phase linear 400

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
thanks....
your work is very neat and organized....many years in the business....and it is evident!!!!

i will study these when i get my chassis and start assembly....
love the shot of the chassis....

please share more as a guide for me!!!!
PS.
the frog was a nice touch!!!
lol

i did write to box correos because your package is still in customs....
all the others are progressing....
maybe there is an audiophile that works there????
lol

take care....
Neatness and cleanliness counts a lot Gene. Take your time and organize well and it will be an effortless bring up.

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Love the way tree frogs can climb right up glass, or any surface for that matter. We are entertained by a few that come to our kitchen window to eat the moths that are attracted to the light. Fun to see them catch and eat their snacks.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Also note Joe has the "P" clamps inverted on this build. Pin out matters. Can't remember what bias transistors came with mine, but clamps are mounted normal.
Nice tree frog. Trimmed my day lillie's from over hanging the sidewalk 2 weeks ago and found a Grey tree frog. Took him out back and put him in a Buckeye grove.
Have a ceramic tree frog house in a Crabapple out back under the patio nightlight, but been two years since we've had a resident. Had a big Grey there for several years.

mlucitt

The Phase Linear bias transistors were originally 2N3403. Joe determined that a more modern transistor would work as well or better, so we started using 2N5088, which had a slightly different pinout than the 2N3403 and Joe made the appropriate circuit traces on the WOA Backplane Kit boards.
Along comes the more improved bias transistor with a better temperature curve, the NTE192. The orientation of the transistor in the P-strap required it to be inverted to match the pinout on the Backplane Kit boards. Joe is always trying to make it better.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The PL400RevE Backplane boards have the closer set of holes labeled NTE192, the outer set of holes labeled 5088

The PL700RevD Backplane boards (not released yet) have the closer set of holes labeled NTE192, the outer set of holes labeled 5088

From time to time, I get inquiries to send folks Pstraps because they are missing from their amp and they need them for the backplane builds. Since they cannot harvest them from the donors that they are converting, I have kept a small stash of Pstraps for those occasions. My stash is down to near zero.

I looked for small signal transistors which come equipped with Pstraps and the only readily available sources are the NTE192 and NTE192a (not pin compatible with the NTE192). I settled on designing in the NTE192 as the most available.

Using the NTE192 requires a 3/8" long standoff v. the standard 1/4" standoff we have been using in order to enable the flipover.

I have a lifetime supply of 2N5088s that I have collected over time, buying up all the available ONSemi stock that I have been able to find. The intention is to continue using those as they are low noise transistors. The NTE will prove to be acceptable in that application and will serve as my future bail out for those random Pstrap requests.

Gene, make sure you follow the standard procedure and do not be distracted by my bad influence. :)

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
The PL400RevE Backplane boards have the closer set of holes labeled NTE192, the outer set of holes labeled 5088

The PL700RevD Backplane boards (not released yet) have the closer set of holes labeled NTE192, the outer set of holes labeled 5088

From time to time, I get inquiries to send folks Pstraps because they are missing from their amp and they need them for the backplane builds. Since they cannot harvest them from the donors that they are converting, I have kept a small stash of Pstraps for those occasions. My stash is down to near zero.

I looked for small signal transistors which come equipped with Pstraps and the only readily available sources are the NTE192 and NTE192a (not pin compatible with the NTE192). I settled on designing in the NTE192 as the most available.

Using the NTE192 requires a 3/8" long standoff v. the standard 1/4" standoff we have been using in order to enable the flipover.

I have a lifetime supply of 2N5088s that I have collected over time, buying up all the available ONSemi stock that I have been able to find. The intention is to continue using those as they are low noise transistors. The NTE will prove to be acceptable in that application and will serve as my future bail out for those random Pstrap requests.

Gene, make sure you follow the standard procedure and do not be distracted by my bad influence. :)
lol....
yeah....right....
i do so appreciate this info....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Steve
Yes available immediately. I will be adding to the price list at $7.50 in kit form plus shipping. Includes the 4 film capacitors (0.022uF/400V) that were designed in to fit the available PL400 space. I don't have documentation yet but the pictures pretty much tell the entire story.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I plan to do a follow on to fit the very limited space available in the PL700 cradle. Unfortunately each cradle type has its own space challenges.

This PL400 version will also likely fit in many non PL applications where there is usually a bit more room.

mlucitt

Hi Steve
Yes available immediately. I will be adding to the price list at $7.50 in kit form plus shipping. Includes the 4 film capacitors (0.022uF/400V) that were designed in to fit the available PL400 space. I don't have documentation yet but the pictures pretty much tell the entire story.
The price list is dated 2/6/2022, let's see if Joe catches that...