phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Did you cut the original plastic off the front and glue glass in place?
no...the covers are still intact...at this point i wanted a way back if i failed...
i cut glass 4mm thick by 11.7cm x 6.5 cm...put dots of silicone on rails...removed covers from meters...cut 3mm aluminium to 5mm x 6.5 cm...laid beside the brackets on the glass...placed meter on the 3mm aluminum strips...bolted it down...put a 1 mm shim on each side...to prevent it from shifting...if you look at the plastic holder/case the meter sits on a very small lip...i duplicated that...with the aluminum strips ...it is very sturdy...does not wiggle around...
put tape over the crack on top between the glass and meter...so the light dont show through the vents...the leds are super bright once the tint is gone...i had to choke them way down...will send a night pic...you can actually see the meters move...
i love the sensitivity selectionsbyou built in the led upgrade...first class...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
no...the covers are still intact...at this point i wanted a way back if i failed...
i cut glass 4mm thick by 11.7cm x 6.5 cm...put dots of silicone on rails...removed covers from meters...cut 3mm aluminium to 5mm x 6.5 cm...laid beside the brackets on the glass...placed meter on the 3mm aluminum strips...bolted it down...put a 1 mm shim on each side...to prevent it from shifting...if you look at the plastic holder/case the meter sits on a very small lip...i duplicated that...with the aluminum strips ...it is very sturdy...does not wiggle around...
put tape over the crack on top between the glass and meter...so the light dont show through the vents...the leds are super bright once the tint is gone...i had to choke them way down...will send a night pic...you can actually see the meters move...
i love the sensitivity selectionsbyou built in the led upgrade...first class...
Thanks Gene, that's how I roll...

George S.

Gene, I have to ask why your running two preamps? I understand the two speaker systems, and the four amps. I can see running two preamps while experimenting on getting the system setup. But eventually, won't you have better results with one preamp, and tweaks in the DSP software to integrate and fine tune the system?

gene french

Tagline
Gene, I have to ask why your running two preamps? I understand the two speaker systems, and the four amps. I can see running two preamps while experimenting on getting the system setup. But eventually, won't you have better results with one preamp, and tweaks in the DSP software to integrate and fine tune the system?
before i multiamped...i used 3 different preamps as i had 3 pl400s...then you planted a seed about multiamps...i had one on the 3 amps driving my 3 ways and another on the wopl driving the voigts.. when i got a working dsp and learned how to program it...i discovered as you already knew...much more consistant and reliable using one preamp and not two....however, i have an opamp preamp (schiit heresy) and a normal preamp (schiit magni)...
as i have read ... they have different sounds...so i have 6 profiles in the dsp...3 using the heresy and 3 using the magni...so i can experiment more to get the most out of my system...i am only using one at a time...as you have a dsp...a reconfigure only requires a mouse click...easy peasy...
i am enjoying very much...

George S.

before i multiamped...i used 3 different preamps as i had 3 pl400s...then you planted a seed about multiamps...i had one on the 3 amps driving my 3 ways and another on the wopl driving the voigts.. when i got a working dsp and learned how to program it...i discovered as you already knew...much more consistant and reliable using one preamp and not two....however, i have an opamp preamp (schiit heresy) and a normal preamp (schiit magni)...
as i have read ... they have different sounds...so i have 6 profiles in the dsp...3 using the heresy and 3 using the magni...so i can experiment more to get the most out of my system...i am only using one at a time...as you have a dsp...a reconfigure only requires a mouse click...easy peasy...
i am enjoying very much...
Ahhh, interesting. I thought they were both the same model. Is there really that much difference between them? Is the difference pronounced or subtle? Which do you like better?

gene french

Tagline
Ahhh, interesting. I thought they were both the same model. Is there really that much difference between them? Is the difference pronounced or subtle? Which do you like better?
there is a difference...it is noticable ....the heresy is softer...the magni is more dynamic...but i only got it working a day or so ago ..will experiment more...
i think for jazz...instrumentals...the heresy will sound better...for rock...the magni probably more robust...i like having two ...
sometimes i hate you and mohawk ..i know i am gonna buy that 600 dollar dsp...lololol...after he told me about it....
and you ..get an original minidsp you said. .
lololol
i know i will not be satisfied until i do...
lololol
you both have beautiful systems!!!
thanks for sharing....

George S.

Yeah, my little MiniDsp 2x4 is probably 10 years old. Never had a single issue with it. Even lost the software once and they kindly resent it to me. Fantastic products. Maybe someday I'll get a new bigger one.
Enjoy your system Gene, it's fantastic and over the top cool. Later!

gene french

Tagline
Yeah, my little MiniDsp 2x4 is probably 10 years old. Never had a single issue with it. Even lost the software once and they kindly resent it to me. Fantastic products. Maybe someday I'll get a new bigger one.
Enjoy your system Gene, it's fantastic and over the top cool. Later!
thanks to the nice experts and friends here at phoenix....who did not let me build a crappy amp!!!
thanks!!!