Made a deal on PL700 and PL4000

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Just made a deal on these beauties! Meeting the seller tomorrow to pick them up. I needed a "pick me up" after the debacle with my RT-707, and found these while looking for a replacement 707.
Shipping is a pain but mine just needs some brake work, the 909 doesn't even move.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks guys. I didn’t even have a chance to look at it today after recovering from last night, then spending time with the family. Flying home in the morning, pops is going to crate the amps real good and we’re going ro ship them ground this week.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Up early this morning to head to the airport. Had a few minutes to pull her top down and take a few nudies. Looks like the filter caps and a few on the board were replaced which is what the seller told me. No time to make any adjustments though. Pops is going to crate them up this week along with the Prisma and a pile of records for me. Just a PITA to take on the flight with me. I’ve got lots to do anyways, Lee sent me a DCP board for my 400, also a light board kit ans some other goodies, speakers to move and new builds also. Lots to do!

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
PL4000 died... never really seemed right, but she gave a bust of loud volume then distortion while playing a record just now...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So I pressed the 700 into service since Linda’s injury. All was good and I wasn’t gentle... now one channel has distortion at any listening level. Switched the power off and going to bed. Not complaining in the least, these are old amps... maybe I should ask the pimple face kid at Best Buy about a decent replacement? But I think you guys got two amps to coach me through now...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I’m having bad thoughts rn... I’m thinking of what to do while I fix PL gear, then suddenly realized I’m not using a 3kw QSC amp in the shop...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Slugged this 70lb beast in, wired it up. It’s only better than the PL 700 in the sense that it works rn. In this configuration it should be 1200wpc. I can’t tell that it’s any more than Linda or the 700.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
If time is on your side, pull out a soldering iron and touch up the 200 or so cracked solder joints on the 4000 motherboard. Then address the cracked solder joints on the phono jacks.
Did you check rail fuses on the 700?
I’ll check. I wasn’t driving things “stupid” but the meters were dancing a little. Possible I got a bum fuse.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Blew of the 4a AGC’s. I’ve got to order a box of proper fuses

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Mouser has them at a decent price. 300 at a time. I should have sent some.with the care package.
5 amp fast blows on the rails, 10 amp slot blows on the mains.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Good bet... I really taostes the 700 tonight. Rail fuses were 5a, the 10a line fuse smoked. Shut the power off and I’ll deal
With the carnage another day

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Yeah she was fairly warm... you could still put your hand on the heat sink. These speakers are the 4 ohm woofer section... she didn’t high temp trip though. I had let her cool down then put on “one last” bass intense song loud, but not “abuse” territory and she popped.

As far as the 700 goes and correct me if I’m wrong, but I figure I can check the outputs for shorts on the bench, remove the rail fuses and DBT? If that fails then disconnect the transformer, test and work through the power supply until I find the short? I bet it’s a nasty short as the fuses snapped hard.

I think I’m going to start into the 400 today, remove the bad channels outputs. Can’t be without any working PL gear for too long...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The power supply might be affected if the mains went and the rail fuses didn't. I would lean towards the bridge rectifier. I have never seen a bad transformer, although it has hapoened.