My new AKG K701 headphones

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Right out of the box, night and day difference from the K601's...Huge! Extremely comfortable to wear, the sound is just morethere! The air around the physical parts of the instruments, don't get me started the human vocal cords...:twisted:...this is just from the mighty Sanyo A35. Jerry, is the headphone amp tied to the MOSFET main amp? And buddy, still beyond in LOVE with the tri-green/amber/red output meters you did for me :love7:, anyhoo, I can hear it straining a bit on the top end...but...then, they are just here, they need about 300 hours to break in the massive magnets. I sooo impressed just as they are now.

I haven't gotten the dual WE-405A tube/hybrid headphone amp yet Little Dot 1+.jpg Little Dot 1+, that just might make me crap my pants :eek:
My first 'phones were the best of the best in 1979, the AKG K-340 Electrostatic/Dynamic's, unreal sound...these K701's just might be a bit better, they should for the $$'s and increase in knowledge of how sound should sound...

I agree with the following review of the K701's, they will show anything as recorded...(remember, mine are not even close to being 'broken-in' yet)!!

the review,

t's in the midrange that you'll realize why you fell for the K701s. As with most upper end AKGs, the midrange is magical. Vocals, either male or female, come across as three dimensional and realistic. Intruments, especially acoustic, are portraied with all the tonal and timbral accuracy you could desire. Piano is very well handles, the K701s giving both a sense of size as well as making it sound like the percussive instrument it is. Orchestral muisc is a delight through the K701s - they allow you to hear the full orchestra in a well balanced presentation, from deep bass to the richness of the cellos to the silky ssstring sound of the violins.

The treble is well extended, detailed and smooth. The K701s will let you hear out as far as you ears will allow while never sounding strident or peaky. There's plenty of space and an excellent deliniation between notes that makes it seem the music is emerging from a jet black background.

The only nit I can pick is that the K701s are not the most immediate sounding set of headphones available. They offer a slightly more distant presentation - more midhall than front row. Oh,and give them plenty of time to burn in - on the order of 300 or more hours before passing any judgement. If you don't, you'll probably dismiss the K701s - and you'll miss out by never knowing what you really had.

One other very important thing I'll add is that many, many people consider the K701s thin (I've even heard the term threadbare) and uninvolving. Let me clarify both points in one way. The K701s are the most accurate headphone available today. Others may sound better with certain types of music, but are not accutate - they color the sound, thereby appealing to biases of the listener. The K701s don't do that. They tell you in excruciating detail how good a job the engineer did recording the music (or how good or bad your source/amp are). No sugar coating, no added colorations, no tailoring of the sound to fit certain types of music. Like buying any good audio gear, one should be looking for the most accurate so that you're hearing only what was on the recording, not some prettied up version of it - unless inaccurate sound is what you want (in which case why are you reading any of this?).

To sum things up, the AKG K701s live up to their roll as AKGs new top-o-the-line headphones and also live up to AKGs heritige of producing some of the best headphones available. Highly recommended.

I can't wait till Lee and Jani hear them as I'll have them set up and all broken in, tubes, solid state, cables and footers... Hehehehe!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice headphones, stuwee. I have a few pairs of AKG headphones, older K-240 Studio Monitors and newer AKG K-240 MK IIs. I have heard the K-340s - my x-brother-in-law owns a pair - and they are excellent.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Nice headphones, stuwee. I have a few pairs of AKG headphones, older K-240 Studio Monitors and newer AKG K-240 MK IIs. I have heard the K-340s - my x-brother-in-law owns a pair - and they are excellent.

Nando.
AKG's are nice headphones. I had an original pair of K240's but loaned them to a "friend". When I asked for them back, the "friend" said I owed him money for combustibles and he was keeping the headphones. I had no recollection of the original transaction.

Those were the most comfortable headphones on earth. Afterwards, I got K340's but did not like them. Too big to fall asleep with while wearing. K240's were also durable. Nothing happens to them from hitting the floor after being yanked off your head when getting out of a chair while standing on the cord.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
If headphones aren't comfortable, I don't use them, regardless how good they sound. I checked out the AKG web site. I don't want to pay retail price on their best models, but they certainly spec out very nice. Maybe, I will save up a bit more coin for the K872 models.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Comfort is every bit as important as sound quality. If need be, I would forgo some of the latter for the former. That is why I went to AKG in the first place. These are what I had before them:

Koss Pro4aa__1.jpg Koss E.9.jpg

Try either and your temples should start getting annoyed within 20 to 30 minutes.

stuwee

They're just getting better and better :iconbiggrin:, worth every penny, I haven't heard a more accurate sound in decades. The Hill Plasmatronics speakers I heard in '78 will hold that record still (only in the mids and highs, the bass lacked).

braxus

Journeyman
Ive had a pair of their 702 headphones for some years now. Basically the same as the 701, but in black. Love mine. Use them everytime I record on tape. I also have a pair of 240 MkII cans which are for backup. Enjoy those 701s Stu!

stuwee

Update: I think they're broke in now. Freakin' amazing! Hard to explain, they really do what you play justice, I collect recordings that were done live in the studio, Love that one take intamacy, I also dig the slightly back from the front stage sound.

While I love the tube amp with them, they are so accurate, if the recording isn't up to scratch, you will hear it :director:, the tubes soften that crap out

The little Sanyo just brings something to the plate in SS! The Yamaha 600U pre can't even come close!

Buy a pair if you can :reindeer:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I'm sooo confused......I went and looked & the NEW K701's are priced from $160.00 to $450.00 ? That's a pretty wide range. Are their differences?

I really like the sound of my Grado's, but I HATE the yoke type cord & I can't keep them on my head. ( And I've been told it's quite large).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=AKG+K701&_sop=16

stuwee

I'm sooo confused......I went and looked & the NEW K701's are priced from $160.00 to $450.00 ? That's a pretty wide range. Are their differences?

I really like the sound of my Grado's, but I HATE the yoke type cord & I can't keep them on my head. ( And I've been told it's quite large).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=AKG+K701&_sop=16
Like anything great, the Chinese are ripping off counterfeits, beware! Ask the US sellers for pics of the bottom of the box UPC codes, contact AKG http://www.akg.com/ for info!! I paid around $225 for mine, worth much more for what you will hear :angel8:!!

They also like some juice to really sing, I'm not familiar with your Sony, you might need a dedicated amp for them, that brings up the cost much more! I'd eat ramin noodles and cheap mac n cheese to get the level of sound these bad boys give you!! Seriously! Hit the head-fi forums and others.

And give them time to settle, they are not kidding about 300 hours of use!! Have you ever turned on one of your vintage SS components and heard harsh things, then, just like magic, everything warmed up and it all jelled?? Your jaw dropped! Kinda like that! Very, very comfortable 'phones, barely feel them :reindeer:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I presume they are very good phones .
I have Koss ESP 9 ( perfect but confort it's an optional ) , AKG 240 studio monitor ( superb ) and
Sennheiser Hd 414 ( very good ) .
Ciao
Marco

stuwee

Brad, your Sony is a great piece! Similar to my old Marantz 2270 spec wise. Unfortunately, the headphone output is rarely talked about in specs. My old beloved SAE P102 preamp couldn't drive half the crappy earbuds out there now, SAE amps don't have jacks for 'phones. AKG's like a nice, tight amp with high damping factor, wide freq response and of course, low distortion :glasses9:

I've played with 'phone amps from $200 to $500 and they all have their story to tell!! I love the 'Little Dot 1+' I mentioned earlier for certain recordings, most if I had nothing else...tube glow and superb headphones :cheers::cheers:

Marco and some others mentioned the K240 studio's and others, get thee to the nunnery, or your nearest AKG dealer, these are amazing transducers!!

Miracle Mile

701? ...

I presume they are very good phones....
AKG 240 studio monitor ( superb.... )
But they are outstanding after a heavy modificition (physical and technical as well)..

Here are some of my latest creations based on the AKG K-240 mkII (made in Austria) model:

Another one, based on the older K-240 studio model:

Soundwise all three modificated headphones shown above will surpass the K-701 with ease..

:wink:

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Hey! I just won an Ebay auction on a barely used set for $132.00 last night. I've been checking every day since this thread started. I wanted new, but the 'Made In Austria models have dissapeard. I got a bit carried away while waiting & also got a pair of Grado RS2's. They just arrived today.
Not to quit there; I've ordered most parts to build a Pete Millet headphone tube amp. Name starts with a 'J'. That's all I remember.

White Oak order coming up next!

Then a 700b rebuild candidate. They have been slim. But I NEED the sexy black faceplate assm. Mr. WOPL has for sale. Checking under sofa cushions now.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
But they are outstanding after a heavy modificition (physical and technical as well)..

Here are some of my latest creations based on the AKG K-240 mkII (made in Austria) model:

Another one, based on the older K-240 studio model:

Soundwise all three modificated headphones shown above will surpass the K-701 with ease..

:wink:
Beautiful work Miles...