Micro (Seiki) BL-91 restoration

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Cool. I’m about to have stupid money into my Rega but it’s basically a ground-up Re-engineering.

I heard today that the VTA tightening disc is done and just the two plates for the constrained layer sub plinth to go. I have all the other parts ready to go.

And that BL-91 from the original owner is a fair price.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I posted elsewhere, but for completeness, I’m re-posting here.

23255959-4077-47DE-9573-31F0D674A538.jpeg

This has got to be the simplest arm to set up ever made. I snugged the cartridge in, lose enough to move, and did a five-minute two-point alignment. Set VTF at 2g. Not sure what “ideal” is.

Then I threw on the Hi-Fi news test record to check anti-skate. That seemed to be fine (but the record was at 45 rpm). Adjusted VTA in about 1.5 minutes. Tried Steven Stills 2 last track and she sounds good. Still a bit sibilant but very nice. Considering the stylus has about four minutes on it, it needs to wear in a bit. But damn. Checked AS at the correct RPM-still good. After all I went through on the Kenwood this thing just kicks it’s sorry ass.

Can the Rega keep up? Tune in next week…

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Jim, I'll test some interconnects with the DER EE this coming Monday and post the results. Never tried doing so before, it may be worthwhile. I never thought cables made a difference until Joe and Lee helped me upgrade my preamps. The difference in cables is now readily apparent. I'll test some Radio Shack, Walmart RCA, Monoprice Monolith, and homemade Switchcraft/mil-spec coax jumpers.
First have to put a water pump on the wife's Buick Encore 1.4 Turbo and a storm door on the neighbors house on Sunday. Will have time on Monday. There are good reviews and instructions on that meter and how to's on the Kelvin clips.
Most high quality cables will have a spec for pF per foot given.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think I’d only need the DIN to RCA cable coming off the arm. The arm cables are actually coax in the X arm. Probably worth measuring but a lot of hassle.

But I may take you up on it at some point.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Reflecting back on this project a year and a half later and I still love it. Still the V-15 III cartridge with the “black Diamond” stylus.

I have not even aligned the Rega re-engineering project yet!

And I managed to find another 202X headshell. Either the A-T or Benz will go on there I think.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
You could put that on my R-3 but the VTA adjust is designed for the threaded post and I think the RB3000 uses the three screw mounting.