New Coffee - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Barb and I went down to the west bottoms yesterday on First Friday, a day when some of the old brick buildings, now converted to antique malls, are open. Near a place called Stuffology, we found a pair of guys selling their locally-roasted coffee, Red-Headed Philosopher. The motto is "Coffee that makes you go hmmm..." We bought a cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee, and then a small bag of beans. This morning, I poured 25 grams of beans into the grinder, took the grinds back upstairs, and brewed them in the french press. Hmmm...VERY nice.

Stuffology has a bit of audio, several turntables, a matched PSE tuner, pre, and power amp, and some Wurlitzer organ amps, and two of them are matched. Tempting...

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Man, that reminds me... I can't find my daggone Seattle's Best "5" anywhere 'round here, just wussy "4" on the shelves.

Getting used to Starbucks "Sumatra" tho... not bad. My wife tho had bought a pack of Folgers, which after a cup got thrown out. I can NOT drink that stuff anymore.. too acidey/bitter now.

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Man, that reminds me... I can't find my daggone Seattle's Best "5" anywhere 'round here, just wussy "4" on the shelves.

Getting used to Starbucks "Sumatra" tho... not bad. My wife tho had bought a pack of Folgers, which after a cup got thrown out. I can NOT drink that stuff anymore.. too acidey/bitter now.
I think my Deli coffee supllier can get it tell me what you want

Lazarus Short

Tagline

I bought a bag of #5 at a salvage grocery near where I live, but thought it was too bitter. The place has gobs of 3, 4, and 5. Cheap too. Funny thing about Folgers - the north end of KC's downtown area always used to smell of coffee, as Folgers had a plant there. They pulled out, moved to Georgia, IIRC, and after a while, cottage-industry roasters began to pop up all over town. I wonder how many of them are ex-Folgers employees.

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Dennis, I didn't know you were such a coffee connoisseur man. The nest time you come down, I will have more to
offer than Folgers!:laughing7:

Is the PSE line tube or ss? How about the Wurlitzer amps? PSE did make some nice tube gear. And old Wurlitzer tube
amps are good singers with some big outputs. Some even used the big 8417's.
Mike, thanks for the coffee offer! The PSE stack is SS, nice cosmetics, but the price is $600 [ouch!], and the owner would be a fool to break up the set. The Wurlitzer amps I will have to ask about sooner or later. They're dirty, but do have tubes.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I tried a bag of Boston's Best and if that is the best they have, they should have a Boston Coffee Party and throw it in the harbor

Rat44

Journeyman
Another Sumatra connoisseur here.
My favorite Starbucks blend .
Komodo Dragon blend is another favorite of mine.
Discovered the French press when Starbucks first opened and been hooked ever since.

Dennis

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Any good recommendations for the Keurig cup makers? We have one of those now, been drinking the Green Mountain Dark Magic blend. Not bad...

Rat44

Journeyman
I was given one as a present for Christmas and use it daily.
The Original Donut Shop blend is my everyday mix.
Starbucks offers a few also.
Quite handy for people without a grinder.
I have the empty cup that I use for my own blends.
Dark Magic is good,I have used it a few times.

Dennis

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Any good recommendations for the Keurig cup makers? We have one of those now, been drinking the Green Mountain Dark Magic blend. Not bad...
Perhaps the best thing you can do is to get one of the re-useable Keurig cups, but they may not be made by Keurig. With one of those, you can try any​ coffee.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
My favorite for the past several years comes from Aldi's (Chain of German discount food stores in the midwest). They have a vacuum pack brick of German roasted for all of $5.00. It has converted many coffee drinkers from the more expensive stuff.

Robert

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My favorite for the past several years comes from Aldi's (Chain of German discount food stores in the midwest). They have a vacuum pack brick of German roasted for all of $5.00. It has converted many coffee drinkers from the more expensive stuff.

Robert
Aldi is nearby me, right next to the Tractor Supply and Walmart (like the trifecta). Will have to give that a try.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Aldi is nearby me, right next to the Tractor Supply and Walmart (like the trifecta). Will have to give that a try.

TRIFECTA???? You're killin me smalls!!!

They just opened up a tractor supply here....good stuff.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
TRIFECTA???? You're killin me smalls!!!

They just opened up a tractor supply here....good stuff.
Hey, bird seed, gun cleaning stuff, tools, ammo and coffee all in one small area. Does it get any better than that? (Well they could open a packy right there and it could even get better :))