new sleeves for clean records

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Indeed. I ship all my vinyl the same way.
I've begun the process of putting my vinyl in the antistatic Diskeeper Audiophile Inner Record Sleeves from Sleeve City and the album covers in the Ultimate Outer 2.5 mil Record Sleeves. These seem to a popular choice and the pricing is reasonable.

Ok - here's my question:

Do you place the vinyl into the original record sleeve for storage or do you keep it outside of the sleeve?

NavLinear

I never pull the inner sleeves out of cardboard jackets. I put the inner sleeve in so the opening matches the opening of the jacket- slide the inner sleeve out about an inch or so and you can just roll yer record right on out with minimal rubbing and tugging....wait, that didn't sound right.
Thanks Doug. I was typing so my post came in well after you answered my question. Rubbing and tugging - you want to minimize that? :iconbiggrin:

I like the idea of letting the album roll out like that - good idea. What about the outer sleeve? Is that aligned for easy album removal or do you rotate it to keep the record in place?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I dont use that method for album storage. Too easy for an album to roll out on me if not paying enough attention. Especially after several bottles of Blue. Sleeves oriented so the insert is at the top, then slid into the jacket, then jacket inserted into an outer sleeve with its orientation at the top as well. To each their own though. Thats all personal preference for me.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I keep original printed sleeves in the jacket, after replacing it with anti static sleeve. I like Dougs idea of storing some of the thicker ones in the outer sleeve with the album jacket if necessary.

Nick Danger

I dont use that method for album storage. Too easy for an album to roll out on me if not paying enough attention. Especially after several bottles of Blue. Sleeves oriented so the insert is at the top, then slid into the jacket, then jacket inserted into an outer sleeve with its orientation at the top as well. To each their own though. Thats all personal preference for me.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I keep original printed sleeves in the jacket, after replacing it with anti static sleeve. I like Dougs idea of storing some of the thicker ones in the outer sleeve with the album jacket if necessary.
You do have to pay attention, Ben but I don't drink and drive my turntable(anymore). Fire up the open reel, CD's or laptop when imbibing.

Here is vinyl, stored in new inner sleeve and the original empty sleeve, both being stored inside of the jacket:

Here, I am storing the original inner sleeve outside of the jacket:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I'm an "opening-up" inner record sleeve guy, but I do orient the opening of the jacket's outer sleeve so I can pull the inner sleeve with the record straight out.

Nando.

Nick Danger

I'm an "opening-up" inner record sleeve guy, but I do orient the opening of the jacket's outer sleeve so I can pull the inner sleeve with the record straight out.

Nando.
I presently have everything "open- in- the- same- direction" but may be going with "outer sleeve up" as my LP storage has changed over the last year or so.

NavLinear

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I just pulled my small collection from storage and wanted to get up to speed with the vinyl spinning experts.

Elite-ist

Staff member
This thread may cause many of us to change our record storage habits.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
If you dont already have one of these, by any of the manufacturers that make these types of brushes. I suggest getting one asap as they are a must prior to spinning vinyl

Nick Danger

If you dont already have one of these, by any of the manufacturers that make these types of brushes. I suggest getting one asap as they are a must prior to spinning vinyl
If you ever get a wild hair Ben, I have been using a microfiber towel lightly misted with distilled water and a little 99% isopropyl. Kils the static and grabs all sorts of dust. I imagine just the distilled water would work equally well. Pretty dry and dusty at 6200 ft elevation- LP's need to be attended to religiously.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Every record gets the anti-static brush treatment before being played.

Nando.

NavLinear

Every record gets the anti-static brush treatment before being played.

Nando.
Is that the carbon fiber brush Nando? I've read that does a good job in eliminating the static build up.

I still have my Zerostat from the 70's. I should try it on my wife to see if it works. :clown:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, it's a Project "Brush it" anti-static record cleaner with conductive carbon fibers. The Zerostat is a classic. It works on anything around 70's vintage, including the wife. Has she been giving you static for spending too much time, here?

Nando.

NavLinear

Yes, it's a Project "Brush it" anti-static record cleaner with conductive carbon fibers. The Zerostat is a classic. It works on anything around 70's vintage, including the wife. Has she been giving you static for spending too much time, here?

Nando.
The Project Brush is cool. If the Zerostat doesn't pan out that would be a good alternative.

Do you think a couple of shots from the Zerostat will eliminate wife static?

Elite-ist

Staff member
Zerostat was the precursor to the taser gun. I would say wait until she's washed the kitchen floor and while she's standing on it give her a nudge behind her left ear with the Zerostat. Don't bother asking why I know that particular spot works.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
The zero stats are cool. I would love to come across one, some time. I'd still suggest using the carbon fiber brush along with the zero stat as it will pull dust and debris from the surface. I also use the Pro-ject version, but have seen many other brands including the Audio Quest version I linked.