Klipsh KG4

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Anyone here on the forum have these speakers and wanna share there thoughts on their sound.
I am getting ready to trade a extra set of my Polk monitor 10's for them. According to the owner they have the Titanium diaphragm upgrade, so that is a plus. I also believe that the owner upgraded the crossovers as well. Below is a pic of them to show what they look like. I believe he also painted them gloss black, which is not gonna cut it for me. I will re-veneer them if the deal goes down.
I hate black speakers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Don't know how they would stack up against your Polk. But if they were K's I wouldn't care if they were purple.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Don't know how they would stack up against your Polk. But if they were K's I wouldn't care if they were purple.
I thought you had K's Lee?
Anyhow, I have 2 sets of 10's so getting something different to put in the mix is ok by me.
Will compare when he brings them over

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: I did listen to a pair of KG 4s a short while ago. But, I didn't have enough time listening to them to help you out.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
You will have to let us know how those speakers sound, Robert. But I agree with you, the wood finish on the speaker boxes looks more pleasing than the black.

Nando.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
You will have to let us know how those speakers sound, Robert. But I agree with you, the wood finish on the speaker boxes looks more pleasing than the black.

Nando.
Yup crossover were completed as well so no mods will have to be done other than the exterior:blob:

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
You will either love them or hate them prob lol. Polk monitor series have a pretty distinct type of sound. I haven't heard this particular model but klipsh are usally more bright and crisp sounding then the old polks. Can't wait to hear a report back after a listening session.

Rat44

Journeyman
I had a pair that very sounded good.
Very efficient and decent bass.
The rear radiator requires proper placement .

Dennis

chris

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I had a pair I picked up an estate sale several years ago I like the way they sounded.I just sold them a few months ago as it needed more room for other things but I did like the fact that they were efficient had good bass.That's just my opinion.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Well even though they are rough, they sound fantastic under less then ideal conditions in my garage.
Just like the owner said, he did upgrade the horns with the titanium driver, the caps to the horns were replaced as well everything else is stock. Oh did I mention he painted the things black. They do not qualify to be put in the mantuary at this time. Once the veneer is done and grill cloth is replace then they will move into the man cave. Are they better than the Polk 10's I have? To my ears yes they are. Much more sensitive to volume than the Polks. Cant really say ya or nay at this point since I don't have them in there optimum placement.
Anyways the cabs are fine no major gouges which is a plus just that ugly ass BLACK spray paint. Also the crossovers are only half replaced. The poly switch is still there as well as the lower freq cap. They will need to be replaced as well with better grade caps. I just might wind up dumping all the polks I have for a decent set of Klipsh's at some point. Hell I might be converted.
Ok enough with that here are the picks

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Update on the KG4's

So I decide to get busy refinishing these speakers as I really want them in the man cave, instead of the bedroom. I armaflexed the drivers and the speaker terminal cup. Tightened down the nuts to the rebuilt tweeters. Yuo they were loose, surprised they did not short out or blow out as they were rattleing loose. I also stripped that ugly ass black finish as well spent the whole day sanding these things down. I am going to leave the wood as is. No Stain, but a sealer will be applied to them. The risers will have to be remade as I did manage to burn thru on the bases, trying to get the paint off of them.
Any who on with the picks
These speakers are bad ass. Better than my SDA2's that I molded as well.

Need to do some more sanding work though, but my back wont stand for it today so some other time
Anyway back in the bedroom they go

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
F&^%$#@ Cool Bob.....man, if you apeshit over those wait till ya get some big ones that go in the corner!!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
NICE WORK, BOB!

You do realize that if I had an crazy half-biassed bastard son he's still get an ice cream cone...

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---

Thanks guys for the comments.... Found a finish that wont hide the wood finish, and wont yellow either, at least that's what the claims are on the WWW. Got the wood today to make the bases.
This is what I used to sand the cabinets down with
Rigid sander

And to get into the corners
Ryobi Multi tool

Back is still killing me so Wont be finishing anything soon.
Also got to figure out how to punch out the magnets on the front face without damaging the wood.