Latest build components

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Thanks! I recently learned the difference in Intel designations for their latest CPU:
i9-12900K - Basic model with integrated graphics
i9-12900KS - "Special" version with better components but the same specs, and costs $300 more
i9-12900KF - Basic model without the integrated graphics
i9-12900H - The less powerful and more power efficient version

In other words, marketing hype for most of us.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks! I recently learned the difference in Intel designations for their latest CPU:
i9-12900K - Basic model with integrated graphics
i9-12900KS - "Special" version with better components but the same specs, and costs $300 more
i9-12900KF - Basic model without the integrated graphics
i9-12900H - The less powerful and more power efficient version

In other words, marketing hype for most of us.
No Xeon fans here?

George S.

I've got 2 Dell XPS 700 and 2 XPS 720 that I need to retire. They're BTX form factor and can't be upgraded. Damn shame, beautiful made in Japan sculpted aluminum cases and LED lighting. They are huge and extremely heavy. Going to pull any cards and drives I can reuse, and take them to the recycling center. They're old tech and it's time.
If anyone wants them, I'm south of Cleveland OH. Shipping is a no go due to weight and size, and current costs to ship large items.

George S.

I've moved to Xeon because I only buy used. I'm not a gamer, and don't need or want to invest in the latest or greatest. What Fred's built there, no doubt has mighty impressive bench marks, and is no doubt, a killer gaming rig.
I buy used work stations for the Xeon, and often large amounts of ram(usually ECC or server ram) that come with the deal, and a good Nvidia CAD video card(not a gaming card) usually at a big discount compared to a similar age PC.
Work stations are designed to boot from a network, usually a secure network. However, bios can be configured so the machine boots from a internal drive, like a PC. However, I've found boot time increases when the bios is so configured, but it's a small inconvenience.
So, one can get a lot of performance, cheap, with one of these. Additionally, most will have a Windows 7 COA sticker. Download Windows 10 onto a flash drive. Install it on a $16 used Liteon SSD, or $18 used Samsung SSD, and the Windows 7 key will activate 10.
Don't have to spend a lot for a killer machine(unless your a gamer)! Here's a link to a good article why hard core gamers don't need Xeons, and why others may want one.
https://www.gamingscan.com/intel-xeon-for-gaming-worth-it/

George S.

Oh, and there is a dual processor version of the Lenovo S30 workstation called the D30. My understanding is, only one processor will ever be used unless the software is written to explicitly use the second processor. So, pass on dual processors unless your trading and following stocks or whatever with special software. Also, if I want more than two monitors, I just plug in a older gaming video card that supports 3 monitors. Most of the video cards that come in these are for computer aided design and spreadsheets and such, will support two monitors.The cards are usually Nvidia. And usually a VERY expensive card when they where new.

mlucitt

No Xeon fans here?
I don't really care what they call the type of processor. I am just tired of putting together a useable PC only to have it become obsolete in two years because the "industry" has decided that they can't support a piece of software or hardware configuration and then the upgrade path is a dead end.
Such is the BTX form factor. There was nothing wrong with it but it was Betamax in a VHS world and ATX became the winner.

So I am selecting gaming parts and pieces that 'should' not become bottom feeder equipment right away. I am not as tech savvy as George and you have to have mad skills to keep up with even one particular domain of used equipment such as Xeon workstations. I would rather cry once, than cry at every update (as my dad used to say). And, it is too hard to chase the technology.

At least DDR5 memory, 1TB SSD, a LGA 1700 and Z690 chipset Motherboard, and a 850 Watt Power Supply should be around for awhile. Even if I only use it to check email, listen to XM Radio, and view an occasional 3D CAD drawing. I don't have time to be a gamer.

George S.

Fred's build should do virtual reality. Been about 3 years since I looked hard at gaming cards. Back then I think it was "Oculus" that was just coming to market. Might want to research where virtual reality is going now if that interests you Mark.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I always go industrial strength Xeon multicore for my workstations with Nvidia GPU and skip the i5-9 stuff from Intel. I did get my daughter an i9 Inspiron for Christmas however.

I buy the Dell T5820 class workstations off the Dell outlet. They are solid performers

mlucitt

I used to like Dell, their older stuff was bullet proof. Now much of it is proprietary and thus, hard to upgrade for us that like to fiddle.

George S.

No more Dell for me unless it's full ATX compatible, don't think I've ever seen that in a Dell.
Built a HP workstation for my father, a Dell for his newest wife(that's what he requested, a HP and a Dell). Neither were pure ATX.
The Lenovo S30 is all ATX, but he said it was too big, so HP and Dell for him and her.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I use Xeon CPUs in several of my servers. For all my desktops I tend to use the latest consumer CPU. Years back I used Xeon for my desktops but stopped for several reasons. (Last was X99 chipset.) Having to use Xeon specific chipsets that will not run consumer CPUs and have differing sockets. More expensive. Latest chip tech hits consumer CPUs first, then server CPUs. Finally, the kind of workload I have here does not require workstation performance. Bottom line, I like both server CPUs and consumer CPUs. I use both.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I parted out the Ivy Bridge desktop last year, rarely got used! I just got a used high spec Thinkpad T480. It’ll render drone maps, run 3D printer slicing software, and shitpost just fine…..but it chokes on 4K video. Gotta see what that’s about