New Coffee - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Mills Fleet Farm for Camerons here in Sota. and If I see it on sale Gevalia
Gevalia is sooooooooooooo polite. I once scored a bunch of it on closeout at a grocery in Capitan, New Mexico. It was so bland/polite, that I spiked it with a more aggressive coffee.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Forced to go to the store today, but lo and behold.. my "five" is back in stock heheh.. The Sumatra is still good 'nuff for me tho, so it won't be thrown in the garbage. That folgers tho... :puke:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Forced to go to the store today, but lo and behold.. my "five" is back in stock heheh.. The Sumatra is still good 'nuff for me tho, so it won't be thrown in the garbage. That folgers tho... :puke:
Weren't you in the Navy Jer? I am sure you got a lot of bad coffee there.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Weren't you in the Navy Jer? I am sure you got a lot of bad coffee there.
Hoo man... you have no idea LOL. "Shop Coffee" was about the nastiest, but not much could be done about it. The pot was going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sometimes after it crisped up a little around the edges ya still said "screw it" and drank it anyway...

Although it was always funny when we told the "newby" to go find the Chief's cup and wash it (Chief started hiding his cup in his desk after a couple of those incidents.).

http://www.navyhistory.org/2013/11/dont-wash-that-coffee-mug/

Lazarus Short

Tagline
The worst I recall was at Shoney's - but one time at one Shoney's the coffee was quite good. The manager said it was all in keeping the prep equipment clean.

Rat44

Journeyman
Hoo man... you have no idea LOL. "Shop Coffee" was about the nastiest, but not much could be done about it. The pot was going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sometimes after it crisped up a little around the edges ya still said "screw it" and drank it anyway...

Although it was always funny when we told the "newby" to go find the Chief's cup and wash it (Chief started hiding his cup in his desk after a couple of those incidents.).

http://www.navyhistory.org/2013/11/dont-wash-that-coffee-mug/
In the Army it wasn't ready until the spoon would stand up in it.
Drank a lot of mud back then.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I recall a couple of lines from that Frank Zappa song, "In France":

"They got coffee - eat right through the cup
and when you go caca, they make you stand up!"

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Thanks for kicking around names of some good coffees.....I'll be keeping my eye out for them. My only preference is that the coffee has no more than two words describing (French roast etc..). No foo-foo coffee for me. If you have to write on the cup what it is I don't want it.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Green Mountain has a Breakfast Blend that I swear by. I'm also not much into foo-foo formulations. :laughing8:
Give me a some aroma, smooth taste and certainly the caffeine kick ... and I'm good.
I judge a cup of joe by how it stands on it's own - straight up and hot.

That said, I'll drink whatever - depending on who is serving - but my go-to coffee type is breakfast blends and so-called "donut store" blends.
I guess that makes me a simpleton.

Last edited:

jaetee

Journeyman
Ever since getting this coffee machine I've been spoiled with the quality of coffee in my life.

418GEXEKQDL._SS400_.jpg

The Krups Orchestro 889!

It has a freakin' service history like a car and has to go to the shop regularly, but damn if it doesn't make just about any coffee taste great! You push a button, it grinds and brews one cup at a time. I don't even use the steamer, but that is a great added bonus. All jokes aside, this machine is to coffee what the Nak Dragon is to prerecorded tapes. Seriously...

The Aldi coffee mentioned before is AWESOME, by the way... but my favorite these days is Jamacian Blue Mountain blend from Costco. Absolutely great! If you have a Costco membership and love coffee, do yourself a favor and buy a bag of beans. You won't regret it.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Bought a five pound bag of Costa Rican coffee beans the other day - could not resist the low price per oz. Brewed up the first batch this morning, with the usual additives, and it's quite tasty! At 15 grams per batch, it should last a long time.