Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Still got to get a driver to match this one for the other horn, one will come up eventually also got to build the crossovers, looks like it is going to run me $125 each for the parts but this is what I have decided to go with it is a modified model 19 crossover... hope they will tame the power from the 400 a bit
AZ19.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Looking good Ray,
So you decided to go with the M19 instead of the 1209 network ?
Yes actually they are Z19 crossovers an upgraded version of the original model 19 crossover designed by Zilch, everyone who has built them raves about them.... but that is probably using the 416 woofer so will have to see how they work with mine. Not sure how this will all match up. The altec horn driver is built for low power does not need high power to put out. My speakers including the woofer were built to go with the TFM55 amp I had back then and they love power, lots of power, the more power you put to them the happier they are..... but with my aging ears the bullet tweeters I have in them now just is not cutting it

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Yep very familiar with Zilch mods. This is the M-19 with the addition of the 604-8h Vhf attenuation "T" filter at lp2.
Altec used this in the pro-audio Model 19 for bi-amping like the 1209 network. I think I sent you the schematic you
show while back. Just have to wait and see how it will work with your woofer. Yes it is designed for the 416-8B woofer in a
minimum 7cu. ft. bass reflex cabinet. Check out the new 416's from GPA . $2700.00 each! wow!
You won't have any problem driving this network and your drivers with the 400 amp, but you may still be lacking the highs
your hoping for. The bullet tweeters should reach higher then the Altec driver but the phase, time, and coverage of
the big Altec horn will be a huge difference. The 811 horn was designed to project thru a perforated movie screen and reach
to the back of a 60ft theater . Keep it up, your on the right track.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Yep . Pretty crazy but they are one of the best ever made. A nice used one will bring 5 bills . And that's one that might be 40 years old.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Classic-Series-416-8B-Spec-Sheet.pdf

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Yeah Tad's are a bunch cheaper and made in Japan, the Altec's are USA small hand made production. I couldn't tell you which would sound
better, even if they would sound different. Never have heard a Tad speaker, and I would never pay $2700 for a woofer. I got lucky and scored
my Altec's years ago.
You know Lee, when you start playing in this ballpark of horns and stuff, man it just never ends on how crazy cool it can get . I have reached a
point that its about the quality of the source and recording to my old ears. Well this month anyway. lol.
You have probably seen these threads but hear's a couple on Tads and stuff. Notice the Big old Altec's in the background of those beautiful Tad
equipped horns. Had to mention them. lol.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?20088-Explain-Tad-woofers-Help

Another :
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=hug&m=1928&VT=T

Its all good fun.
jM

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Oh I Know Mike...once your system gets to a certain resolution it gets exciting AND frustrating.....kinda cool when it gets there and you can hear small adjustments...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The one poster says ;

Sonically, TAD sounds great, JBL,ish, to a large degree, but deeper low end than the 2226H, and TAD paper cones are of great quality. TAD drivers are CLEAN, and play GREAT low end.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Yeah its a shame James B. Lansing hung himself in 1949. Altec (All Technical) took over from there.
The Japs have copied just about every quality Audio product we have designed and built. And have bought up the majority
of vintage McIntosh, Altec, JBL, Bozak, Stevens, to name a few before we got wind of what we had. Now the vintage stuff is
high dollar to find. Not much left here. Even JBL sold its soul.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
nobody mentions it but Jensen was big on the hifi scene and used a lot in jukes as well....

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Jensen was really big in the musical instrument side of the speaker business. Some P.A. and a few known High Fi speakers.
They went under sometime in the 1960's. Not in the same league as Pro Audio like Altec, Jbl. More in the same market as
University Sound, EV. etc. University and Jensen were both used in some of the early Klipschorns.