New Technics SL-1210 MKII

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Starting to put one of them back together.... OOOOPS, I should have got rid of the fingerprints...

I got new buttons and strobe assembly for it.

IMG_4660.jpg IMG_4661.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Keeping track of your hours into the build? Nice to see it coming together.

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just need to rebuild the tonearm, new wires etc...... She is looking good. Recapped, new power cord, new pitch resistor new knobs, buttons, etc....

The platter has some discoloration but $500 for a new one is out of the question. I could probably use some Mothers Alum Polish.... We'll see.

IMG_4669.jpg IMG_4670.jpg IMG_4671.jpg IMG_4672.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I probably have a 1200mk2 platter or two kicking around

Perry, do you redo/replace the tonearm bearings also? I need my tonearm redone on my 1200mk2. New tube also

Elite-ist

Staff member
Everyone might be thinking the same thing - I can buy a whole turntable for the price of that platter.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have an SL-1300 and 1350 but both are here to be used...I'd be using the Sony PS-4300 Ron sold me but after the clamp on the arm rest broke and I had it apart to work on one of my kin moved my stuff helping me clean and 1/2 of the two piece bottom just disappeared. That was good money and a great phonograph too, I'm still looking for that part.

EDIT: The bottom, not the arm rest, I can find that.

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Everyone might be thinking the same thing - I can buy a whole turntable for the price of that platter.

Nando.
I did at first. Then I thought about audiophiles spending more than that on a single capacitor in a crossover network.
To each his own & have fun while doing it! It's only money as they say.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

Nando.
It might look and perform like ass......

I have found blasted and powder coated (like the original) for about $200. If you are building an as close to perfect turntable then who cares about money. I used to spend more money restoring my cars than they were EVER gonna be worth.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I probably have a 1200mk2 platter or two kicking around

Perry, do you redo/replace the tonearm bearings also? I need my tonearm redone on my 1200mk2. New tube also
I find NOS tonearms for less than $150....... they are all wired, and all new... Just bought one for $100

Elite-ist

Staff member
Cars can love you back... turntables, not so much. Ever slept with/in a car, before?

But, I like how you've approached this build. My son would also get a kick out of your project, too. He is a Technics 1200 loyalist.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
I spent two days sleeping in my car that didn't even run when I was out of a place. And the reason I'm a 'bicycle boy' is because $3.00/gallon gas in 2006 or '07 only drove home the fact that while I owned the car outright the costs of fueling, repairing and insuring it were basically the cause of all my debts. Not a good feeling, it was Pontiac FTW with 3.1 EFI and a paradise for the lead footed. Selling that car I got from my mom was something I didn't want to do and she didn't understand at first.

Last Christmastime someone pulled in front of her and totaled her Buick. She got a really nice Toyota Avalon but has to make payments now. She couldn't afford to come over often before but now she can't afford it at all since it hit $3.00 again.

If I COULD afford it there is a 1938 Plymouth around here for $1900 with mag wheels and it could be the coolest hybrid with suicide doors EVER. Even better than the '55 Savoy business coupe I saw.

orange

Tagline
And I have an NOS Pioneer cassette Supertuner from the early 80s and speakers for that.

VINTAGE ROLLER PROJECT 1938 Plymouth Deluxe suicide 4dr. sedan
12 bolt rear end
mustang 2 subframe, steering box and column/wheel
decent sheet metal, no engine or transmission
comes with big box of parts: headlite buckets, stanchions, window/door cranks, misc.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just finishing up the 1210 this evening. I'll post some pics later. It needs a stylus but complete otherwise. No hinged dust cover Installed, I'm not a fan of them, but I do have one. Just needs a good buffing.