Oscilloscopes - Questions, Comments and WTF? (and NOLA too!)

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just had the opportunity to fire up my newly acquired Tektronix 2236
100 MHz analog, 2 channel, built in freq counter, built in DVM.

the thing looks to be never used, probes still sealed in bag, mint condition

working on a pro audio Samson 120a dead left channel, found the issue, front PCB cracked.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The downside of them is the trace is a joke compared to a decent analog scope. In that I mean the trace is so fat you miss high frequency oscillations riding on the waveform.
Yup... FAT traces... Never used a scope before, but I fiddled with it a bit. Connected the probes to my iPod and got some waveforms up, traces definitely are on the fat side.

My Pioneer turntable is flaking out, need the scope to calibrate it. There are some pulses I need to look at to adjust the tracking motor (hopefully just some dead caps...) since the arm sometimes stops traveling. Hope it’s not an unobtainable IC that died.

Going through the instruction manual to learn how to use it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You were a “Jet tech”???

I just retired from a career as an Avionics Engineer... grin

Jet Tech??? Nope.... Jet Tech's are grunts in the Organizational Level. We were Intermediate Level Techs which go to component level. The "Jet Techs" pulled black boxes and thought they were troubleshooting.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Jet Tech??? Nope.... Jet Tech's are grunts in the Organizational Level. We were Intermediate Level Techs which go to component level. The "Jet Techs" pulled black boxes and thought they were troubleshooting.
Backshop level - Very cool. Which platform(s)?

I worked as SMS Engineer for 30 years (primarily on F-16, but I also did bit parts on a few other platforms). Hopefully the J.T.s brought you the right B.B.s most of the time, and were able to figure out when it was caused by things on the aircraft wiring side.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Backshop level - Very cool. Which platform(s)?

I worked as SMS Engineer for 30 years (primarily on F-16, but I also did bit parts on a few other platforms). Hopefully the J.T.s brought you the right B.B.s most of the time, and were able to figure out when it was caused by things on the aircraft wiring side.
The systems we supported was primarily the S-3 Viking but I was on other platforms such as the C-130 and UH-1's

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
did you have to show a lot of cleavage to get those bead?????
I'm originally from the New Orleans area, and my wife lived in Gretna for a time. Believe it or not, I got the best beads for my gray hair... We were back home for Mardi Gras a few years ago. A lady on one of the floats actually motioned for me to come up to her. When she got there she commented on how nice it looked - then dumped a bunch of beads on me. WhatYaGonnaDo???

Wife gave me a condescending smirk, of course. Kids were thrilled with the beads.

27750278_2050441264973630_6488722897434902292_n.jpg

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm originally from the New Orleans area, and my wife lived in Gretna for a time. Believe it or not, I got the best beads for my gray hair... We were back home for Mardi Gras a few years ago. A lady on one of the floats actually motioned for me to come up to her. When she got there she commented on how nice it looked - then dumped a bunch of beads on me. WhatYaGonnaDo???

Wife gave me a condescending smirk, of course. Kids were thrilled with the beads.

View attachment 43118

beads aint my bag but you look Fabulous

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Very Cool. I did some stuff to support the C-130 too.
Yep, Perry and I worked on the cards coming out of the boxes for the S-3A and B Vikings. Two shops back from the box pullers in the squadrons. First shop did the boxes to the cards, then sent them our way to the component. Towards the end of my stay at North Island we got invaded by a shop running another type of automated test bench that also did the main nav units, and it all went to hell from there LOL.

Nah, not really.. anywhoo.. did a year on the P-3's going coast to coast by way of Diego Garcia. Was assigned supporting the Tacan systems, but ended up doing the HF amps because I wasn't scared of them LOL. Eventually expanded into supporting the A6's, F-14's and F/A-18's before the "One Automated Test Station To Rule Them All" (CASS) took all of our individual benches just about away. Hated that thing.. the guys coming out of boot camp and school never got a chance to actually learn and instead were a gang of trained monkeys, following what the screen told them to do.

Good to see another avionics guy!

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Yeah, we had IAS Test stations, but eventually most stuff went to two-level, and the depot grabbed everything, and would only reach out to us when they were stumped. It was difficult for me to watch what happened there.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I repair the HP compressor blades for the P&W F100-229... They still fly that engine (even the -220 is still flying!) We don't do the -220 but received a quote for coating restoration on the -220 variant. -229 blades are nearly double the size per stage.

I also do the F-119 outer duct upgrade (ceramic coating to contain engine fire, if it happens, which it never has).