Mr_rye89’s WOPL 400 Build Containment Thread

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Ok thanks. I'll get to that after a while. Its exactly the same on both outputs, my bias voltages were good and nothing got hot or blew up. but thats probably enough DC to click the DCP circuit......

George S.

Hey Guys,
Looks right to me. That is how I have always done it on my 700's. See #15.
I may be mistaken with my interpretation of the documentation, but it has worked perfectly for 3 amplifiers, Fully WOPL'd.
At the point in the build that I bring up the backplane, I do not have the DC Protect board installed in the chassis, therefore there is nothing hooked to the speaker output studs/jacks.
TP3 is provided for that (on the 700 Backplanes). I see the TP next to the outputs on Kyles 400 backplane, can’t tell if it is TP3 or TP 4 on that board, but he has the resistor placed correctly. One of Joe’s innovations that makes testing and troubleshooting these boards so straightforward.

This is from the "Backplane Bring Up Documentation” From Joe:

14. Install ONLY the bottom most row of transistors, starting with the transformer side an MJ21196

in first column, then MJ21195 in second column, then MJ21196 in third column, then MJ21195

in fourth column.

15. Temporarily attach a 10K ohm resistor between each channel output and DC ground.

16. With the one wire from the DC ground bus bar to the chassis standoff tie point temporarily

removed, test for no shorts to the chassis. Test each transistor can for no shorts to the chassis

as well.

17. Bring up wired bare chassis with Variac and DBT......................
Ahhh, I see! I disconnected from the DCP and clipped directly to the wires. Cool. Would have been easier across the test points. Will remember that if I build another.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Ok I had less than 2v across each resistor on both sides, the voltages varied with turning the bias pots at 9 and PNP but not 6 (on both sides)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Derp. Voltage on pad 6, both sides. about .675 volts DC
Debug your control board. Pad 6 should be 0.

With the full comp configuration and the White Oak Backplanes, you don't need any output devices to initially test your work. You cannot drive anything with it but it will regulate to zero on the output terminal.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Pics of driver board:
A939C7BD-AD86-40F1-AEC6-21FCDB005385.jpeg 8EF546A2-C375-4603-90E8-25D5F12E86FE.jpeg
didn’t see anything backwards, gonna see if I put any semiconductors in the wrong spots….

George S.

Looking at the bottom, I see where some components weren't soldered, though I assume they were soldered on top.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Kyle it does not look like a ground wire has ever been soldered into pads 5L and 5R of the control board?????

The Pad 5 holes look VIRGINAL as they say...you won't get much proper operation without a ground wire in these locations.

Last edited:

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Meticulous soldering, double and triple checking component locations, voltages, shorts continuity and I forget to solder in the damn grounds for the driver board.......LOL

We have 2mv on pad 6 now.

Thanks for your patience Joe. And I hope everyone here had a good laugh, i sure did......

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Meticulous soldering, double and triple checking component locations, voltages, shorts continuity and I forget to solder in the damn grounds for the driver board.......LOL

Thanks for your patience Joe. And I hope everyone here had a good laugh, i sure did......
It will get lower once you eliminate the tacked in test components...

George S.

Don't sweat it, ones first WOPL is a learning experience like many other things in life.