Old vs New Receiver Shootout

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Brent Butterworth is a contributing technical editor of Sound + Vision and former editor-in-chief of Home Theater magazine. He has written a few articles being readied for print, but you'll get a chance to view them here, before the general public will. I am looking forward to picking up a copy of the magazine containing this article Brent wrote on an old vs new receiver comparison. This is one of a few recent articles Brent wrote after spending some time at Innovative Audio in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.

http://www.iavscanada.com/Articles/art_ ... ootout.htm

Enjoy the article!

Nando.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP

It's Rigged I tell ya! Pioneer crap again?? :mrgreen: Sheesh Father, naughty, naughty, trying to sway the flock with blind testing.... :roll: Put a Marantz 2230 and a nice TT/cart for a source and me thinks the tables would have turned :twisted:

Thou shalt have no other God's before me...does that ring any bells? But I prattle on again. It's nice to see IA get some national attention, it really is a cool place, and you're lucky to have something that nice in Canada :mrgreen: , and in your backyard to boot :cherry:

I'm joshin', it's great to hear a dinosaur get kudo's over a piece of BPC, even if it is a Pioneer :bootyshake:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
HEY NOWWWWWW!!!!!!! "even if it is a PIONEER???????? Shame on you young man, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your shorthairs!!!!!

stuwee

laatsch55 said:
HEY NOWWWWWW!!!!!!! "even if it is a PIONEER???????? Shame on you young man, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your shorthairs!!!!!
:la: :thefinger: :la: Hehe, I'm just stirrin' the pot on this fine Friday morning :mrgreen: , next up, Flame Linear :violent3: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marantz Rulez!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Even EW at AK complimented the "NO more Flame Linear" feature of Jerry's White Oak 1000.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Echowars knows his shit, my Specs would be a smoking ruin if he hadn't have stepped in and held my hand through the fixing of them. So there!

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
My brother had one of those Sony receivers..... That was until his wife threw it in the trash a couple years back as something they no longer needed. Now that will bring tears to your eyes if anything would..... I am just so glad that my Pioneer TT survived to live again!

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
rtp_burnsville said:
My brother had one of those Sony receivers..... That was until his wife threw it in the trash a couple years back as something they no longer needed. Now that will bring tears to your eyes if anything would..... I am just so glad that my Pioneer TT survived to live again!

Robert

So are the rest of us.....well it's a PIONEER, so everyone but Stu.

stuwee

laatsch55 said:
rtp_burnsville said:

Robert

So are the rest of us.....well it's a PIONEER, so everyone but Stu.
Pious
Inept
Oderous
Never works right
Even
EchoWars can't stand them
Rubber band driven crap!!!

:mrgreen: :bootyshake: :mrgreen:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
M aliscious
A rrogant
R eprehensible
T yrannical
I tinerant
N o account

L ascivious
O verated
G enocidial
A poplectic
N o good for nothin'!!!!!

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
laatsch55 said:
Echowars knows his shit, my Specs would be a smoking ruin if he hadn't have stepped in and held my hand through the fixing of them. So there!
Another vote for Glenn (Echowars) he does know his shit.

I am not a receiver guy either, I like the sound of my Marartz's, Pioneers are mellow and smooth, and my G-8000 rocks the house, and my SAE rocks the pole barn (200 wpc into some cheesey Jensens with horns :mrgreen: ), but I still love my seperates.
:bootyshake:

I would still like to see about some improvements on the Hafler though, it ain't bad but I feel it can be improved upon.

Jim

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Fairchild said:
laatsch55 said:
Another vote for Glenn (Echowars) he does know his shit.

I am not a receiver guy either, I like the sound of my Marartz's, Pioneers are mellow and smooth, and my G-8000 rocks the house, and my SAE rocks the pole barn (200 wpc into some cheesey Jensens with horns :mrgreen: ), but I still love my seperates.
:bootyshake:

I would still like to see about some improvements on the Hafler though, it ain't bad but I feel it can be improved upon.

Jim
Didn't Dave say it could??

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I appreciate all your comments, as I'm sure every one of us has our own favourite vintage receiver. Although, I had nothing to do with the inclusion, or even the suggestion to Gordon, that a Pioneer SX receiver be used for the Shootout, I'm certainly happy it was part of the test.

Stuwee, that's a good looking signature for the Hot Wheels Club. It's flattering to see a Buick wagon featured each time you post there.

Nando.