Phase Linear (Magazine Reviews, Articles, Etc.)

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
"Consumer Electronics: The 700-Watt Power Amplifier" Case Study...............

Here is an interesting article I saw a number of years ago that I was able to re-locate.

"International Competitiveness in Electronics"

"Case Studies in the Development and Marketing of Electronics Products*

"Consumer Electronics: The 700-Watt Power Amplifier"

scroll down through the document to appendix C:
http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk3/1983/8314/831417.PDF

Attachments

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Here is an ad which I believe was first used in January 1971 in Audio magazine.

If so, I would find this interesting since it has the Seattle, WA address (in the Richmond Beach neighborhood of what is now Shoreline, WA).

Considering that there is a several month lead time in advance of an issue coming out, the amp was either a bridge amp, a Kelly DeYong amp or an empty chassis at the time. The PL0171 pc board was not used until sometime after January 1971.

By the way, the Seattle address no longer exists. I believe they were using the bottom floor or basement of an old grocery store (at the address noted in the ad) which predates their move to the bottom of the grocery story at 405 Howell Way in Edmonds, WA. If my memory serves me correct, Steve Johnston, Greg Johnston and another friend (whose name escapes me) were living down the street (from this location) at what was once the Handy Spot Market. Bob was living near "Firdale Village" a couple miles away.

NOTE: Credit must go to the phaselinearhistory website for this photo.
Got this one from you Ed many moons ago and is posted on cabinet above my 700.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Bernie Mitchell (U.S. Pioneer President) featured in Pioneer commercial

I stumbled across this "Rolling Stone Magazine 10th Anniversary Special" video aired November 25, 1977 which includes an ad for Pioneer. The ad features Bernie Mitchell who was the President for U.S. Pioneer at the time. Bernie contacted Steve Johnston at Phase Linear in April/May 1978 (approximately 1 month after Bob Carver left the company). Pioneer subsequently bought Phase Linear in August 1978.

The ad starts at the 8:30 time mark in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSz07mB5GuI

Bernie later worked for Advent.

Here is also a link to an obituary which appeared in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/21/o...l-dies-at-48-ex-president-of-advent-corp.html

Attachments

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Ed Hart (Phase Linear President & former JBL Vice President of Marketing)

Here is a little background on Ed Hart who became president of Phase Linear in January 1981.

The January 17, 1981 issue of Billboard magazine states:

Ed Hart departs his post as executive vicepresident of JBL in Los Angeles to become president and chief operating officer of Phase Linear, the U.S. Pioneer subsidiary in Lynnwood, Wash.

The April 11, 1981 issue of Billboard:
ED HART IN COMMAND
Professional Mart Lures Phase Linear
LOS ANGELES -

Phase Linear, a veteran name in the high end, audiophile oriented component market, plans a major push now in the professional field.

According to recently named president and chief operating officer Ed Hart, who had helmed JBL's pro and consumer marketing previously, the move is evolutionary for the Lynnwood, Wash., firm, a U.S. Pioneer affiliate.

"Phase Linear products have already been used by sound contractors, for example, for pro applications," he explains.

Hart emphasizes, however that new Phase Linear pro products will not just be repackaged consumer units. The professional line will be specially designed and built for pros with a major emphasis on performance and road worthiness.

Phase Linear will make a formal presentation of the new pro line at the upcoming Audio Engineering Society (AES) convention next May in Los Angeles. The company was on hand at the recent L.A. National Assn. of Music Merchants (NAMM) expo emphasizing professional products for the first time.

Among initial pro products from Phase are the Model A -30 power amplifier at 125 watts per channel; the A -60 power amp at 225 watts per channel, expected to ship in June; and a 60 watt model expected to ship in mid July.

Upcoming products include a 10 band graphic equalizer for pro use and a crossover network.

Just completed is the appointment of seven rep companies around the U.S. which will handle distribution.of the products.

In a two year period, predicts Hart, some 50% of the firm's total volume will emanate from the pro side.

In the consumer realm, Phase makes available three amplifiers, three preamps, a real time analyzer, a tuner, a cassette deck, turntable, equalizer, two noise reduction units, speakers and a wood rack for storage.

Hart promises some new high end audio products in the consumer area for the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago next May, one with video applications.

The attached photo also includes a picture of another JBL employee who will joining Ed Hart at Phase Linear. That employee is Peter Horsman.

REP magazine dated August 1981:

"Peter Horsman has been appointed to the newly created position of national sales manager, Professional Products, for Phase Linear Corporation. In his new post, under the direction of sales vice president Bruce Lowry, Horsman will work to establish a broad based national network of professional audio dealers and representatives for the company's line of power amplifiers, graphic equalizers and active crossovers."

Attachments

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Here is an interesting article I saw a number of years ago that I was able to re-locate.

"International Competitiveness in Electronics"

"Case Studies in the Development and Marketing of Electronics Products*

"Consumer Electronics: The 700-Watt Power Amplifier"

scroll down through the document to appendix C:
http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk3/1983/8314/831417.PDF

Do you know the publication date on this Ed? Not apparent from the article.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Rodger Rosenbaum & Ray Weikel

Rodger Rosenbaum & Ray Weikel are (2) people who I thought I should mention that worked with Bob Carver in the early years before Phase Linear. They both repaired TV sets for Bob's University TV repair business. Bob had mentioned to me a number of years ago that these (2) gentlemen were very instrumental in educating him along the way. I believe that Ray may have also worked at Seattle Radio Supply along with Bob. If my memory serves me correct, Rodger may have also met Bob at Seattle Radio Supply as well.

Rodger Rosenbaum:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/rodger-rosenbaum/7/11b/ab

Ray Weikel:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ray-weikel/11/326/924

The attached black and white photo of Rodger Rosenbuam (when he worked at Tapco) is courtesy of Collen McNaur and Bob Gudgel.
The photo of Ray Weikel comes from the LinkedIn website

Attachments

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear 4000 - Bill Skinner (co designer with Bob Carver)

I was invited to a luncheon last week made up of employees who at one time or another worked in the audio or electronic business. Rodger Rosenbaum was there and he allowed me to take a photo of Bill Skinner's last driver license. Apparently Bill needed to renew his license as he was heading back to San Diego. Bill asked Rodger if he could use Rodger's address and Rodger said yes.

Unfortunately Bill Skinner and his brother Chris died in a motorcycle accident (Sept 13, 1986) after attending a anti-helmet wearing meeting and Bill never retrieved the license.
In this photo you will notice that Bill has a black eye he obtained while attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally.

For more on Bill see http://www.taihs.org/thanks-bill-skinner/

Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
Phase Linear on "Vinyl", new HBO production

It's been a tough time for me recently, therefore the silence and no posts here... Sorry guys!

Anyway, not sure you watched this: http://www.hbo.com/vinyl ?

According to the official announcement - "Vinyl" was created by Mick Jagger & Martin Scorsese & Rich Cohen and Terence Winter, as HBO new drama series set in 1970s New York. A ride through the sex- and drug-addled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hip-hop, the show is seen through the eyes of a record label president, Richie Finestra, played by Bobby Cannavale, who is trying to save his company and his soul without destroying everyone in his path. Additional series regulars include Olivia Wilde, Ray Romano, Ato Essandoh, Max Casella, P.J. Byrne, J.C. MacKenzie, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Juno Temple, Jack Quaid, James Jagger and Paul Ben-Victor. Scorsese, Jagger and Winter executive produce along with Victoria Pearman, Rick Yorn, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, John Melfi, Allen Coulter and George Mastras. Winter serves as showrunner. The 10-episode first season debuted February 14th.

While watching the first episode I spotted Phase Linear branded gears and you can see them on the attached picture :) ... Nice!

Have fun, I'm having it already after the series debut.

Attachments

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
An interesting tidbit from Facebook courtesy of ED....

AP VanMeter I certainly have heard about you from Steve Johnson. As you probably know, Bob got pretty angry at all of us left at Phase when he left the company. I stayed at Phase until the door closed for good. Went on to do aircraft avioics until i retired. Tell Bob hello for me.
Like · Reply · 1 · April 4 at 9:07am

David Ladely Yes, I know. The main reason I didn't get involved with the company is dealing with Bob in business. While well meaning, Bob tends to be isolated mentally and is in his own world. He has a limited awareness of the world around him. And Bob will sometimes make promises that he fails to fulfill after the promisee does what is asked, either forgetting the promises or the terms. He did finally fulfill his promise to build me an amp, me buying the parts, which he did recall and held. When I moved in with him in Lake City, he brought it up. I was working selling high end audio and came to the conclusion that the McIntosh and Marantz failed to really yield realistic sound because they ran out of power. I tried to convince Bob of that and failed. Everyone I talked to thought the idea was nuts. The audio world was completely convinced that the MacIntosh 275 and Marantz Model 9s were way MORE than enough power, as you may recall. So, when Bob wrote out a parts list, I simply replaced the 30 wqtt/channel amp parts (the largest amp Bob built) with the biggest, most powerful parts, such as 16 RCA 6550s, the biggest output transformers, huge power transformer (97 pounts), three chassis. Brought them all home at once, set them on the living room floor. When Bob came home from a TV call, he saw the parts and his eyes literally bugged out. As you can imagine, Bob worked hard on that project to the exclusion of his TV business, so I ran that for him. Well, when we hauled that monster to the store, hooked it up to the ElectroVoice Patricians and JBL Paragon, it made the McIntosh and Marantz amps sound pretty pathetic. For the first time, the character of a bass drum could realy be heard. Bob decided to build a solid state version and the rest is history. Bob does give me credit now for inspiring him as he knows he had been completely against my idea and would never be where he got to be. No vision. He was merely tweaking his 30 watt/channel homemade amps. Bob also said that me being right when he was so wrong blew his mind and caused him to revise his thinking and to try to use more vision, stretch his mind all the time. That lesson has gained him great recognition for innovation and even genius for coming up with the "super amp" idea. But, though I knew that the company would be a huge success, it would be at the expense of our friendship, so I remained a friend instead. Due entirely to his habit of false promises and other indiosyncracies. I did not know how to deal with that at the time and we could have become adversaries, even enemies. I am known as being firmly a man of my word, and back then my temper when crossed could be out of control. When I heard he left Phase under a cloud, I knew in my heart that Phase was doomed, that Pioneer did not have vision. Recently, I gave Bob a Wizard of Oz hat, and told him he was considered by most to be much like that, busily working in his lab, coming up with ideas. Bob knew about that, and asked my personal opinion about about why he sometimes has such problems as happened at Phase Linear.. I told him about his isolationism, failure to properly communicate his ideas and his reasoning behind many of his decisions, to include others. To share. Living in a bubble without realizing it. I don't think Bob, (or hardly anyone else) has the mental tools to really leverage a lifelong mindset. We brainstorm nowadays, and I also include my observations of how he deals with people and make suggestions, not that I am perfectly objective, but Bob does say he has a lot of respect for the way I think. That really helps and I do my best.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
An interesting tidbit from Facebook courtesy of ED....

AP VanMeter I certainly have heard about you from Steve Johnson. As you probably know, Bob got pretty angry at all of us left at Phase when he left the company. I stayed at Phase until the door closed for good. Went on to do aircraft avioics until i retired. Tell Bob hello for me.
Like · Reply · 1 · April 4 at 9:07am

David Ladely Yes, I know. The main reason I didn't get involved with the company is dealing with Bob in business. While well meaning, Bob tends to be isolated mentally and is in his own world. He has a limited awareness of the world around him. And Bob will sometimes make promises that he fails to fulfill after the promisee does what is asked, either forgetting the promises or the terms. He did finally fulfill his promise to build me an amp, me buying the parts, which he did recall and held. When I moved in with him in Lake City, he brought it up. I was working selling high end audio and came to the conclusion that the McIntosh and Marantz failed to really yield realistic sound because they ran out of power. I tried to convince Bob of that and failed. Everyone I talked to thought the idea was nuts. The audio world was completely convinced that the MacIntosh 275 and Marantz Model 9s were way MORE than enough power, as you may recall. So, when Bob wrote out a parts list, I simply replaced the 30 wqtt/channel amp parts (the largest amp Bob built) with the biggest, most powerful parts, such as 16 RCA 6550s, the biggest output transformers, huge power transformer (97 pounts), three chassis. Brought them all home at once, set them on the living room floor. When Bob came home from a TV call, he saw the parts and his eyes literally bugged out. As you can imagine, Bob worked hard on that project to the exclusion of his TV business, so I ran that for him. Well, when we hauled that monster to the store, hooked it up to the ElectroVoice Patricians and JBL Paragon, it made the McIntosh and Marantz amps sound pretty pathetic. For the first time, the character of a bass drum could realy be heard. Bob decided to build a solid state version and the rest is history. Bob does give me credit now for inspiring him as he knows he had been completely against my idea and would never be where he got to be. No vision. He was merely tweaking his 30 watt/channel homemade amps. Bob also said that me being right when he was so wrong blew his mind and caused him to revise his thinking and to try to use more vision, stretch his mind all the time. That lesson has gained him great recognition for innovation and even genius for coming up with the "super amp" idea. But, though I knew that the company would be a huge success, it would be at the expense of our friendship, so I remained a friend instead. Due entirely to his habit of false promises and other indiosyncracies. I did not know how to deal with that at the time and we could have become adversaries, even enemies. I am known as being firmly a man of my word, and back then my temper when crossed could be out of control. When I heard he left Phase under a cloud, I knew in my heart that Phase was doomed, that Pioneer did not have vision. Recently, I gave Bob a Wizard of Oz hat, and told him he was considered by most to be much like that, busily working in his lab, coming up with ideas. Bob knew about that, and asked my personal opinion about about why he sometimes has such problems as happened at Phase Linear.. I told him about his isolationism, failure to properly communicate his ideas and his reasoning behind many of his decisions, to include others. To share. Living in a bubble without realizing it. I don't think Bob, (or hardly anyone else) has the mental tools to really leverage a lifelong mindset. We brainstorm nowadays, and I also include my observations of how he deals with people and make suggestions, not that I am perfectly objective, but Bob does say he has a lot of respect for the way I think. That really helps and I do my best.

that is an interesting perspective

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear 4000 Review (Audio Magazine November 1975)

Phase Linear 4000 review which appeared in Audio magazine November 1975. The review starts on page 58.

Compliments of: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1975-11.pdf

Attachments