phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
after more experimenting....the 4 fin can be brought up to be as robust as the 8 fin....
it does however require more input from the preamp....
i am sure there are a lot of variables i am not considering....
but, with all being equal....and not compensating...the 8 fin on the surface saounds better than the 4 fin...
i cant wait to do all of this with the wopl, 4 fin, 8 fin, sx....
i got a 4 way av switch coming....
and a bunch of cables....
all of my cables are old....some show tarnish....
i need to get a set of good quality cables when it is all said and done...
suggestions??

George S.

Might want to see how the custom cable makers are making them for sale. I've seen hand made high zoot ones on the Bay. In the past Joe has said that Belden RG-316 is very good for interconnects. It's what I and others use on the WOPLs.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Might want to see how the custom cable makers are making them for sale. I've seen hand made high zoot ones on the Bay. In the past Joe has said that Belden RG-316 is very good for interconnects. It's what I and others use on the WOPLs.
It is all I use, pain in the ass to terminate but worth the effort.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
I have used the RG6 18awg ofc but I changed to BELDEN 1505A RG-59 20AWG and solder RCA connecters
the RG6 worked good but it was just to stiff and the bend radius was to large. I wanted something more flexible and after looking I decided to go w the Belden and it's cheap (a lot of surplus on E-bay) I also bought different colors.

The sound quality is worth it, I would never go back to RCA cables and the RCA small AWG center tend to break.
Thanks Gene DellaSala check out 4m 30 sec, but its a good video.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have used the RG6 18awg ofc but I changed to BELDEN 1505A RG-59 20AWG and solder RCA connecters
the RG6 worked good but it was just to stiff and the bend radius was to large. I wanted something more flexible and after looking I decided to go w the Belden and it's cheap (a lot of surplus on E-bay) I also bought different colors.

The sound quality is worth it, I would never go back to RCA cables and the RCA small AWG center tend to break.
Thanks Gene DellaSala check out 4m 30 sec, but its a good video.

I have an attic full of RG59. When the house was built, the cable wiring was all RG-59 because it preceded all the higher bandwidth signal needs. I rewired all to go to Belden 1694, pain in the ass (lots of holes in the wall to patch and paint). Then ended up going WiFi throughout at the end of all that. :)

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
i ran rg6 throughout my home when i built it...and ran it thru an distribution amp to each bedroom....
i also put in twisted pair for phone lines....
only thing is....as of today, i am still waiting for the utilities to bring phone lines out to where i live....
its on the agenda is the reply i get...of course i would not use it now...but, its fun to ask....
got rg58 and rg8 and mini8....for my ham rigs....out there somewhere....
i think i will do the research as george says and watch music mans video....
i think it would be better to find the right stuff and custom build every one of them...
that way, at least it will be neat behind the scenes without all that extra cable giving the vermin a nice place to thrive...lol
i did order wattsabundant gold plated input jacks....only the best for the best....
i just got an email and invoice from him....so maybe all will be shipped very very soon....
i am anxious....

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
i ran rg6 throughout my home when i built it...and ran it thru an distribution amp to each bedroom....
i also put in twisted pair for phone lines....
only thing is....as of today, i am still waiting for the utilities to bring phone lines out to where i live....
its on the agenda is the reply i get...of course i would not use it now...but, its fun to ask....
got rg58 and rg8 and mini8....for my ham rigs....out there somewhere....
i think i will do the research as george says and watch music mans video....
i think it would be better to find the right stuff and custom build every one of them...
that way, at least it will be neat behind the scenes without all that extra cable giving the vermin a nice place to thrive...lol
i did order wattsabundant gold plated input jacks....only the best for the best....
i just got an email and invoice from him....so maybe all will be shipped very very soon....
i am anxious....
Gene If you get in the weeds Like me . Some of the hand Radio cables were really good, I was also looking at them.
I think I would pick the ones that have copper in them first (not CCA (Copper-Clad Aluminum) ) , than 2- shield
Aluminum Foil and a Copper braid (or tined copper) is better and % of shield .
here is the Example and terms , BC=Bare Copper TC =Tinned Copper

Another Example - Product: 1505A 75 Ohm SDI Coax, RG-59, 20 AWG Solid BC, Foil + 95% TC Braid, PVC Jkt, CMR. The good news is you have shield Cable. ;)