No more 60 Hz hum in a PL2000 preamp.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Neither Aragon nor Acurus ever installed a toroid as standard equipment, and the upgrade path has been larger standard transformers, with more capacitance.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Neither Aragon nor Acurus ever installed a toroid as standard equipment, and the upgrade path has been larger standard transformers, with more capacitance.
I found the picture that shows the original (smaller) transformer and upgraded (larger) transformer ourside of the mounting site.
I stand corrected as it is a Triad (brand?) NOT a toroid type.
Interior1.jpg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So nice and tidy in these things...

The upgrade path is those yellow Mexican caps and the jacks. Pinney & Giles pot, if you can find one, is the final frontier, but a stepped attenuator would fit with no issues it appears, and that should be as good if not better than the P&G.

You could also put the transformer and bridge external, in a second enclosure far from the other bits (although they do a good job of separating church and state in there), and send DC only into the main box.

George S.

Got lowest noise with a X cap between Line and Neutral. A Y cap from Line to star ground screw raised noise slightly so removed it. Green wire added from IEC ground lug to star ground screw made no difference in noise, so left it installed.
Getting the paint out from under the transformer retaining bolt lowered noise. Trimmed the original shield away from the transformer bolt where it was touching and lowered noise some.
Burn't out working on it for now. Going to put it back in system, listen to some music.
Getting good time in using the QA400. Some of the tests aren't automated, more to learn, more reading.

Attachments

Last edited:

George S.

Getting ready to test WIMA MKS 0.1 uF bypass caps on the BrownDogs.
These have OPA2134 opamps installed. Data sheet specifies decoupling caps from plus and minus voltage pins to ground. Unfortunately PL included no nearby ground plane, and these are isolated from ground, so I'll try this. Doubt it'll make a difference, but will give it a try.

Attachments

George S.

The MLCC bypassed units have a issue. May have a bad opamp. Might be awhile until I get back to it due to other issues requiring attention.
Sitting here listening to a album with the WIMA units installed. Excellent. Was worthwhile.
Now to order parts to fix the wife's Buick 1.4 Turbo. Seeping coolant at the connections to the turbo. Impossible to get to without pulling the exhaust manifold and turbo as a unit. Next weekends job. Time to order parts.
Ronnie Montrose, produced by Edgar Winter.

Attachments

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Gene, rebuilt my 240 VAC water heater yesterday. Tripped the breaker. Blown element. Two elements and two thermostats replaced and it's good as new(fingers crossed). It's always something! :)
you are kidding....
i am rebuilding mine!!!
saw water on floor...it seeped down inside the walls could not see it...by passed it...i have 2 others but very seldom used...i have solar hot water .just finished opening it up...i see no leaks ..i think a fitting was leaking inside the shell . i see a resty spot in top...will pressurize tomorrow...it is full of water...but not leaking...glad i didnt toss ..it is an on demand tank with maybe 2 gallon tank...dual heating elements...240v .. will check the corrosion rod tomorrow!!!
yes...dad always said ...dont matter where you sit in the house....you can always see something that needs fixin...lol

George S.

I've listened to 6 or more albums this evening while figuring out my car parts order. I really like the bypass caps on the BrownDogs.
Using the Acurus for comparative testing has been worthwhile.
Looking to improve the QA400 setup. Have ordered some 50 ohm BNC terminators to put on the QA400 outputs. Going to try generating the 1 kHz sine wave with the DDS signal generator and directly drive the preamps. The QA400 internal signal generator is producing harmonics at settings above -40 dB, and I think this is a issue. Going to find out first hand as there is little information available about this.
QuantAsylum has posted they may have new units next month. Looking forward to it happening.

Attachments

BlueCrab

Journeyman
George, does (or can) the QA400 account for the harmonics of the generated sine wave such that it can take it out for the UUT (unit under test). I know nothing about the QA400, so this is kind of a general question. Back in my old testing days, we'd first account for the harmonics of the source, then test the UUT, and finally subtract the effects of the source. More modern systems can automatically account for this.

George S.

Jim, issue is the QA400 is itself producing harmonics with it's built in sine wave generator. It's good up until approximately -40 dB. At higher output I start to see harmonics.
If this is proper or not, I don't know, and I see no way to "subtract" them from the results.
Understand, I'm a hobbyist and have had no formal training, just reading what I can and trying to learn "hands on".
Thought I'd sub the DDS unit and see if results are same or different.
The QA400 unit I have is the first model QuantAsylum made and may well have issues they improved on later models.
Going to do further reading this week and try to learn more. Just seems wrong to drive a DUT with harmonics of 1 kHz. But then music is composed of harmonics, they're essential. I just don't know and need to learn more.
Guess the question is, should the 1 kHz test frequency driving the DUT be pure and free of harmonics?
I see no harmonics at low FFT resolution, but they are there at high FFT resolution. Perhaps I'm testing at too high a resolution.

George S.

Going to download the manuals for later models, perhaps the answer is there. The QA400 manual is rather sparse as it was evidently quickly superceded by the QA401.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Ideally you'd like your source signal to be as free of harmonics & noise as possible. That's what the HP8903B does, i.e., it's output signal has very low noise and THD so that when measuring a DUT the readings are attributed to the DUT. That just makes everything easier. But you could measure your source and determine it's harmonics. When you apply that signal source to the DUT, you could calculate (knowing its gain) how much of the harmonics at the output was due to the harmonics in the input signal. This is complicated to do by hand, but a computer could do it easily.

But have a pure signal source is the best of all possibilities.