Old receiver - high DC offset - no manual/schematic - bias test point & voltage?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I can see only one wire going directly from the rectifier to that cap which is to it's pos. terminal.

T IMG_3552.jpg

The 20-ish gauge red one that the wood skewer is "pointing" to. There are only two diodes. Is this still referred to as bridge rectifier?

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
It lives

I got it working on AUX and TUNER but discovered it had a dead channel on PHONO. There were five electrolytic capacitors and two pairs of 2SC644's that I replaced and it seems one of capacitor's legs formed a bridge to another pad on the PC board. Solder maintained the bridge on one side but not the other. Easy fix once I knew what the problem was.

The receiver sounded OK on AUX and TUNER but PHONO sounded like crap so that's why I did wholesale replacement of the pre-amp - there was not really a lot on there. I am actually surprised that it sounds as good as it does. Am listening to it now through the $2 Boston Acoustics A70's I just re-foamed.

Supposedly made by what would later become Rotel but I think it's got an old Sansui or HK vibe to it. It's not as pretty as a Sony STR6045 I have but sounds like it has about the same amount of power - 18WPC.

If it is of 1968 vintage, it's the oldest SS piece I have.

IMG_3558.jpg IMG_3559.jpg IMG_3560.jpg IMG_3561.jpg IMG_3562.jpg IMG_3563.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Good work there, Gary. Some of the looks of your receiver reminds me of my Kenwood KA-2000 from circa 1973.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Cool looking receiver!

I have an old ass one I would like to see work again, how many of you have seen this Sansui TR-707A before? It's their first solid state receiver. Just makes weird noise in one channel and the other is silent

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Cool looking receiver!

I have an old ass one I would like to see work again, how many of you have seen this Sansui TR-707A before? It's their first solid state receiver. Just makes weird noise in one channel and the other is silent

Capacitor coupled output to the loudspeakers...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Is that good or bad Joe? I had a Pioneer SX-626 that was cap coupled though I have no clue what that means

Also, what are the 3 little transformers for?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
IIRC THUMP CONTROL

Keeps the nasty pops from yer speaks.