Perry's amps

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes indeed.
Perry, when you soldered the tag wire to the shield how did the insulation fare below it? Was there some foil or was it Navo"s mil spec teflon shielded cable?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Yes indeed.
Perry, when you soldered the tag wire to the shield how did the insulation fare below it? Was there some foil or was it Navo"s mil spec teflon shielded cable?
It's Teflon shielded Lee. The Teflon is pretty tough shit but using the wire from Navo, you'll get no melt back or any other of the issues encountered when using CHEAP wire. It's good stuff and invaluable when building these amps. I've gone through many miles of that wire from Dennis. Matter of fact, I probably only have enough to do 2 more amps.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I'm not sorry I went that route. I have all of the WO parts & Navo wire here to do a 400. This way I can dick around with that for the next few years & still rock out big time with Perry's .
It sounds so good that I might even buy a symphony LP. THAT would be a culture shock for me!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
It sounds so good that I might even buy a symphony LP. THAT would be a culture shock for me!
Suggestion:
Camille Saint-Saëns symphony no. 3 (“Organ Symphony”)
Deutsche Grammophon 2532 045
Digitally mastered LP. Majestic, and a stellar recording.
https://www.discogs.com/Camille-Sai...on-Karajan-Symphony-No3-Organ/release/3487632

Gustav Holst “The Planets” op. 32
Deutsche Grammophon 2532 019
Another of my favorites (of this genre).
https://www.discogs.com/Gustav-Hols...rbert-von-Karajan-The-Planets/release/1052399

Consider it culture expansion, not culture shock...

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
One thing I see here is that the damned control board is in the way and I can’t see your wire routing behind it...

No matter...

One of the things that has been irking me is the AC wiring- from fuse tip to front panel switch to thermal cutoffs and then to transformer (from there, to AC fan outlet...). I felt obligated to follow the original PL wire routing along the bottom of the chassis- but this has the AC wiring too close to the backplane/control board connections for my liking. I see what you’ve done, and I realize I don’t have to pay homage to the original routing of those wires. Thanks for a better idea! From this, I can also see that I can have a shorter route from the sensitivity pots to the control board. Yeah, this is good stuff here!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
One thing I see here is that the damned control board is in the way and I can’t see your wire routing behind it...

No matter...

One of the things that has been irking me is the AC wiring- from fuse tip to front panel switch to thermal cutoffs and then to transformer (from there, to AC fan outlet...). I felt obligated to follow the original PL wire routing along the bottom of the chassis- but this has the AC wiring too close to the backplane/control board connections for my liking. I see what you’ve done, and I realize I don’t have to pay homage to the original routing of those wires. Thanks for a better idea! From this, I can also see that I can have a shorter route from the sensitivity pots to the control board. Yeah, this is good stuff here!

Don't worry about paying homage to any of the crap under the hood of the originals. They were hack..... The wires were stripped with a chainsaw, the boards were full of flux and the tried to make the wiring pretty and kept it all in a big kludge. Just keep the AC and DC/Signal away from each other as best as possible.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

No matter...

Mark, go to the "WOPL Building" threads. There are hundreds of Photo of wiring to follow. My builds start in about the 2015 time frame but there are other member builds before and after that.

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/paula-undergoes-an-addadicktome.6616/#lg=post-170788&slide=3

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/forums/wopl-building.68/