phase linear 400

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
Today it's back up to 22 degrees C or about
70 F...

We are about 40 minutes south of Hamilton Ontario... Close to the north shore of Lake Erie

Maybe an hour from Buffalo NY

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
well, my luck held out only so long....i am waiting for a replacement dsp..which was released from customs as of yesterday....i have been listening to the wopl through the voigts....thought i would experiment a bit this morning while jerry was occupied with the cows...
i turned on the 200....which was working perfectly fine last time i shut it down......it lite up the left leds in the meters ... all 5 of them...and the relay did not engage....
i dont know much about these...oh well, i dont know much about any of them....anyway....
the dbt was slightly lit up and normally returned to dimmed out...
at one point both meters lit up totally...but only once...really did not have a lot of time
ideas??
starting point??

Marvin2.jpg

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
tina turner...live in amsterdam...

these speakers are super efficient...
109db at 9 oclock setting on the 3 ways and voigts...in combination they are room filling...they probably need toning down...i amglad i did the dsp thing...i did remove the dome tweeters and put in a set of no name bullet horns...they are about 2db more sensitive than the titanium domes...i really like mr hawks setup...mr mohawk that is...contacted my furniture guy...do i want a 700??? to put in my cabinet?? or stick with 400s??

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
my late 70s early 80s stereo ...
top left doors have a 3 way bass reflex 15" woofer set of speakers...door below that has our nintendo and atari game systems along with the cd (not.modern ones)...the album sized video discs ..
the hinged door above the equalizer houses a bic turntable on drawer guides....this picture was taken a few months back...seems the guy that bought my home in 95 was downsizing and selling...my son pretended to be a stranger and got a tour...i built that equipment in in 1981...its still there today...lol
i even had a one holer in the hall bathroom...
lol...

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
the new dsp arrived yesterday...it has similar issues as the first...but i am sure it is my fault ..not gonna return the first one...not their fault...i have so much bluetooth and wifi stuff...something is stepping on something...i noticed the music paused on the tv when i connected to dsp...i did get in...after a reset and experimented all afternoon...the voigts are very efficient and very loud....very strong mids...i am supposed to tune that with padding behind the driver..but with the dsp...it is totally tunable...i dropped the mids about 6db...left the bass alone..
added 3db to extreme highs...
what an incredible difference...i thought the bass was coming from the big woofers...it was not..
it was the voigts...i want to thank george for the multiamp suggestion...that is the way to go...along with the dsp ..by the weekend..i am sure i will pretty much have it tweaked...the designer of the 8 in drivers advised...every room is different...every speaker box is different...each amp is different...that running the amps flat is not going to give consistent results...an parametric eq can really fine tune a system...when a portion of the sound is enviornmental...i know now why mohawk setup his system as he did...and i am glad i did similarily ...
i am getting there...just slower than most...lol

gene french

Tagline
got the leds changed out from clear to warm white...
got rid if the dark...really dark cover...changed to clear glass...i have turned the leds way down on the led board on my original 4 fin...
before...leds full bright...
after...leds reduced brightness...
two more to do...

Attachments