Needing a new table

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Thinking on getting a new table my old direct drive JVC QL-A5 got a real bad rumble going through it where the woofers pulsate real bad took a look at it and their are no rubber mounts for the motor so not sure where it is coming from maybe cartridge craped out? It has a pickering XV 15 that I bought new back in the 70's in it ... so looking to buy used but don't want to spend over $250 maybe up to $300 for something exceptional. Been thinking of maybe Music Hall or Rega.. any thoughts or others I should take a look at that can be found in my price range? I want to get away from direct drive and go belt drive.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
1. Have you isolated the table?
2. Have you changed where you have it or speakers or amps?
3. What does it look like physically (pictures please)? I know what it looks like from search but a picture of YOUR table top and bottom and some other descriptions would help.

This is a 1980 model, which shouldn't be a detriment at all, it's possible that some of your environment has changed.

Keep a subwoofer away and the speakers as well...putting the speakers on stands may also help. Did you change receivers or amps recently?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Back in the 70's I had bought a Sanyo table and upgraded to the XV 15 for it.. to make a long story short there was a fight in my place and the table got screwed... I went out and bought the JVC table brand new and put the XV 15 cartridge in it it worked fine I had the rack and turn table set up on an entertainment type rack in the 90's I upgraded my amp and speakers it still worked fine then all of a sudden one day I went to spin some vinyl and noticed the woofers were pulsating real bad even a very low volumes. Nothing had changed from when everything was working good same amp speakers table sitting in same place. I was in an aprtment on wood floors back then now my main stereo is set up in the shop cement floor.. I'll get a few pics to post.

1. Have you isolated the table?
2. Have you changed where you have it or speakers or amps?
3. What does it look like physically (pictures please)? I know what it looks like from search but a picture of YOUR table top and bottom and some other descriptions would help.

This is a 1980 model, which shouldn't be a detriment at all, it's possible that some of your environment has changed.

Keep a subwoofer away and the speakers as well...putting the speakers on stands may also help. Did you change receivers or amps recently?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Like I said it started for no reason in the old location is still there today all I need to do is just drop the needle on the record and right away the woofer starts vibrating in and out violently almost looks like the cone is going to pop out any second and this even before any music starts to play....

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I can see a problem right away. The speaker next to the turntable, on top of the other. That and you ought to try a newer cartridge, just for the hell of it.

You are introducing a low frequency feedback loop, which you would call rumble and the speaker next to it is feeding it back.

Move the speakers away from the table and also consider a newer cartridge or even adjusting the tracking force.

If you are even using the PL in the system right now that is a serious factor as well.

But you are Wreckx-n-Effect to that poor table right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Those speakers you see stacked on top of my big speakers are my EPI 110's they are not even hooked to anything right now I was running them on my Sansui amp but when I got the PL400 amp I got my big speakers out of storage upstairs to connect the the 400 I just have not got the energy yet to haul the 110's up to put them away.. I thought of a new cartrige but looks like at least $50 for a decent one.. why I am thinking just getting another table would rather put the $50 into something else that works and has a good cartridge/stylus in it... I think it is the cartridge because like I said it was working fine then one day then for no reason it started doing this nothing was changed or moved it just started doing it

I can see a problem right away. The speaker next to the turntable, on top of the other. That and you ought to try a newer cartridge, just for the hell of it.

You are introducing a low frequency feedback loop, which you would call rumble and the speaker next to it is feeding it back.

Move the speakers away from the table and also consider a newer cartridge or even adjusting the tracking force.

If you are even using the PL in the system right now that is a serious factor as well.

But you are Wreckx-n-Effect to that poor table right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The speaker next to the turntable, on top of the other.
Yup- you're getting acoustic feedback.

Additionally: a lot of the old preamps from long ago didn't have subsonic filtering, even the rise and fall of a slightly warped record could be seen in the woofer cones. This adds to the problem.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Wow this is all good info I knew nothing about MC cartridges I bought a pickering XV15 40 years ago and just used it on all tables I have had since not sure I like not being able to change stylus though... so how is the Goldring erocia high output MC cartridge any good?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Maybe time to think about a stand alone preamp.... can they plug into the phono input jacks on my preamp? I have a full house and am out of input jacks now on the back of the sx939 I am using for a preamp

Yup- you're getting acoustic feedback.

Additionally: a lot of the old preamps from long ago didn't have subsonic filtering, even the rise and fall of a slightly warped record could be seen in the woofer cones. This adds to the problem.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ray, that would depend on the output of the phono pre and the max input on the phone Jacks of the SX..

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Like I said it started for no reason in the old location is still there today all I need to do is just drop the needle on the record and right away the woofer starts vibrating in and out violently almost looks like the cone is going to pop out any second and this even before any music starts to play....

I just parted that table out recently Ray, I have the motor and a zillion other parts for it including an extra platter

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
It's on it's way hope it fairs better than the last pl400 I got shipped to me

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I sent the seller a message about my concern on packing here is what he replied..... but white cotton gloves??? never had a TT I need to wear white gloves to handle lol

I have taken care to use the original packaging. Please be sure to remember to remove the two transport screws from the top plinth (two philips head screws). Also, remove the red plastic bearing protector from the tonearm pivot and the bread tie that locks the arm in place. Remove all of the masking tape holding the inner platter to the bearing. The outer acrylic platter is in a foam compartment below the plinth. The motor is in a protective plastic pipe, but I have taped the pully in place to prevent any shipping damage. The three cone shaped footers are in a plastic bag and they screw on to the studs at the bottom to allow leveling using the bubble level on top of the plinth. There is a bag with white cotton gloves to protect the plinth. The tonearm weight is in a separate compartment below the plinth. The motor base is also in a separate compartment below the plinth. The belt is in a separate bag taped to the inner platter. There is a plastic belt tool in the plastic bag along with the anti-skate weight, screw on record clamp, and allen keys for tonearm adjustments. I am pretty sure that all should be well when it arrives.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Would you like more parts to put it back together?? lol
No Sir! I had originally planned to make a RCM with the motor and platter built on an old wooden shipping crate, maybe a Yukon Jack one

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I sent the seller a message about my concern on packing here is what he replied..... but white cotton gloves??? never had a TT I need to wear white gloves to handle lol

I have taken care to use the original packaging. Please be sure to remember to remove the two transport screws from the top plinth (two philips head screws). Also, remove the red plastic bearing protector from the tonearm pivot and the bread tie that locks the arm in place. Remove all of the masking tape holding the inner platter to the bearing. The outer acrylic platter is in a foam compartment below the plinth. The motor is in a protective plastic pipe, but I have taped the pully in place to prevent any shipping damage. The three cone shaped footers are in a plastic bag and they screw on to the studs at the bottom to allow leveling using the bubble level on top of the plinth. There is a bag with white cotton gloves to protect the plinth. The tonearm weight is in a separate compartment below the plinth. The motor base is also in a separate compartment below the plinth. The belt is in a separate bag taped to the inner platter. There is a plastic belt tool in the plastic bag along with the anti-skate weight, screw on record clamp, and allen keys for tonearm adjustments. I am pretty sure that all should be well when it arrives.
I agree, great seller, you should be very pleased with your new 'baby'!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
should be the last table I will ever have to buy in this life I think I got a good deal on this table for what it is might sell the MC cart it comes with and put the money toward a brand new MM cart

I agree, great seller, you should be very pleased with your new 'baby'!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
should be the last table I will ever have to buy in this life I think I got a good deal on this table for what it is might sell the MC cart it comes with and put the money toward a brand new MM cart
Could you tell me what MC cart it is again, might be interested...

What are you looking at for the MM replacement?