phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
i think there are a few high performance guys here...maybe a few opinions/facts would be appreciated...restoring 97 rav4...(because i want to!!!...lol)...down to the wire...one problem left...besides swapping leds for bulbs...is the p0325 code...bad knock sensor...i think this is the wide band type...but cant prove it beyond doubt...any way...from my research...there are 2 tests...resistance and knock test with wrench...i think the sensor has a built in resistor around 100k ohms...i think the ecu looks for that value to determine the sensor is good...and responds to any a/c voltage generated by the sensors...i know racers bypass this circuit for max performance...would a 100k resistor in the knock sensor wiring fool the computer???
i am not worried about ping...i always use super and do not lug the engine...i noticed that the check engine light is not lit...as it should be with this code...pretty sure they removed the bulb before selling the car as it doesnt lite up in ignition bulb test mode...i bought this as a spare when i rolled the dodge...decided to fix it up and use it for the every day errand running..
and it makes sure i have a decoy in the yard when we go out....petty theft is very prevalent here...goodd morning to all...

George S.

I'd fix the check engine light and the sensor or wiring.
I don't see a check engine light as a annoyance.
I see it as a built in diagnostic indicator that's helpful. I really like modern fuel injection and coil packs versus the old carburators, chokes, and points.
With a good code reader and the Internet for reference, it's relatively easy to figure out what needs replaced to clear a code.

gene french

Tagline
I'd fix the check engine light and the sensor or wiring.
I don't see a check engine light as a annoyance.
I see it as a built in diagnostic indicator that's helpful. I really like modern fuel injection and coil packs versus the old carburators, chokes, and points.
With a good code reader and the Internet for reference, it's relatively easy to figure out what needs replaced to clear a code.
i have all instrument bulbs to led conversion on order...be here next week along with a new knock sensor...was just thinkin...i knpw thats dangerous, but i cant help myself...i have a 2 way autel code reader...bought it a while back to keep the dodge tip top ..

George S.

I think it comes down to dependability for a daily driver, or backup vehicle.
I have a carbureted Chevy 350 in the old Jeep M715 pickup. NOT a daily driver.
My daily driver's are all modern with fuel injection and electronic ignition and need to be able to go cross country with no issues.
The 94 Chevy minivan needed a rebuilt drivetrain ECM (computer) to tame the check engine light.
But was worthwhile. I'll drive it anywhere.
And I know the on board diagnostics work correctly if there is a issue.

gene french

Tagline
a bad knock sensor retards timing and enriches the fuel...the car runs a bit rough..with a little hesitation on heavy acceleration...no other codes returned...
i had no control of what the previous owner did...
nor what he did to pass off the car as good condition to sell...i think i have redone most of the short cut that were taken...the plastic interior is in perfect shape except for the a/c vents dont function as intended...due to beolen plastic pieces in the rear...they dont show bad...it only has a 2 liter power plant...and with a/c it needs every cc...lol
its been fun...
got a new to me 4 wheeler to spruce up next...

Attachments

George S.

Nice 4 wheeler, every ranch needs one!
Could be a dirty MAP sensor. They do need cleaned with the appropriate spray occasionally.
May have the wrong plugs in it. Use the brand and part# of the plugs Toyota recommends.
No fancy so called high performance plugs!
AC Delco Iridium where called for, old AC Delco Double Copper where called for, or whatever Toyota calls for, probably a Denso product.
Service the PVC valve or whatever crankcase ventilation system it uses.
Lots of things will cause issues and not throw a code including minor vacuum leaks.

gene french

Tagline
Nice 4 wheeler, every ranch needs one!
Could be a dirty MAP sensor. They do need cleaned with the appropriate spray occasionally.
May have the wrong plugs in it. Use the brand and part# of the plugs Toyota recommends.
No fancy so called high performance plugs!
AC Delco Iridium where called for, old AC Delco Double Copper where called for, or whatever Toyota calls for, probably a Denso product.
Service the PVC valve or whatever crankcase ventilation system it uses.
Lots of things will cause issues and not throw a code including minor vacuum leaks.
already did the standard tune up...plugs wires dist cap rotor..

mlucitt

My 2005 Chevy Silverado truck had an in-line fuel filter in the frame rail and I would replace it every 20K miles. Imagine my disappointment when I went to the local auto parts store to buy a fuel filter for my 2019 Suburban...
The fuel filter is inside the fuel tank! I imagine there is a lot of crud inside my fuel tank.