phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
good afternoon....
my new to me 8 fin which had loose meters in it...that was because someone previously has been into them...they were not bolted down in the case...
looks like the return springs on both have been damaged....the movement is free...i cleaned it up...used a little lube...
it will not return to 0...it just goes where ever...but freely and not binding anywhere....
the springs that look like a watch mainspring in the front and back...
this is above my pay grade...
is there anyone here that works on these meters...
or is there a fix for the little springs...
maybe another solution??
this unit was really beat up....
sure am glad it was cheap....
this is from the same place the 700 was...
now i know why both were so cheap....lol
thanks

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
good afternoon....
my new to me 8 fin which had loose meters in it...that was because someone previously has been into them...they were not bolted down in the case...
looks like the return springs on both have been damaged....the movement is free...i cleaned it up...used a little lube...
it will not return to 0...it just goes where ever...but freely and not binding anywhere....
the springs that look like a watch mainspring in the front and back...
this is above my pay grade...
is there anyone here that works on these meters...
or is there a fix for the little springs...
maybe another solution??
this unit was really beat up....
sure am glad it was cheap....
this is from the same place the 700 was...
now i know why both were so cheap....lol
thanks

You LUBED the meters???? If yes, you just ruined them

gene french

Tagline
Me and Glen have worked on dozens of meters. Never on one that had been LUBED
Solutions??? Put pictures of the grandkids in the meter holes. Who cares if the meters work. They are not accurate, they are slower that the music, and are only for keeping stoners busy.
agreed....but, i would still like to have functioning meters....
if i can get them fixed....a previous owner must have grabbed one of the spring with needle noses and pulled it until the coil was a straight wire in one of them....they look cooler with meters than without...imho...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
agreed....but, i would still like to have functioning meters....
if i can get them fixed....a previous owner must have grabbed one of the spring with needle noses and pulled it until the coil was a straight wire in one of them....they look cooler with meters than without...imho...
That's what happens when you are buying budget based basket cases. The solution to that is quit trying to save a dollar (Peso) and buy a good amp.

gene french

Tagline
the two screws that held the actual mechanism were missing....as in not there....the mechanism was held in place by the aluminum plate witht he vu markings on it....i removed the aluminum plate....as both were bent....then i put a drop of oil on the front pivot...turned it around and put a drop on the back pivot....one meter has a bad front spring...the other has a bad rear spring....both move very freely....as with your breath....they just will not return to zero....because the return springs are damaged....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
the two screws that held the actual mechanism were missing....as in not there....the mechanism was held in place by the aluminum plate witht he vu markings on it....i removed the aluminum plate....as both were bent....then i put a drop of oil on the front pivot...turned it around and put a drop on the back pivot....one meter has a bad front spring...the other has a bad rear spring....both move very freely....as with your breath....they just will not return to zero....because the return springs are damaged....
Yep, they are now junk.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So, when you remove the face of the meter, you are now INSIDE it. On the back of the meter, they are sealed so I don't know what you were "Lubing" from the back. Ya can't get there from here.