phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Gene, From my understanding over the years when talking about outputs and lot #'s. When buying a set of outputs I would hope they are a matched set. But in the photo below the Toshiba has an R designation. you want to keep the same letters together because of the GAIN and other characteristics. Its just a better performance when doing that. If you put R's and O's together the amp will work but I like to keep that from happening.
View media item 32383
i ran into a similar situation on the sx1080...the 737s are almost impossible to find...pioneer listed 845s as replacements...both are batwings...the 845s came in 2 variants...only the o version would function as a replacement...i did change out the drivers too...
that was my 1st experience with vintage stereos...
the sx is also a great sounding radio....but, i keep in my mind my first time seeing a phase linear...lol
took my breath..the fire-breathing beast!!!

gene french

Tagline
well rob, today is your lucky day!!!
just fired up the 8 fin...
tweaked the bias a bit...
and listened to sarah connor...
sooo
i called off the assassins....lol
thanks rob...things worked out just as it was supposed to!!!
i am appreciative...to all...

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Gene, From my understanding over the years when talking about outputs and lot #'s. When buying a set of outputs I would hope they are a matched set. But in the photo below the Toshiba has an R designation. you want to keep the same letters together because of the GAIN and other characteristics. Its just a better performance when doing that. If you put R's and O's together the amp will work but I like to keep that from happening.
View media item 32383
As Perry would say...HUH???

gene french

Tagline
i now have 3 properly functioning phase linears...
and a pioneer sx1080...
i only need the ps caps for the 200...recap, change to leds and upgrade the caps on the 8 fin....and of course my old 4 fin is truckin along....
waiting a bit on joe to ship things for the wopl build...THANK ALL OF YOU!!!

Attachments

Rob

New Around These Parts
well rob, today is your lucky day!!!
just fired up the 8 fin...
tweaked the bias a bit...
and listened to sarah connor...
sooo
i called off the assassins....lol
thanks rob...things worked out just as it was supposed to!!!
i am appreciative...to all...
I loved the sound of that amp. It seemed so warm and I have always loved the huge meters.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
View media item 32383
I think I need to run a seminar on the topic of (lack of need for) matching of output transistors and the function of emitter resistors and the local negative feedback that these emitter resistors provide.

gene french

Tagline
i now have 3 properly functioning phase linears...
and a pioneer sx1080...
i only need the ps caps for the 200...recap, change to leds and upgrade the caps on the 8 fin....and of course my old 4 fin is truckin along....
waiting a bit on joe to ship things for the wopl build...THANK ALL OF YOU!!!
rob...check out the differences in the tint in the meters when machines are side by side so to speak....my old 4 fin is much darker....just as joe said it would be....

gene french

Tagline
this emblem is for the front of the machine i am building...for my personal use...as a tribute to joes company for his design combined with the original phase linear 400......it is not for commercial use...i think it is a nice thing to do in appreciation of the help and inspiration he has shown me...others mileage may vary....
as joe said in this thread...if he ever finds the time maybe one day he will consider investigating a logo for his business....i dont feel i am stepping on toes...just showing respect...