Phase Linear and Pink Floyd

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
MJK & THE QUAD SQUAD

As Pink Floyd were preparing for their touring onslaught of 1972, another new crew member arrived on the scene. Mainly known today as the founder of MJK Productions, and the man at the helm of productions such as The BRIT Awards, as well as the recipient of the 2005 TPi Lifetime Contribution Award, Mick Kluczynski had worked with a number of Scottish bands since 1965, one of whom received an offer to record in London in 1971 as Cliff Bennett's backing band. Kluczynski accompanied them but the whole deal soon fell to pieces. One of the band members, Chris Adamson, survived by working as Floyd’s road manager and arranged for Kluczynski to also join their small team as part of the ‘Quad Squad’.

"There was no formal crew, just four of us loosely employed to handle all aspects of the sound and rigging," says Kluczynski. "My first job was to empty the tour manager's garage, and return all the old WEM PA columns to Charlie Watkins, because we had just taken delivery of the latest generation of PA. The 2 x 15-inch bins had a Vitavox horn on the top and a JBL 075 bullet super tweeter, and I used to carry these things on my back up into balconies!

“When we played the first Earls Court show, we used our maximum number of Kelsey and Martin bins and horns. The bins were three high, with 13 at each side of the stage, and in the centre piece where there were bins missing was a column of JBL horns. On top of those, we had a row of double Vitavox horns, on the back of which were throats that we had made up, which took two Electro-Voice 1829 drivers in the same throat. Electro-Voice claimed it wouldn't work, but we got up to four in one throat.

“One quad section would drive two horns in one phase direction, and another quad section would drive another two in the opposite phase direction. But EV wouldn't believe it until they saw 15,000 people walk out of Earls Court at the end of the night dazed and speechless."

In an A/B text during rehearsals, the band's existing WEM amplifiers came second place to the new American Phase Linear models, discovered by Kelsey, and so yet another injection of quality was given to their PA. It was common for Pink Floyd to modify off- the-shelf equipment for their own purposes, thereby creating unique products.

Along with Crown and BGW, Phase Linear became one of the few brands of amplification taken seriously by the top touring bands of the early '70s. Whilst the Phase Linear 400 and 700 models were taken on board by the Floyd, because of their superior sound quality, in their regular domestic format they were unfit for the rigours of the road due to their slight physical construction and the weight of the transformers on their chassis. To compensate for this, the band's technicians designed a new metal chassis into which the amp would fit, while the mains transformer was removed from the amp and supported horizontally on the outside of the chassis.

Acclaimed by critics as "rock's first conceptual masterpiece", The Dark Side Of The Moon (TDSOTM) was officially premiered as Eclipse over the four nights of February 17-20 at the Rainbow. The standard show at the time consisted of two sets: the first featured earlier numbers such as ‘Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun’, ‘Careful With That Axe, Eugene’, and ‘Echoes’; the second consisted of what was to later be known as TDSOTM (then without the ‘Eclipse’ finale which was yet to be written). ‘One Of These Days’ was reserved as a breathtaking encore.

Kluczynski recalls that his first show as a crew member, the opening night of this tour at the Brighton Dome, ended in disaster. He says: "In those days, we didn't understand how to separate power sufficiently between sound and lights. That was the only show that we had to cancel and re-organise, because we were all sharing the same power source. The Leslies on stage sounded like a cage full of monkeys, because they were sharing a common earth...

Attachments

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
I've long forgotten who the source of the story was, but he had to have heard the early quad system. While the house lights were still up, those who had good ears could hear a fly buzzing around. Over, to the side, and gradually the sound level increased enough to quiet the audience. Heads turned to follow the fly. I always assumed Wright had invented the joystick and somehow fastened it to his keyboards (can you tell I was an early synth junkie?) but it must have been the tape machine patched through the quad pan device. The idea that the sound system can work for you fits in with Floyd philosophy that the band created performance environments, not simply songs.

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
The idea that the sound system can work for you fits in with Floyd philosophy that the band created performance environments, not simply songs.
Yes nakdoc, you are so much right! Thank you for comments, thought no one reads this thread :)... You made my day!

Another interesting article on the topic:

[...]
Mike Mettler: Let me pick a date out of the air – May 12, 1967, which as far as I can tell, was the first live quadrophonic performance by a rock act, anywhere.
Roger Waters: Mm-hmm. Games for May.
Mettler: How did that decision come about? Nobody had done that before, so what was your thought process as an artist for doing it?
Waters: That’s a very interesting question. I think probably it had something to do with Bernard Speight at EMI, because we had asked him to design a pan pot, the Azimuth Coordinator. He built a mono one – well, not a mono pot, obviously, it had one in and four outs. Yeah, so they were two big, old-fashioned 270-degree pots converted to 90, as I recall, with the gimbal [i.e., the control] in the middle, so it was like the universal drum – well, you probably know all about it. But I have no memory of why we tried to use that in the room.
[...]

Source: 50 Years Ago Today, Pink Floyd Debuted Live Quad During ‘Games for May’ Performance in London; Roger Waters & Nick Mason Recall Its Origins

And maybe this one, too:

[...]
Many years ago, in the earlier part of their career, Pink Floyd had been experimenting with a device inscrutably known as the Azimuth Coordinator. It was not a magic box for aligning type machine heads as the name might suggest but a very glorified term for what we now know as a quad pan pot. Its use at live concerts at that time very likely inspired considerable audience interest in multichannel sound systems and in a mild way may have contributed towards the now booming industry of quadraphony. Many groups have recently adopted quadraphonic pa systems for live shows, the size and power of which seem to be increasing. Quadraphonic record sales are also on the increase, despite the indecision both on the part of the public and record companies about which of the various systems provide the best results and compatibility.
[...]

Source: Four Sides of the Moon By Alan Parsons, originally published in Studio Sound magazine (now defunct), June 1975

Attachments

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Looks like the quad system was independent of the on-stage house sound from the diagram you posted. That explains Gilmour's comment about the guitar levels not exactly showing up on tape. Speaking of tape, wouldn't you love to find a shelf of taped sounds integrated into the earliest PF shows? I've always love Granchester Meadows with its recorded nature sounds. Was that song ever performed live?

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I passed this thread to my Brother to read. He used to run the Kelly Deyong sound system. And seen a ton of different bands preform

He sent me this message back about a tribute band to Pink Floyd here in Canada.

From bro.
“That’s cool, we went to see pigs a tribute Pink Floyd band on Friday and they are amazing. You could close your eyes and you were teleported back to the 79’s. The guitar player has replicated Gilmore perfectly, even found the same analog tape echo. If you get the chance go and enjoy. It is a tribute but the best I have heard.”

Here is there link
https://www.pigfloydinc.com/