Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Someone tell me about rack mounting this hog! I have a cheezy particleboard cabinet that will not support this weight, little plastic clips hold the shelves in place, I don’t want a gravity induced crash. The PL400 is pushing my luck!

Is it safe to mount by the rack ears or do I need shelves?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Will let others chime in Mark. I do not rack mount, shelf mount. Although it looks like it, the PL amps were really not designed for rack mount, but rather to look like they are rack mount. The stock aluminum chassis was too flimsy for mounting in a dynamic rack mount situation as Lee can tell you. The lot he fetched from the Hanley Audio (Aerosmith) score had chassis that were totally beat from rack mounting in a roadie environment.

They are certainly not designed for dynamic travel once installed in a rack.

Also the holes in the PL amps never properly conformed to NEMA hole spacing patterns which is why you see the ones that have been rack mounted have U slots milled into the left and right edges.

I recommend a stronger equipment shelf.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
as a side note, the Clair amps had chassis stiffeners to help the chassis handle the weight. They use the screw holes on the left and right bottom cover. I'll post a pic shortly. They also kept the chassis from getting beat up on the bottom. They will fit any of the 700 series II amps. Not sure about 700B's since the screws MAY be in different spots. I never used them since I put feet on the bottom and they won't work with feet which aid in cooling.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Did they work???? Well, Yes an No. The ears where the face plates mounted, some were still ripped. The transformers are too much for chassis mount IMHO

MarkWComer

Tagline
Two cement blocks & a board
Yeh... looks like...

From what I can measure, the 400, 700, and 4000 (preamp) are all generally 5U sized. But damn... that freakin’ transformer kills any possibility of mounting in a rack. I don’t like the looks of any “furniture” I’ve seen, which is why I wanted to go for the rack. Definitely NO GLASS SHELVES!

So, found what I like in the Amazonian rainforest, just buy shelves for the inside.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Recording-...niversal-Equipment-Locking-Casters/B000QDRTOG

https://www.amazon.com/Raxxess-Univ...BZ9YPGTSJF3&psc=1&refRID=J7PTEW2H3BZ9YPGTSJF3

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeh... looks like...

From what I can measure, the 400, 700, and 4000 (preamp) are all generally 5U sized. But damn... that freakin’ transformer kills any possibility of mounting in a rack. I don’t like the looks of any “furniture” I’ve seen, which is why I wanted to go for the rack. Definitely NO GLASS SHELVES!

So, found what I like in the Amazonian rainforest, just buy shelves for the inside.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Recording-...niversal-Equipment-Locking-Casters/B000QDRTOG

https://www.amazon.com/Raxxess-Univ...BZ9YPGTSJF3&psc=1&refRID=J7PTEW2H3BZ9YPGTSJF3
They are all nominally 4U Mark. 1U = 1.75"

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeh... looks like...

They have rack shelves that will hit all 4 rails Mark which is what you really want.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
mark, don't forget to change the belt on your amp. I am now offering them for $666 and they will keep your tweeters from squawking, and your squawkers from tweeting. These new belts are the cat's meow, the butter for you bread, and will take that hitch outta your giddy-up.... Guaranteed to put more lead in your pencil too....... Only 3 left at this price :)

Once your belt starts slippin, your amp will only play Bee Gee albums and an occasional Rick Ocasek cassette without skipping. (Batteries not included, call before midnight tonight, must be at least 18 years old and have a J_O_B.......)

Next week, the Singel Ended, XLR to RCA Transformer bolts go on sale..... Save your money kids.

MarkWComer

Tagline
mark, don't forget to change the belt on your amp.
All this maintenance is getting to be a massive chore...
You tell me this after installing 6” iron shielding to keep the magnetic field from my interdimensional field generator from sucking all the low frequencies from my woofers and an ultraviolet laser grid to kill the crickets that are attracted to my tweeters! I have to change a belt now? What’s wrong with the rubber band I’m already using?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Bought the 8U rack, delivered today from the Amazonian rainforest. Much shorter, and I like that. If not for truck insurance I would have gotten a pair. The 400 looks comfortable in it. 44DA896D-DD7C-42C1-83F7-FCD25D488B8A.jpeg

Last edited: