New Member, New Project, Here's my 400!

Tagline
---
I attached a few pics to show where I am now. Obviously I'm doing a few other things the same time (caps, rectifier, and I need to replace the power cord since it's damaged).

Solid ground wire on rca input jack plate has been cut and will be cut more flush when I tidy the area up.

The white ground wire also soldered to that plate, that originally went to the board, will be cut out and removed.

Ground for the DCP board will come from the eyelet just to the left of the DCP board. You can see that wire comes directly from the copper bus bar so that should work properly (unless I'm missing something).

I will add the new ground wire going from the bus bar to the new WO board as you described.

Lastly, I assume that the rca grounds will then come directly through the new WO board, correct?

I believe that covers it all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

20160520_221304.jpg

20160520_221256.jpg

20160520_205745.jpg

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I attached a few pics to show where I am now. Obviously I'm doing a few other things the same time (caps, rectifier, and I need to replace the power cord since it's damaged).

Solid ground wire on rca input jack plate has been cut and will be cut more flush when I tidy the area up.

Good thing to do...

The white ground wire also soldered to that plate, that originally went to the board, will be cut out and removed.
Good...

Ground for the DCP board will come from the eyelet just to the left of the DCP board. You can see that wire comes directly from the copper bus bar so that should work properly (unless I'm missing something).
That will do until you put the WO backplanes in...

I will add the new ground wire going from the bus bar to the new WO board as you described.
This is necessary..

Lastly, I assume that the rca grounds will then come directly through the new WO board, correct?
Correct...

I believe that covers it all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Coolness...

View attachment 25338

View attachment 25339

View attachment 25340
A pretty clean little amp there Bud...

Tagline
---
A pretty clean little amp there Bud...

Thanks man. I realize nobody here really knows me yet, but I am pretty anal retentive about lead dress and that sort of thing. If this all goes well, I will probably build a full comp 700 or something similar. Wish I had some pics of the guitar amp I built from scratch a few years ago. Sold it to a friend and he loves it. But I was quite happy with how the guts turned out.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I could tell this wasn't your first time inside something electronic, ya do good work Dan. Plumb tickled to have you here...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A word to the wise, those leads on the bias tranny are VERY brittle, be careful manipulating those buggers....

Tagline
---
To be honest, I'm not sure which ones are the "bias trannys", but I didn't break anything so I guess I was gentle enough.

And thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to be here!

So here's my update. I pulled the power cord out and cut about a foot off (it was damaged). Threaded it back through as it originally was. Finished wiring the DCP board. New rectifier, new caps, new wires from caps to rectifier, and you can probably see the new ground wire that will attach to the board.

I have the few board parts coming from Joe (mentioned in the bulletin/mod). Once I get those, I will install them and finish the last few WO board items (jumpers and test points). Then wire that up!

Also need to install the new set of drivers. Which reminds me of a question. Hest sink grease?? On both sides of the sil pads, correct? Any particular type or brand you recommend?

And a few pics. :)

20160522_193642.jpg 20160522_193708.jpg 20160522_193746.jpg 20160522_193756.jpg 20160522_201444.jpg 20160522_201459.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
To be honest, I'm not sure which ones are the "bias trannys", but I didn't break anything so I guess I was gentle enough.

And thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to be here!

So here's my update. I pulled the power cord out and cut about a foot off (it was damaged). Threaded it back through as it originally was. Finished wiring the DCP board. New rectifier, new caps, new wires from caps to rectifier, and you can probably see the new ground wire that will attach to the board.

I have the few board parts coming from Joe (mentioned in the bulletin/mod). Once I get those, I will install them and finish the last few WO board items (jumpers and test points). Then wire that up!

Also need to install the new set of drivers. Which reminds me of a question. Hest sink grease?? On both sides of the sil pads, correct? Any particular type or brand you recommend?

And a few pics. :)

View attachment 25345 View attachment 25346 View attachment 25347 View attachment 25348 View attachment 25349 View attachment 25350
No heat sink grease on the Sil Pads Dan. They do not require it, they are silicone based which provides the heat transfer.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Looking good Dan, maybe I will let you play with the beautiful 400 I have that's already gutted but I saved all the parts

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The bias transistors , (q6), are located on the back wall with the aluminum p-strap. 3 wires going to the middle of the board...

Tagline
---
I'm getting closer!! Just 2 quick questions tonight.

1) the 5 little test points on the board. Should they get soldered into place or just held by tension?

2) what do you guys use to clean heat sink grease off? The old stuff is everywhere.

Thanks again.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker

1) the 5 little test points on the board. Should they get soldered into place or just held by tension?

2) what do you guys use to clean heat sink grease off? The old stuff is everywhere.

Thanks again.
Solder the test points or the measurements you make could be f'd up.

There are many ways to clean off the monkey cum - butt what I use is a Kim Wipe or cloth rag to get the bulk of the sticky stuff off without spreading it around and I use isopropyl alcohol on a wipe, rag or cotton swap to remove what's left. There are other solvents that can be used including vinegar so you have options. Got your PM at AK and I'll get with you soon - too fcuking busy the last several months.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Thanks again.
As Dennis says:

Solder them in.
91% or higher Isopropyl takes it right off.

Tagline
---
20160528_152920.jpg
20160528_172039.jpg
20160528_173817.jpg
20160528_175457.jpg

White goop finally all removed. Check.
New shiny outputs and sil pads installed. Check.
Final inspection for loose hardware. Check.
Dim bulb tester attached. Check.

Yay!! Powered up properly!! Bias now holding at a steady .369 to .371 on both channels. Gonna give it a few more minutes and then this baby is getting some input.

Gonna go select some vinyl to play now. :) :) :)

Last edited: