Old vs New Receiver Shootout

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Quick.. back on topic for a sec (hey I'm slow ok?)

Gotta again put in me plug for me Nak AV1. But I wonder.. obviously not "old school" like the Pioneer SX... BUT.. not really new school like them umpteen channeled with a wee bit of power things. I think the AV1 was errr.. I dunno... 1999 or something like that? It aint silver yeah, but it aint plastic either... and it weighs 33 lbs.

Lee.. I'm gonna ship you that Nak just for grins when the PL comes my way... Ya may just be surprised.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Elite-ist said:
I appreciate all your comments, as I'm sure every one of us has our own favourite vintage receiver. Although, I had nothing to do with the inclusion, or even the suggestion to Gordon, that a Pioneer SX receiver be used for the Shootout, I'm certainly happy it was part of the test.

Stuwee, that's a good looking signature for the Hot Wheels Club. It's flattering to see a Buick wagon featured each time you post there.

Nando.
Sorry for ripping Pioneer, I just had to have some fun with Lee and Robert in your stead...you understand right? And yeah, I love that siggie banner, I wish he'd put the VistaCruiser in there instead of the Chevy II, but that's life...

He got the Buick right tho!!! WAGONS HO!!!!

stuwee

jbeckva said:
Quick.. back on topic for a sec (hey I'm slow ok?)

Gotta again put in me plug for me Nak AV1. But I wonder.. obviously not "old school" like the Pioneer SX... BUT.. not really new school like them umpteen channeled with a wee bit of power things. I think the AV1 was errr.. I dunno... 1999 or something like that? It aint silver yeah, but it aint plastic either... and it weighs 33 lbs.

Lee.. I'm gonna ship you that Nak just for grins when the PL comes my way... Ya may just be surprised.
Oooo, what a treat!! Lee you gonna love that sound of Mr. Pass!!! :thumbright: :thumbright:

stuwee

laatsch55 said:
I'm not sorry for ripping ML's!!!!!!!!!
No your not :mrgreen: , s'all good buddy! I can't wait for you to hear them proper, they aren't quite your style, but man will they work your last good nerve with the right tune...just like tonight, I fell in Love all over again...not many things I can say that about, the duel of Onix and Thorens was too much fun, the hairs on the back of my neck standing at attention...the (nevermind) wanted to kill a kitten :cheers:

Everyone who comes over, gets up and dances in the soundstage magic, all are welcome!!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
stuwee said:
Elite-ist said:
I appreciate all your comments, as I'm sure every one of us has our own favourite vintage receiver. Although, I had nothing to do with the inclusion, or even the suggestion to Gordon, that a Pioneer SX receiver be used for the Shootout, I'm certainly happy it was part of the test.

Stuwee, that's a good looking signature for the Hot Wheels Club. It's flattering to see a Buick wagon featured each time you post there.

Nando.
Sorry for ripping Pioneer, I just had to have some fun with Lee and Robert in your stead...you understand right? And yeah, I love that siggie banner, I wish he'd put the VistaCruiser in there instead of the Chevy II, but that's life...

He got the Buick right tho!!! WAGONS HO!!!!
Nah, I know the difference of when you are having some fun at our expense, stuwee. I thrive on a little ribbing and good-natured humour. It`s unfortunate when you lose sight of that. Keep the barbs coming, Barbarella!

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hey Stuwee.... Not a total Pioneer convert as of yet especially in receivers. At the moment Sansui is in the lead with a 9090DB, and a RQX7500 bashing it out. The Pioneer is bringing up the rear with the lonely SX850 trying very hard to over take the lead but is a bit shy in the power department and lacking in the cool meter and dial lights of the Sansui.

Sorry Nando, We'll try to get this back on track!

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Nah, I know the difference of when you are having some fun at our expense, stuwee. I thrive on a little ribbing and good-natured humour. It`s unfortunate when you lose sight of that. Keep the barbs coming, Barbarella!

Nando.
BARBARAELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love It!!!!

BTW, what did Pass have to do with NAK???

Elite-ist

Staff member
I can go toe-to-toe with the best of them, Lee. (In stuwee's case it, would be dress shoe-to-spiked heel.) In the big picture, the article was pointing out the fact vintage receivers can hold their own, and indeed surpass today's receivers for sound quality. There are two more articles, written by Brent, dealing with a more general nature of vintage gear, altogether.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well, if the vintage gear is anything like the people of that era, it is FAR superior.

Elite-ist

Staff member
laatsch55 said:
Well, if the vintage gear is anything like the people of that era, it is FAR superior.
Yes, Lee, but try proving that to prospective employers when you are out job hunting at our age. I went through that, recently.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well, in the oil industry , IF, you make it to this age, you're either real lucky or real good so they have a tendency to keep you around.

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
laatsch55 said:
Fairchild said:
laatsch55 said:
Echowars knows his shit, my Specs would be a smoking ruin if he hadn't have stepped in and held my hand through the fixing of them. So there!
Another vote for Glenn (Echowars) he does know his shit.

I am not a receiver guy either, I like the sound of my Marartz's, Pioneers are mellow and smooth, and my G-8000 rocks the house, and my SAE rocks the pole barn (200 wpc into some cheesey Jensens with horns :mrgreen: ), but I still love my seperates.
:bootyshake:

I would still like to see about some improvements on the Hafler though, it ain't bad but I feel it can be improved upon.

Jim
Didn't Dave say it could??
I believe so.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Jim Rockford Fosgate bought Hafler. They went to Pro equipment is why I am asking. They aren't the same. I only remember DH-500s from Hafler.

Larry