Mike's PL400 rebuild (or, Mark's WOPL III!)

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
On purpose Mark. Been to this rodeo before and it is more expeditious to put them in the kit than to deal with a request later on to send a replacement set.
Gepetto, you are on top of it and making it so much easier to keep these PLs going forever. Thank you for all the thinking ahead, the work and effort you put in!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Amen, Joe's the shit!!

Fred, when Joe came out with the back planes I bought 200 picos..

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The fat lady sings... and sings quite nicely!

Haven’t put her face on just yet, burning her in, and don’t wanna risk damage to the meters.

Nice! Smooth! Detailed bass, wonderfully clear vocals.

BUT- left channel had .1mv DC offset, right had absolutely zero! Is this from the G1 driver board? MARVELOUS!
38C6282C-0F4E-4D42-A647-F8447C17EE33.jpeg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The fat lady sings... and sings quite nicely!

Haven’t put her face on just yet, burning her in, and don’t wanna risk damage to the meters.

Nice! Smooth! Detailed bass, wonderfully clear vocals.

BUT- left channel had .1mv DC offset, right had absolutely zero! Is this from the G1 driver board? MARVELOUS!
View attachment 37170
Good stuff Mark, you made short work of that... Gets the official "that's purdy"

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You may have to rotate your cap hold down plate 180 degrees Mark to clear meters. Some are close and some have plenty of clearance. The plate is designed to accommodate either situation. Pictures attached to show you it did happen :) Like so... IMG_0882.JPG

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The OPA 2134 has been responsible for the low offset.

iT TOOK A L;OT OF TYRANSISTOR MATCHING OF THE DIFF INPUT PAIR TO GET IT BEL;OW 10 MV...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
When you have +/- 0.5mv typical specified offset and only 5 picoamps of bias current, you can achieve closed loop offsets such as this. That type of performance can be achieved with a MOSFET front end, very hard to achieve with a bipolar front end without adjusting it out (introducing another pot and another failure and noise injection point).

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The OPA 2134 has been responsible for the low offset.

iT TOOK A L;OT OF TYRANSISTOR MATCHING OF THE DIFF INPUT PAIR TO GET IT BEL;OW 10 MV...
When you have +/- 0.5mv typical specified offset and only 5 picoamps of bias current, you can achieve closed loop offsets such as this. That type of performance can be achieved with a MOSFET front end, very hard to achieve with a bipolar front end without adjusting it out (introducing another pot and another failure and noise injection point).
Just sayin’...

When I checked the offset I thought something was wrong. Surprise!

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
You may have to rotate your cap hold down plate 180 degrees Mark to clear meters. Some are close and some have plenty of clearance. The plate is designed to accommodate either situation. Pictures attached to show you it did happen :) Like so... View attachment 37171
Had to do this when I put them in my 400, all good after that. Great job there Mark it looks fantastic. Now get back to the 700, hoping to get started on mine soon.