Phase Linear (Magazine Reviews, Articles, Etc.)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So, it's always been about the "sound" , not just the power.......and now it's even moreso......thanks to Joe....

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
just post and go eh?? Ya don't hang around much do ya Ed??
Well....... my wife keeps me too busy with honey do's that I don't get to much time to just hang out on Phoenix forum as much as I'd like.
Maybe after the garage gets cleaned out and I get rid of all of my stuff I'll have more time to do whatever I want when I want. LOL!!!
Nah she will keep me busy doing something. Ain't retirement great?

I'll post whenever I can.

Take care!

Ed

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The Absolute Sound Vol. 1 No. 1 , spring 1973
"on the cover"

Check out the article on page 22
http://www.slideshare.net/edwhiu1/tas-volume-1issue1

[/QUOTE

I had a copy of that issue when it was new - more like a pamphlet than a magazine. I had just st bought my first pair of Advents and immediately lusted for a double system after reading that review in there. Finally got the 2nd pair in 1974.

That was also the first time I heard the name Phase Linear and it's review obviously proclaimed it to be the best amp on the planet. I mean better even than McIntosh had to make it the best one ever but so far above affordability, it was laughable. That read stuck in my mind and made me jump at the chance in 1990 to buy the one I have now for including a 1BX for $200 when they came in on trade.

I did try several cheaper amps in the intervening time including (based on what The Absolute Sound said about it), a Crown DC300. My ears were pretty young but even then, I did't get why that amp was so hyped. I only kept it a week.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Interesting stuff in there Ed. What grabbed your attention, other than the ad??

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear 700 Ad (Audio Magazine) (January 1971)

Here is an ad which I believe was first used in January 1971 in Audio magazine.

CORRECTION: The first ad appeared in Audio magazine December 1970 on page 88.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1970-12.pdf

If so, I would find this interesting since it has the Seattle, WA address (in the Richmond Beach neighborhood of what is now Shoreline, WA).

Considering that there is a several month lead time in advance of an issue coming out, the amp was either a bridge amp, a Kelly DeYong amp or an empty chassis at the time. The PL0171 pc board was not used until sometime after January 1971.

By the way, the Seattle address no longer exists. I believe they were using the bottom floor or basement of an old grocery store (at the address noted in the ad) which predates their move to the bottom of the grocery story at 405 Howell Way in Edmonds, WA. If my memory serves me correct, Steve Johnston, Greg Johnston and another friend (whose name escapes me) were living down the street (from this location) at what was once the Handy Spot Market. Bob was living near "Firdale Village" a couple miles away.

NOTE: Credit must go to the phaselinearhistory website for this photo.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
The Absolute Sound Vol. 1 No. 1 , spring 1973
"on the cover"

Check out the article on page 22
http://www.slideshare.net/edwhiu1/tas-volume-1issue1

Interesting stuff:

1) McIntosh was whooped by Phase and Crown amps of the day.
2) Lights dimmed when the Phase was used. I think this reflects a lot on the wiring in most homes of that day. A lot of 60 amp services in homes back then.
3) They are dead on the stunning difference a 700 can have on the Advent. On a pair that I used to own, it was like a totally different speaker when the 700 was hooked up to it. Not even close to other amps. Some sort of synergy there no doubt.
4) Would have been interesting to have a WOPL in the group back when they did this review.