New Technics SL-1210 MKII

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Looks like I'm going to be building a new SL-1210 table.... Started gathering parts.... I scored 2 of these but going to sell one. They aint cheap either. Anybody got a 1200/1210 that needs a facelift??? She's brand new in the box, just opened for inspection... FLAWLESS and perty.....

IMG_4636.jpg

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Since you're building it from the ground up, why not put a different tonearm altogether? SME makes some fine arms as do other manufacturers. You get into some serious money, but some of the tonearms out there leave little to be desired. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Technics arm. I never had one so I don't know, but I do know there's a lot better.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Poping the Plinth

Well Vinyl Heads, parts are showing up onesey-twosey..... Sat down and set up a table to build the table. Added the first 2 parts to the NOS Plinth. I installed the Pitch Ornament and the dust felt for the pitch control. I have a box showing up from Japan stuffed full of NOS goodies for the SL-1210 build. Here is a shot or two of the project. I can't wait to get some progress on it. I also have the Monster Mono Amp build in work. I need some of Joes electronics but I'll order them NEXT WEEK.

IMG_4641.jpg IMG_4643.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I picked up 2 parts units since the hardware (screws, bolts, widgets) and the weight/base are hard to come by. I'll use some and lose some. One table, as you'll notice, does NOT have a ToneArm which is the one I'll use for my personal table. I'm putting a Rega Arm on it just like the one I have on my Acrylic RP6/8 clone.

Yep, they are fugly but I have new motors and all kinds of stuff for them coming so they will be good to go when I finish the 1210's...... SHIT, if I don't sell one, I'm setting up a dance club and I'm getting DJ Nana to play weekends.....

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
This looks like it will be a great build thread to follow. The step-by-step progress is something I appreciate seeing. Lee has done a few of those. My eldest son has a couple of SL-1200 MK IIs.

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This looks like it will be a great build thread to follow. The step-by-step progress is something I appreciate seeing. Lee has done a few of those. My eldest son has a couple of SL-1200 MK IIs.

Nando.
They can be great tables with some attention.

Dang Nando, I'm retired so build threads I can do....

Too bad I'll have more into the one I'm selling although, a new in the box 1200/1210 can go upwards of $2000-$2500

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Gotta love these yo-yo's who duct tape the fucked up RCA cables (or anything else)... The guy said the one was missing one channel.... I wonder why????

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I read the prices went through the roof when Technics decided to end production of the 1200 series turntables eight years ago. Look at how much the new Technics turntables retail for now. $2500 might be small potatoes compared to the new ones.

Nando.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Do you use a special stylus when hand spinning the record back & forth at your hip hop party's?
When I tried to hear number nine, number nine,Paul is dead, It did not seem like my stylus worked very well in reverse.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Do you use a special stylus when hand spinning the record back & forth at your hip hop party's?
When I tried to hear number nine, number nine,Paul is dead, It did not seem like my stylus worked very well in reverse.
ya gotta use a finish nail duct taped to the cantilever......... At the correct angle of course....

HUH???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I always hated when they used built in RCA cables so I may put a set of the Cardas jacks on the back and run an internal ground and also make provisions for an external ground which you can switch if there is Hum... Just a thought.

IMG_4646.jpg

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That's because it really says knock it off, you're stoned...needles aren't cheap...

orange

Tagline
Your anti-skating was messed up or you didn't have the tracking force set high enough.

orange

Tagline
I use only boneless turntables.