phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
That NP capacitor is probably in the signal path and if the signal is not bias, the NP capacitor is the better choice since the original capacitor was likely reverse biased every time the signal changed polarity. A film cap might be even better.
thats what the man said....
must be true....if somebody agrees...
lol
thanks guys

gene french

Tagline
Well I am guessing you got that Schiit I sent ya. How does it sound. Hopefully not like shit.
not yet...its just now leaving miami...i did get one magni 3+ and one heresy...both work great...
but, i need the dac...lol
maybe by end of next week....
i am learning patience ...lol

not sure i need the equalizer....it sounds nice...
does anybody here use them???

good morning btw...hope all is good!!!

George S.

I do have a Schiit Modi 3 DAC on the big system between a Lenovo desktop work station set up as a PC, and the PL2000 preamp. Works great, no issues. Personally, I use no equalization in the system, including the controls on the preamp, everything is set "flat". I have further equalization and active crossover filters in the MiniDsp that the two audio out cables from the preamp feed, but again I keep equalization flat, and just use the active crossover filters for the four audio cables that come out and drive two amps. The MiniDsp connects to the Lenovo via a USB cable, and is configured via software. This is how the preamp drives two amps, one for the subs, and one for the mains. Spectrum filtering with sharp cutoff slopes to the speakers, but no eq.

gene french

Tagline
I do have a Schiit Modi 3 DAC on the big system between a Lenovo desktop work station set up as a PC, and the PL2000 preamp. Works great, no issues. Personally, I use no equalization in the system, including the controls on the preamp, everything is set "flat". I have further equalization and active crossover filters in the MiniDsp that the two audio out cables from the preamp feed, but again I keep equalization flat, and just use the active crossover filters for the four audio cables that come out and drive two amps. The MiniDsp connects to the Lenovo via a USB cable, and is configured via software. This is how the preamp drives two amps, one for the subs, and one for the mains. Spectrum filtering with sharp cutoff slopes to the speakers, but no eq.
well, i am 72 and cant hear above 14000hz....seems i miss some things....from the way i remember music....ie doobie brothers black water...and the tingling triangles...dont seem as viberant as they used to....or maybe i have exagerated memories...lol
so i do turn up the treble boost all the way on the sx....it has such booming bass if you interact with the controls....i used to like that...but, not any more i guess....i like the clean sounds of the instruments when not drowned out by the overdriven bass....both phase linears seem to be a good combo on bass....for me...flat is just right....i would use it to highlight the spectrum above 12k and subdue just a bit 6 to 8 k range....sometimes...
i think i will just run it as you guys....flat for a while and see what develops....
can i see some pics of your systems....i am not going retro...i just want to stream....i have no access to vinyl and tapes...nor do i want to open that can of worms....but, by god...i do remember those days....had to tip toe across the room not to make the turntable skip....was tracking every so lightly....
modern houses today are on slabs...and its not quite that bad....lol
please, pics
and keep up the advice....i would like to build up a memorable system...
maybe two 400s and a 200 in some configuration....
any way....thank each and every one of you

gene french

Tagline
Oh, and Monoprice has some reasonably priced Monolith Audio USB cables to feed the Schiit.
that is the dac i have coming...i got through vsat88,,,,it has arrived in miami and will be here probably by the end of next week....
i bid on 2 schiit preamps on ebay...thinking i could get one...one was heresy and the other magni 3+...
well, as luck would have it...i now have two....everybody needs a spare....not decided which i think sounds better...
they both are nice....or nice enough for me...
on a different note...
yesterday was the first day of the new president of costa ricas term....
his first action....effective yesterday....no more masks
second action...no more "coerced" vaccines....
people are rejoicing in the street...
lol...
the last few years have been memorable...and i think 22 is gonna right up there in memories....with gas, food prices, and inflation...
sometimes its nice to be an old man....retired....and not embroiled in these events....
gotta go feed the birds...
thanks again...

gene french

Tagline
not yet...its just now leaving miami...i did get one magni 3+ and one heresy...both work great...
but, i need the dac...lol
maybe by end of next week....
i am learning patience ...lol

not sure i need the equalizer....it sounds nice...
does anybody here use them???

good morning btw...hope all is good!!!
just checked the websites....seems my/your dac is in customs...
i hope they dont like it more then we do...
lol

gene