My New Preamp!!

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
That's some serious engineering Lee. Nice score. And to think that Rowland DG is still cranking out quality stuff even today.
That is gonna be a family heirloom dude... along with the wopl stack.

Reading up on that platform, it looks like the recommended BPS cell replacement is every 5 years.

And the whole concept of a BPS instead of investing in front-end AC conditioning is kind of cool.

I never knew you were so 'esoteric' Lee. :joker:

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That's some serious engineering Lee. Nice score. And to think that Rowland DG is still cranking out quality stuff even today.
That is gonna be a family heirloom dude... along with the wopl stack.

Reading up on that platform, it looks like the recommended BPS cell replacement is every 5 years.

And the whole concept of a BPS instead of investing in front-end AC conditioning is kind of cool.

I never knew you were so 'esoteric' Lee. :joker:

Well Tony, while visiting Stephen in Phoenix, when he.hit the "battery" button.on his Coherence it was a serious difference. Not that running on AC was bad, on battery it was sublime.
Now ya gotta understand, Stephen's turntable is the Thorens TD 126 mK III, with the killer Thorens arm, that 5,000.00 Miyabi cartridge going to a Walker Reference phono amp that was tuned to the cartridge by Lloyd himself over a period of two months at his house. Then through the Coherence and then to a pair of 9BST amps, to the k's with the 96 db/octave extreme slopecrossovers.
The source was MFSL, or MOFI Supertramp Crime of theCentury #12 of 500, and had only been played 4 times.
Totally over the top in all areas. But the dynamic range of that setup was phenomenal for a plastic record...a very discerning system, so differences could be heard. It's always a treat to sit in the sweet spot at Steve's house...
What will be interesting is to see how much better than the 250.00 Acurus it is. If I can tell at all. But you're right , it will be an heirloom, and it was relatively cheap compared to what they usually sell for, and there was only 350 of them made....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The reason it's not in the stack yet is the volume control is not really known without its external receover/read out. Got the remote but not the receiver. With 13 volts of gain , some bad things can happen. Contacted JRDG by email Friday. Waiting on an answer....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And all this is with XLR TO RCA adapters
The AP is #2 hot and the Coherence is #3 hot on XLR. Haven't got enough stuff to do those cables yet.