Unfortunately I own (2) of these series 1 amps.

The 200 series II on the other hand was a far superior amp. It had a fully complementary output and used better output transistors. It doesn't have the same problems as the series 1 driving a 4 ohm load and if my memory serves me correct the series II service manual is also probably better too. If you can locate series II boards they will work better in your series 1 amp. Glen has a couple series II boards lying around somewhere I have talked him about.

Ed
Ed I just looked at it and found it is a complete B series 200. not sure if that one is any good.