Mike's PL400 rebuild (or, Mark's WOPL III!)

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Excellent video Mark, another PL saved and making music better than ever. Shaved head is the only way to travel cause it let's us go faster in our advanced age. Can tell you been busy by the yard, sorry about the family health problems hoping things get better soon.

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
Last video on the 400 project. DONE!
Mark, I have enjoyed a lot your PL400 resurrection youtube series. I'd personally, if I may, classify it as a romantic thriller movie. Romantic, because your passion to PL gears and sound draws in the viewers, regardless they had or not a clue what was it all about... Thriller, as visibly you were risking you life, got injured not only once, and in the end no one was sure to see your new clip ever again... Last, but not least, you gave all of us some sensual accents too, even spicy nudity moments, which will probably remain in our memories forever (only maybe next time it's worth clearly marking your broadcast channel with the PEGI +18 code)... :)

Seriously, I guess there are not that many crazy guys actually hearing much of emotions behind music played on these days.

Once again, congrats Mark! And chapeau bas!

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Mark, I have enjoyed a lot your PL400 resurrection youtube series....
Wow... Humbled & flattered!

For the record, I was wearing shorts. I wouldn’t expect a 61 year old near-geriatric with shoulder-to-shoulder fur would illicit such a response. A bit warm that night, took my shirt off, forgot to put it back on to record the video. I wonder what response I would have gotten if I left my teeth out?

Thanks again. I know that electronic kit work isn’t a greatly interesting subject to many people, so the gags are thrown in to keep my audience awake.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Grey hair isn't....
I don't have grey hair except my beard at 55 years old but my head hair its almost to my ass so I am sure if there was a way to see if hair could be conductive, I would find a way LMAO. I have a lot of chest fur though and even hair on my shoulders. I think there is bear in my family tree somewhere

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I don't have grey hair except my beard at 55 years old but my head hair its almost to my ass so I am sure if there was a way to see if hair could be conductive, I would find a way LMAO. I have a lot of chest fur though and even hair on my shoulders. I think there is bear in my family tree somewhere
LMOAO!!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mike's Model 1000 Autocorrelator.
I'm not confident on this one- who has a lead on a good tech?
-Thanks!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mike's Model 1000 Autocorrelator.
I'm not confident on this one- who has a lead on a good tech?
-Thanks!

Reheated the solder connections where the edge connectors attach to the circuit board. Helped a bit, but the switches seem to be an issue now. Will try a couple spritzes of DeOxit, see if that helps.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Reheated the solder connections where the edge connectors attach to the circuit board. Helped a bit, but the switches seem to be an issue now. Will try a couple spritzes of DeOxit, see if that helps.
Bingo.
She’s good...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Bingo.
She’s good...
Good work Mark, those motherboard/daughterboard designs that PL used were prone to connector joint cracking, the larger ones are even worse than this small unit for that. I am sure it helped with manufacturing but created reliability issues over time.