Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Well Keith, I hope a 700 is in your future, you certainly have the speaks for one now...
I'm not going to hold my breath on that lol.... Had a couple friends over a couple days ago and watched my first DVD's with the new subs... is great! Like I got my own theater here, I picked Worlds fastest Indian and Kill bill 1 to watch... rainy here today I have a couple pink floyd dvd's might load them up today, I want to get an Ozzy DVD and a Zeppelin one soon

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I am also knocking together some horns.

Just got the woofers back from Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic. New cones, coils and spiders. I bought them brand new in 1968 for some homebuild cabinets I made using a skillsaw which made for some unsquare boxes,. Especially the 1st one. My homebrew boxes spent 12 or 15 years in a friend's garden shed and did not weather that experience very well. That's why the woofer rebuild.

Tweets, mids and crossovers I bought used. Also from VASC. They were salvaged from some homemade speakers someone in the owner's family disassembled.

The cabinets to house the EV speaker components were part of a Sony stereo system bought on a local online auction. I bought the system speciifcally for the speakers because of the lavender grille cloth. My intention all along was to use those enclosures to house these Electro Voice drivers. The turntable got sold, cassette and receiver went to Value Village and Glen got the stereo cabinet. Said it was going to his cabin.

What was inside were some beefy Sansui 12" woofers that I gave to a local fellow (Montycat on AK), some generic plastic horn tweeters (not Piezo) that went in the trash because they were blown and some 4.5" Philips full range used for mid-ranges. I kept those for an as yet undetermined reason. Crossovers were off the shelf Armaco 3 ways that were also given along with the woofers.

Still to do is build the tuning ducts which I hope to do this weekend. A friend lives and hour away and he has a radial arm saw and a reasonable supply of wood scraps from his renos.

Objective is to have both cabinets done during the next week. I have no clue how they will sound. A bit bright perhaps?

IMG_4855.JPG IMG_4856.JPG IMG_4858.JPG

Last edited:

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
62vauxhall ..... I should think they will sound great!! I love the fact that you are noodeling around and cooking something yourself.
I know what you mean about cheep table saws where the post moves while you are cutting, it is all I have as well. What I did was I made sure the frames were perfect square, then when I cut the MDF I cut it a bit over sized. Then when I put the pieces to the frame I made sure 2 of the edges were perfect lined with the frame. Then I used a router to take the other 2 sides down to the frame. It seemed to work, everything came out square. Do you plan to seal the enclosures??

62vauxhall

Tagline
62vauxhall ..... I should think they will sound great!! I love the fact that you are noodeling around and cooking something yourself.
I know what you mean about cheep table saws where the post moves while you are cutting, it is all I have as well. What I did was I made sure the frames were perfect square, then when I cut the MDF I cut it a bit over sized. Then when I put the pieces to the frame I made sure 2 of the edges were perfect lined with the frame. Then I used a router to take the other 2 sides down to the frame. It seemed to work, everything came out square. Do you plan to seal the enclosures??
No, not sealed. They will be bass reflex.

The interior volume is not quite 3cf which is less than optimum for an LS12A woofer - actually a full range. But some years ago I downloaded EV factory instructions to enclose their drivers of that era. Following those guidlines, for an LS12A an internal volume such as I'm dealing with, dictate an opening of 50 sq in and a duct 6" long. The port size I'm going to cut is 4" X 12.5" = 50 sq in.

Since it makes little if any difference (or so I have read) if the port is on the front, rear, bottom or sides, mine will be on the rear. No room on the front bafles which are, incidentally, new ones I just cut from 5/8" MDF using that friend's radial arm saw.

For a number of years I had access to a very well equipped wood shop in someone's garage and it was a treat. But hubby passed away, wife sold the house and son appropriated the equipment.

Cheap table saw....? There is one here, where I moved to out in the sticks, and It cannot be real. It looks like a toy. The table of this "table saw" is plastic and small.

62vauxhall

Tagline
I finished the cabinet modifications yesterday. My plan A was to use the cabinet backs the boxes came with but being plywood, they suffered from my need to cut new openings. And I didn't like all the wood screws around the edges that held them in place. Who ever made the cabinets did pretty good work but affixing the back panel looked like someone else's did it and made a poor job of it.

I have both the new MDF front baffle and new MDF rear panel bolted in place by #10 machine screws and T nuts.

Earlier I mentioned having the woofers since 1968. This morning I read a review of an Electro Voice system called "Lancaster". Coincidentally, it was my thought to recreate that system which prompted me on this project. But learning that Eletro Voice offered the Wolverine series as long as they did was a surprise because that Lancaster review was from a 1958 issue of an audio magazine.

Tomorrow, might even hook them up and do a listen. And maybe put some legs on them.

IMG_4864.JPG IMG_4865.JPG IMG_4866.JPG IMG_4858.JPG

62vauxhall

Tagline
like the vintage look bet they will sound real good!!
Comparing them to the few other speakers I have, they sound the most unique.

Today I had a listening session of 50+ year old music through these 50+ year old drivers. The midrange L-pad was reduced to nearly as low as it will go. It's active but subdued. And the tweeter is maybe at 75% of full on. My program source was an open reel tape. LP & CD might require further adjustment

Bass is not bad, I was expecting it to be weaker as per what's been written about the LS12A 12" - a full range doing woofer duty. Could be that the EV directions I followed for configuring the bass reflex port and duct actually created a decent environment for them.

Listening over a period of time will be more definitive. At the moment, I am letting myself imagine that they possess a sound which some equipment buyers aspired to in the late 1950's and early 60's.

mlucitt

62vauxhall

Tagline
9" is good for a low pass frequency = 1,487.315 Hz
14" is good to get you below 1000Hz or frequency = 956.131 Hz

I'll experiment with distancing.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Great job getting the grille cloth straight. I used to do amp restorations when we were making guitars (I did the cabinet restorations and my partner did the electronics) and quite often a "previously restored" amp would come in and the grille cloth is all kinds of wrong. It's a bit fiddly to get it to sit nice and straight (as you know!) and often underrated.