Might not seem like much. TDK and Maxell tapes.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I do like the 1979 to early 80's TDK SA and SA-X cassettes. I have a number of this vintage - some of them are mix tapes which were recorded for me for use in my car back in the early 80's and a few I've received from members - notably, Miles (TDK SA-X). I, also, have a good compliment of SA tapes, I received from Jim.

I have to dig out my old tapes. They got a lot of play time in the car when I was dating. A particular one - Greg Kihn's "RocKihnRoll" was my then-to become-wife's favourite.

a51f4abb-f2a5-4483-aa2e-262a302b37bf_zpsxbfur3uq.jpg

Nando.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Interesting re-visit to that history page. I always smile when I see that 1990 entry. Thanks for the reminder.

Anyway, completely off-topic:

Whenever ANYONE starts talking about NOS blanks disappearing at some alarming rate - and somehow that justifies where prices are heading or where they have already reached - I always LMAO.

If this doesn't put it into proper perspective for the doomsayers - nothing will...

"The sales declined but they well still high for 10 or so years. The global sale of blank cassettes in 1996 was 2.098 billion pieces. In 1997 this decreased by 4.5% to 2.003 billion."

Think about those numbers in context for a bit, beyond just the two years cited.
Let it sink in.
We are talking Billions here... with a capital "B".

Now think about the earths population... and do the math. ;)

Blaze drops the mic !

<<<< exit stage left

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
exactly! there is still PLENTY of NOS out there...

what I think is that "some" of them disappearing during the latest few years are simply gone into the storage of private individuals (collectors, users, flippers) so, I believe the vast majority of them is still in "NOS" (sealed) shape.

and, after all, being them purchased by the aforementioned private individuals has the good effect that, meanwhile, they didn't go into some landfill.
for example, about 10 years ago, I've got almost all of my own stash of blanks from the few old HiFi shops here in my zone... and, these shops were going to close their doors forever... so, if I hadn't purchased all of their old stock of blanks, they would be into some landfill now, then lost for good... so, it's much better that they are here at home! :)