phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Gene, I don't see you this morn...... Did your electrical systems all fry???? Maybe the ruskies hit the power grid with a heat seeking moisture missile. HUH????
DONT PAY THE RANSOM....

I GOT AWAY!!!

lolol

right channel wired...

trying to exhibit patience instead of mania...

look sniff....no puddles on the wire...i was extra careful!!!!

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
DONT PAY THE RANSOM....

I GOT AWAY!!!

lolol

right channel wired...

trying to exhibit patience instead of mania...

look sniff....no puddles on the wire...i was extra careful!!!!
Gene, you should invest in a decent set of side cutters...the pair in the picture look like lineman's pliers

gene french

Tagline
Gene, you should invest in a decent set of side cutters...the pair in the picture look like lineman's pliers
the may well be...
you are right...
some newer tools would be nice...
those must be 30 years old...
and they are a bit dull...
but i do have the new wire cutter stripper recommended at pl central courtesy of phoenix audio forum...
thanks for the advice...i appreciate!!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
the may well be...
you are right...
some newer tools would be nice...
those must be 30 years old...
and they are a bit dull...
but i do have the new wire cutter stripper recommended at pl central courtesy of phoenix audio forum...
thanks for the advice...i appreciate!!!
Spring for some Xcelite 170MN side cutters.

George S.

Gene, your not going to run your one red and one white "Out 1" meter signal wires off the DCP speaker positive stud connections?
Also, what about Joe's "Continuous Improvement" ground with respect to wire #5. See post #430 for a reminder.
This build is a improvement over your last, good job!
https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/pl-700-pro-build.9965/page-22

gene french

Tagline
Gene, your not going to run your one red and one white "Out 1" meter signal wires off the DCP speaker positive stud connections?
Also, what about Joe's "Continuous Improvement" ground with respect to wire #5. See post #430 for a reminder.
the wiring is not complete...
and yes i plan to do exactly that...tomorrow i will pull the old wopl down to add mod to dcp...and compare wiring..and look how i removed zobel network
.i dont have meters for this unit...but i will wire accordingly in case i find some...and thank you mr george!!!
wire number 5 connects to control board...no connection on backplane...according to docs...
i was wiring according to docs ....off of the wire length chart...i will repeat the same mods on the new as the old one...
i appreciate yoir compliments..i have been working hard at taking my time....

gene french

Tagline

George S.

And your going to have a minor issue in the corner with the IEC socket being upside down, limiting screw length due to interference.
Joe includes a very short sheet metal screw with the hardware. It's a good short length and will work on that corner very well, but looks like larger screws have been used and the original threads are gone.
Maybe shorten those with your grinder or get some shorter ones as those are way too long to safely use.
One other thing. Your running your AC Primary wires from the IEC socket and thermal breaker under the front of the upper cap, to the transformer. Your mixing "noisy" 60 Hz 115 VAC with those B+ 80 VDC and ground wires. Not good. Run those AC Primary wires all the way back to the corner, under or over the B+ cap, then beside the rectifier to the transformer. Keep AC seperated from DC for lowest noise.

George S.

i dont think its post 430???
Yup, post 430 towards the bottom, pull those #5 wires out and solder the hole shut. He also announced it elsewhere later, forget where.
Your doing a good job, considering where you live and how hard it is to get parts and supplies, keep up the good work! Later.

gene french

Tagline
And your going to have a minor issue in the corner with the IEC socket being upside down, limiting screw length due to interference.
Joe includes a very short sheet metal screw with the hardware. It's a good short length and will work on that corner very well, but looks like larger screws have been used and the original threads are gone.
Maybe shorten those with your grinder or get some shorter ones as those are way too long to safely use.
One other thing. Your running your AC Primary wires from the IEC socket and thermal breaker under the front of the upper cap, to the transformer. Your mixing "noisy" 60 Hz 115 VAC with those B+ 80 VDC and ground wires. Not good. Run those AC Primary wires all the way back to the corner, under or over the B+ cap, then beside the rectifier to the transformer. Keep AC seperated from DC for lowest noise.
i installed the iec socket the way it was installed on the upgraded chassis...and i will modify the screws as necessary...ibwill have to addredd two sctews in the bottom plate as they touch the backplanes also...the upgraded case handled these pesky issues...i had to drill new holes in the chassis to accomodate the bottom mount for backplane boards...existing hole where bias trandistors were wasnt even close...that was touchy...
i will study the path of the ac as i dont understand...is this where we installed the terminal strip ...the other wopl has cradle caps ...mine are wall mounted...i just too screen shot to use as documentation when i look at the wiring...i sm a bit lost.

gene french

Tagline
Really need a terminal strip to do that primary wiring nicely. Can't recall if I sent one or two.
two...i have another strip...i will study when i open the other unit along with your post ...i also forgot where the red wire goes to on the dcp board...i have more studying to do. .

gene french

Tagline
Yup, post 430 towards the bottom, pull those #5 wires out and solder the hole shut. He also announced it elsewhere later, forget where.
Your doing a good job, considering where you live and how hard it is to get parts and supplies, keep up the good work! Later.
i was in this thread...not yours...i found it ..
i will need to do the same to the othet wopl...this is the first i heard of this mod...thanks for bringing it to my attention...

gene french

Tagline
does this mod apply to a 400?
i saw it was in reference to your 700 build?
first i have heard of this ...

George S.

I never thought about the bias transistor mount being off. Glad you have another terminal strip. That will simplify things. You may have to move the rectifier, buts that's easy compared to drilling the bias transistor mounting holes.
Happy you found the "Continuous Improvement" ground upgrade instructions. Seems I remember you running the two extra wires off the star ground, but not sure.
Yup, study your first WOPL and this second one will become clearer. Later Gene.