Needing a new table

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
It's a Goldring Eroica High Output Moving Coil Cartridge but I don't know condition of it yet but the seller said it is perfect and he seems reliable the TT is supposed to get here Tuesday... on a MM I don't have a clue been so long since I bought a cartridge most the big names back then seem gone now and with so many out there it is almost maddening trying to figure what would be best for my table and the biggest bang for the buck

Could you tell me what MC cart it is again, might be interested...

What are you looking at for the MM replacement?

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
If you want a good MM cart, shoot me a message, I may trade. I have been using MC carts on and off for years. When my granddaughter destroyed my Soundsmith Carmen (Moving Iron) a few months ago, I went back to MC. I have a couple MM carts sitting in que

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
OK the TT is supposed to get here today let me check it out and see what I got.... Geri has backplanes sitting in chassis now!!!

If you want a good MM cart, shoot me a message, I may trade. I have been using MC carts on and off for years. When my granddaughter destroyed my Soundsmith Carmen (Moving Iron) a few months ago, I went back to MC. I have a couple MM carts sitting in que

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
New TT got here today and I got it all set up and tried it but 2 issues... I can't get much volume out of it would that be cause my pioneer sx939 does not like MC cartridges?? And I definitely have this audio feed back problem... what have I got to do to fix that???

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I'm pretty sure the SX-939 does not have MC capability. I don't have the manual at the office, can't confirm.

Possibility it does have the capability but you will need a plug in (look on the side of the amp - the SX-828 has one if you want to reference).

Does the 939 have two phono outs, possibility you are just missing the module.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Need a plug in" what's that? the 939 does have 2 phono inputs I tried both but it did not make a difference... what module?

I'm pretty sure the SX-939 does not have MC capability. I don't have the manual at the office, can't confirm.

Possibility it does have the capability but you will need a plug in (look on the side of the amp - the SX-828 has one if you want to reference).

Does the 939 have two phono outs, possibility you are just missing the module.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I owned a 939, it plays MM. I don't think so but if there is a tubelike socket on the back then an MC transformer would plug in there.

Otherwise you have to get an add-on transformer to boost the fairly weak MC cart output versus MM.

EDIT: Nope! You need a transformer to step it up.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Steve just confirmed what I just saw on the 939 manual. There is no mc transformer to plug in. You will have to run a MC pre before plugging into the 939.

The 828 actually has a socket to plug the MC transformer into, connecting it to one of the phono outs eliminating the need for a separate piece of gear.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
You need a step up transformer (SUT) to use that cart with the Pioneer Ray, it is not MC capable IIRC

I have a nice Shure M97eX MM and Grado F3+ MI available that are plug and play

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
lol of course you do!! anything you don't have???

You need a step up transformer (SUT) to use that cart with the Pioneer Ray, it is not MC capable IIRC

I have a nice Shure M97eX MM and Grado F3+ MI available that are plug and play

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Well, that'll work, it sounds a little spendy if you can find a good used one.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
So what are ways to get rid of this?? It's pretty nasty here

Yup- you're getting acoustic feedback.

Additionally: a lot of the old preamps from long ago didn't have subsonic filtering, even the rise and fall of a slightly warped record could be seen in the woofer cones. This adds to the problem.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
A few things can help.

Spike your speakers.

If effects only from the TT try a heavy mass base for the TT (granite/marble).

Cambridge Azur 651P pre has a subsonic filter AND also MC capable....might take take care of two problems at one time.

Move rig away from speakers a bit.

Hardwood floors w/crawl or basement?.....shore up the floor below your equipment....drastic but effective.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
The woofers start violently pulsating when I just lower the needle before a track even begins.. I could understand this feedback once music starts to play but no music???? I don't get that.. I am set up on a concrete floor I see your other reply with a link I'll go check that now thanks

A few things can help.

Spike your speakers.

If effects only from the TT try a heavy mass base for the TT (granite/marble).

Cambridge Azur 651P pre has a subsonic filter AND also MC capable....might take take care of two problems at one time.

Move rig away from speakers a bit.

Hardwood floors w/crawl or basement?.....shore up the floor below your equipment....drastic but effective.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I'm sure you've checked this but could you have a bad connection/wire somewhere between the stylus and the preamp/receiver? I'm not sure if I'm in the ball park with that but if you're getting that cone movement BEFORE the music starts . . . . Could the stylus be loose in the cartridge?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Finally getting around to start to tackle this problem it is not the TT or the cart.. I have 2 TT's each with different carts and they both do it one TT is a JVC direct drive with a pickering XV15 cart I was running it through a pioneer SX939 doe the preamp section into the PL400 with that combo when the needlw would land even on the edge of the record the woofers would shake before music even started...

Now I am running a Music Hall MMF7 with a gold ring MC cart through a Caver C-1 preamp into a WOPL400. I want to make my own TT with this new set up it is no where as bad I was able to play a reord at low volume and it was ok but turn it up much and the woofer would go ape shit then that feedback hum would come out... I went to a local lumber yard to see if I could get some type of sound deadening board to layer maybe with foam in between but they had noting at all. I had some 1/2" sheet rock pieces around so just to try it out I cut 2 pieces and put thin foam between the 2 pieces and I had some drum head gel strips here I put under each corner to separate the sheet rock from the shelf top...

I was able to crank the 400 so it was near red lining before I got the humming feed back but this was with the bass backed way off so it looks like I am going in the right direction but I have to find the right board to use.. as a last resort I will make some spikes for the speakers.

I'm sure you've checked this but could you have a bad connection/wire somewhere between the stylus and the preamp/receiver? I'm not sure if I'm in the ball park with that but if you're getting that cone movement BEFORE the music starts . . . . Could the stylus be loose in the cartridge?