phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
i used subbox program to design the woofer cabinet...with front port...optimum 5.7 cubic ft...resonant at 24hz...searched parts-express for what i wanted...all drivers are dayton audio with matching sensitivity 92db +- <1db...rated at 200 watts...tweeter soft dome rated 50 watts and sealed...box is 1" mdf with an all thread through center of woofer cabinet...to prevent bulging and flex...we painted with automotive paint...used our branding iron to mark the decorative trim...used xsim as a starting guide for xovers...12db 2nd order...crossover @ 500hz and 4500hz...using dayton components...mounted externally for easier access to fine tuning...used non slip silicone drawer liner under speakers and crossovers to stop them from walking all over the room...maria had to learn the hard way not to put knick knacks on the speakers...lol
i have a calibrated mike and grafted output in excel...i was happy with results...
thank you for being interested!!!!

Attachments

George S.

Gene, what's the name of that program? I have a MiniDsp UMIK-1 USB microphone. Might give that program a try.
For a good while I've been considering stacking the JBL Millenniums on top of the subs, but haven't because the tweeters are now at head level when seated. Still considering it because it would free up some floor space.

gene french

Tagline
Gene, what's the name of that program? I have a MiniDsp UMIK-1 USB microphone. Might give that program a try.
For a good while I've been considering stacking the JBL Millenniums on top of the subs, but haven't because the tweeters are now at head level when seated. Still considering it because it would free up some floor space.
audio tool....
it is not free....
but, short of pro equipment....
it is good...
less than 10 bucks
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=audio tool&c=apps
there are other programs called things closely resembling audio tool...
you want to use the one from this link....

get the dayton audio imm-6 calibrated mike....
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-iMM-6-Calibrated-Measurement/dp/B00ADR2B84
like 25 bucks...
they will give you a serial number....
you go to the website and download the calibration file using the serial number....comes as a sticker on the can it comes in...
then you put it into the audio tool app....only need to do it once...they everytime you pull up audio tool....is thinks you are using the calibrated mic
these two are built for each other....audio tool recommends the mike....1mm-6 recommends audio tool....
you will need a headphone/mike jack on your phone...or order the adapter...
and a long rca male stereo cable to 3.5 mm stereo male jack...
and i have a cell mount for my tripod....it goes 1m from the speakers....and set the amp as best you can at one watt....
it was easy....even gene got it...lol

i downloaded other apps....maybe 5 or 6...nothing came remotely close to this combo....

since i am not a pro....this works well in my home enviornment....
ultimate test is your ears....but, you already know that....
and a lot more than me!!!

again....thanks for your support....i will be here if there is anything i can do for you and/or the group

gene french

Tagline
Not at this minute. Too many things going on. I do have a 400 8 finner, a Revox A77 and a Tandberg RTR all in the wings. Parts are starting to trickle in.
as you probably know....i have a full wopl in transit...and i bought a working 8 fin....and a parts 4 fin....

i am considering buying a chassis from joe....and putting the 8 fins on it...
i would love to find a few sets of fins to put on the ones i have that are 4 fin....
if i cant i will go to the metal shop....that guy is good...

i will have to lookup a revox and tandberg....lol
thats ok....we all start at the beginning....

gene french

Tagline
audio tool....
it is not free....
but, short of pro equipment....
it is good...
less than 10 bucks
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=audio tool&c=apps
there are other programs called things closely resembling audio tool...
you want to use the one from this link....

get the dayton audio imm-6 calibrated mike....
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-iMM-6-Calibrated-Measurement/dp/B00ADR2B84
like 25 bucks...
they will give you a serial number....
you go to the website and download the calibration file using the serial number....comes as a sticker on the can it comes in...
then you put it into the audio tool app....only need to do it once...they everytime you pull up audio tool....is thinks you are using the calibrated mic
these two are built for each other....audio tool recommends the mike....1mm-6 recommends audio tool....
you will need a headphone/mike jack on your phone...or order the adapter...
and a long rca male stereo cable to 3.5 mm stereo male jack...
and i have a cell mount for my tripod....it goes 1m from the speakers....and set the amp as best you can at one watt....
it was easy....even gene got it...lol

i downloaded other apps....maybe 5 or 6...nothing came remotely close to this combo....

since i am not a pro....this works well in my home enviornment....
ultimate test is your ears....but, you already know that....
and a lot more than me!!!

again....thanks for your support....i will be here if there is anything i can do for you and/or the group
when i did all of this setting up my speakers....this combo really came in handy....i had a dip at one crossover point....500hz if i remember right .... according to what i read and watched on youtube....i reversed the polarity of each of the speakers one at a time in different combos...and recharting in between....i was the flattest with the woofer and tweeter wired normally and the midrange polarity reversed....i saved a lot of those grafts i used when setting up the crossovers and speaker placement...
xsim is the best program for the crossover simulations...but, one must remember that these are only satisfying the electrical needs of the speakers....
the mike and audio tool....helps you satisfy the audio portion of the equation....as electronics have tolerances, etc....and speakers have individual characteristics due to manufacturing...
and you are looking for it to sound good....nothing beats an audio alignment...

gene french

Tagline
Gene, I meant to tell you... I've been in New Orleans all week. Stayed right on Bourbon St. Spent more time on Frenchman though.
go down to st. phillip....visit the second skin....
lol....you will get a kick out of that...
if its still open....

cats meow??

did you have beignets in cafe du monde??
the french onion soup will make you go home and whip your mother!!!
new orleans has some of the best food in the world...
check out aquarium of the americas and the riverwalk....

mardi gras there is unbelievable....but, a lot of sugar for a nickel....
mardi gras in mamou....will be one to remember....
or make the crawfish festival in breaux bridge....
for something you can tell your grandkids...
lol

and nothing better to do on a saturday morning than freds lounge in mamou...
lol

ABebar

Journeyman
I drank more sazerak and Bourbon Old Fashioned's then anything else mixed in with quite a few beers. I did have a hurricane with breakfast though.
Flying back home to Chicago now. Had some good oysters and gumbo. Some crawfish. A few po boys. No beignets this time around.
I came back in 2018 for Mardi Gras. This was a completely different experience.

gene french

Tagline
i loved watching the artists and street performers in jackson square....

is pat obrians still open....had the two grand pianos on stage??

i think one was copper clad???

new orleans is a culturally unique place....spanish architecture with french traditions...

i am glad you enjoyed!!!
lots of good people there..
i used to be one of them!!!

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Congrats on getting the amp up and running! Diligence paid off.

I like that RTA ... I went a different route, AudioControl SA-4140i SPL. Pricey but versatile - more functions to learn about, probably more than I will ever need. Does your app come with a pink noise generator too? This calibrated mic has pink, white, sine and square wave outputs built in. My iPhone runs the app that presents all the graphics. Seems to do the job.

Attachments