new sleeves for clean records

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
Trying to clean up my records. Not something I know much about but working on. I see it recommended that the old sleeve be discarded and replace with a new plastic sleeve. Looking for brands and sources.

Ric

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Sleeve City has what you need. Might find better pricing on ebay but I've found the people at Sleeve City easy to deal with and accomodating.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I never toss the original inner sleeves unless they are torn. For very valuable records, I use VPI or Mofi sleeves but keep the originals in the jackets. You especially don't want to toss lyric sleeves, they are part of the package

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I do the same as Ron - keeping the original record sleeves within the jacket and using a new one to protect the record. I, also, like to protect the record jacket with its own sleeve, too.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I do the same as Ron - keeping the original record sleeves within the jacket and using a new one to protect the record. I, also, like to protect the record jacket with its own sleeve, too.

Nando.
Im with you guys. I only keep original printed sleeves though. Paper sleeves(other than new clean white ones) go into a box and I give them to my local shop owner for resale. He doesnt stock new sleeves. I purchase my heavier anti static inner sleeves from a shop in Oshawa. I purchase my outer sleeves in bulk here in town, for a discounted rate. I recently bought 500 as I am in the midst of using outer sleeves on all vinyl in attempt to help control dust on the record shelf.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
"Can't get no sleeves for my records, cant' get no laces for my shoes..."

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
" can't get no fancy notes on my new guitar,..can't get no antidote for youuuuuuuu"

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
Trying to clean up my records. Not something I know much about but working on. I see it recommended that the old sleeve be discarded and replace with a new plastic sleeve. Looking for brands and sources.

Ric
Didn't really mean discard the original sleeve

Nick Danger

Nando.
Agreed. Ya need to protect both the vinyl and jacket.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I, even, use plastic sleeves to protect my old magazines. You probably do the same for all your vintage comics, right Douglas?

Nando.

Nick Danger

I ordered 50 poly lined paper sleeves from Sleeve City. Cool store!
That's what I'm talking about! I use those for my collection and would recommend grabbing some quality outer sleeves as well the next time you order from them. You can get outer sleeves for less, but these are awefully good for the money. Cheaper ones yellow with age and airborne contaminants while the all mylar have a propensity to split at the seams.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

I, even, use plastic sleeves to protect my old magazines. You probably do the same for all your vintage comics, right Douglas?

Nando.
Nando, be it my hardcover book's dust jackets, comics, magazines, LP's......everything, everything has some sort of mylar/ plastic/ poly- something cover or a sleeve.

Last edited:

NavLinear

I have a general question about the storing of vinyl. Do you guys store the album outside of the album jacket? I purchased some vinyl from Ron and that is how he ships the records - it seems to be a great way to preserve the album sleeve.

Nick Danger

I have a general question about the storing of vinyl. Do you guys store the album outside of the album jacket? I purchased some vinyl from Ron and that is how he ships the records - it seems to be a great way to preserve the album sleeve.
Best way to ship vinyl as it eliminates jacket splits from the albums sliding around during shipping. Good job, Northwinds!

Nick Danger

I store the vinyl inside their jackets. Periodically it means leaving the original inner sleeves(if saved) in between the the jacket and plastic outer sleeve. My Beach Boys~ Smile Sessions is one off the top of my head that I keep the original inner sleeves in between the jacket and outer sleeve. 3 LP set with thick, glossy paper inner sleeves with all sort of fun stuff printed on them.

Nick Danger

I never pull the inner sleeves out of cardboard jackets. I put the inner sleeve in so the opening matches the opening of the jacket- slide the inner sleeve out about an inch or so and you can just roll yer record right on out with minimal rubbing and tugging....wait, that didn't sound right.