Linear Tracking

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
They look cool but the preceived benefits are just smoke and mirrors
... linear tracking TT's are notorious for errors in tracking and sound quality.
Interesting opinions guys, so one will need a totl LT TT to really feel the benefits of it, well i'm quite happy with my L85 from Lenco and from quite some time i discovered a better cartridge alignment which totally eliminate IGD no matter what, it's about the Stevenson 2 points protractor! :tongue1: It makes a big difference to hear how smooth can play a record from start to the end even if no LT device.. :blob:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have never heard the malady IGD. You have to look straight down upon the protractor. No fudge factor. Doing carts aren't my favorite thing to do. I'm not a big fan of the mirror ones.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
I have never heard the malady IGD. You have to look straight down upon the protractor. No fudge factor. Doing carts aren't my favorite thing to do. I'm not a big fan of the mirror ones.
They sound harsh especially noticeable with female vocals, moreover, if played like that regularly those records will be affected forever and that's not good and i do have several destroyed records this way,, well i was a teen then not knowing about, but i'm much wiser since using audio forums.. :glasses8: and BTW, i do use a paper protractor and it's simple and effective.. :thumbup:

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
That's a nice looking TT and also seems very heavy, i bet it plays goood. :thumbup:

I also like the LT-30 by Nando showed earlier, the Shure M95ED is also a great cartridge having nice positive feedbacks all over. :thumbup:

BTW, what cartridge do you have on your LT-20 as it doesn't look very familiar from what i see in the pic :)

enoyes12

Journeyman
Tagline
No, I won't turn it down but you CAN go away!
Oh yeah gotcha. It sounds great. Unfortunately not made anymore. Very light pressure. When I got it the suspension was bottomed out because it was set up for a different cart. Much more dynamic and natural ,set up properly at .07g

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Oh yeah gotcha. It sounds great. Unfortunately not made anymore. Very light pressure. When I got it the suspension was bottomed out because it was set up for a different cart. Much more dynamic and natural ,set up properly at .07g
Welcome to our forum. You can tell us a little more about your interests in our Introduction section, if you like. It's great to see someone else who owns a Mitsubishi LT turntable. Your LT-20 is a nice one. That's the first I've heard of the MA 2002 cartridge.

Thanks for posting the scanned literature on the cartridge, Sep.

Nando.

enoyes12

Journeyman
Tagline
Its a great cartridge. I don't know what I'll do when I have to replace it. I have my eye on another LT22 just because their great tables and don't come available very often

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Thanks for posting the scanned literature on the cartridge, Sep.

Nando.
Yes Nando it is a very interesting cartridge i've never heard as well, i'm also interested to dig about that stuff and i'm surprised to see nice innovative things which even old still very exciting, too bad Micro Acoustic stopped doing them and i bet they would have great success even nowadays. :)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have my LT-30 parked, but should I patch it back into my system I will post a video clip of it playing. I am attracted by turntables as much as I am by cassette decks. I have sold a couple of tts, but the LT-30 will remain with me.

Nando.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Do you know why it isn't made anymore?

enoyes12

Journeyman
Tagline
After talking to my Pops, he's the one who is way into turntables and does complete rebuilds on them and has for years, (he did mine). He said the cartridges are still available but it's the stylus that's really hard to find. If you can find them they are NOS and are getting top dollar. He wants to get an SAS and try it against my MA in case the stylus gets totally ridiculous. I'll let you know how it goes when we get the SAS.