My problem

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ron, I thought 2 ohm loads were a no-no too, but Stephen proved that wrong. The protection circuit built into the board should keep the amp safe, although I've never tripped it yet, even on max load tests. I have tripped the thermos witches a time or two...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
That's good to know Lee, I always figured the heat sink area was the Achilles tendon of the WOPL's (cooling). I have tripped the thermo switches myself. I don't think I have ever tripped the DC protection except when the fuse holders in Blackie were bad and I did the wiggle thing until Jer changed them to AGC types

Speaking of Blackie, the guy that bought her says she has had issues since he bought her, said he can't even touch the faceplate or she shuts down. I told him to join the board to figure out what the deal is, I am sure it's something very minor

"Problem is it's so touchy, I walk across the carpet and touch the faceplate and it trips the dc protect mode, gotta turn it off and back on, be careful not to touch anything else at the same time"

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So static electricity is tripping the DC protect??? Now that's a new one....

Yep, heats ink area has always been inadequate....

Northwinds

Tagline
So static electricity is tripping the DC protect??? Now that's a new one....
Joe? What would be a solution? I have tiles and hardwood floors so that shit never happened to me. I have not had a carpet in any house since the 80s

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe? What would be a solution? I have tiles and hardwood floors so that shit never happened to me. I have not had a carpet in any house since the 80s
I would start with checking to see there is nothing wrong with the DC protect board.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Linoleum???

I would think the WOPL would trip the breaker though when you try to use the stove and microwave, the refrigerator...

TOASTER...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Yeah it appears the Summits add a woofer amp to the bass box.
Actually two 200watt D-amps, one for each 10" woofer, the main amp just drives the panels. Which as Joe said crossover from 270hz to beyond what most of us can hear, I know my dog will prick up her ears with certain songs. My manual states 4 ohm nominal, .07 minimum @ 20Khz (not much musical content out there in 20khz, but my dog seems to think it's being reproduced).

I don't play Mach 8 very often, the big SAE is just fine for me for now...however, I do plan to have a home with a dedicated listening room someday and would like to get the most out of these Bad Boys.

I understand there isn't much difference between 200 and 400 watts, I'd like to hear that peak reproduced with some authority and slam!!

More stats, 24-23,000hz - 3db, Sensitivity 92db/2.83 volts/meter, power handling 100-300 watts (Ml forum users report no issues with a proper 500watt amp).

Northwinds

Tagline
3dB difference between 200w and 400w stuwee. It's the added headroom that is the real benefit and also the fact your amps won't run out of gas. Seriously, you should look into the Clair 700s. They were used to drive the Clair Flying S4 speaker systems at just about every concert that Clair Bros provided sound for back in the early 80s Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath etc...

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I'm sure it heresy to mention it in this forum, but how about an old Aragon 8008? I don't know about the internal voltage but they're current monsters. The BB models (75 lbs) are suppose to draw a full 15 amps out of your wall at full power. Not sure about the ST model. Only 200wpc but reputed to handle difficult loads. Latest price I've seen is between $1K and $1.4K.

Northwinds

Tagline
I remember when Aragon amps were made right here in CT. I see them a lot at the fleamarket and garage sales. A few years ago, I bought a 4004 for cheap, used it for awhile until a channel went. I dropped it off with some other gear I was not using at the local auction house and got $300 which was about 3 x what I paid for the gear LOL. I am sure someone had it fixed quick

A Clair (or a pair) would be a better choice IMO

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I think a high damping factor also goes a long way in handling difficult loads, and as we know a WOPL has a very high damping factor....

Northwinds

Tagline
Yep, Damping Factor of 1000 with the stock Phase Linear's. How would one go to increase damping factor in a build by chance/ I don't think a WOPL is higher then 1000 right?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Quick reply before hitting the sack...Lee and Jani coming soon, gotta get some sleep...

I've searched and read many threads, a WOPL 1000 is a PL 700 series II? 700B? Power moved up from 350wpc to 500wpc?

I like the Clair Bros look Perry!! The fact that they were used by Black Sabbath makes them very special indeed, after I talk with Lee later today, I'd love to chat with you very soon bud!