Klipsch Chorus Squaker & Tweeter Issue

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I just had to post this. Bought a pair, Klipsch Chorus. Noticed something was not right when I hooked them up. Squaker in the left speaker not working. Took it out, DCR is fine. Looked over the crossover, looked fine visually. Checked a few parts and looked over the boards, solder joints and all... Still, everything looks fine. Said what the heck and connected the squaker back up to the crossover. Squaker works fine ??? So, why not. Put it all back together. Squaker works fine. Tweeter... not working now. Damn ! WTF right ? Looked over the schematic and looks like to me the tweeter and the squaker share nothing but the "ground" - side ... Who knows, weird right ? When I figure it out I will post back. Crazy man. Only me.

Klipsch Chorus Schematic.JPG

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Well, looks like the tweeter diaphragm just up and give out. Coincidence who knows. I mean these are at least 30 years old. Vintage speakers, kept in storage units in 100 deg. heat at 80 % humidity around here never makes for a great combination. A nice new-used set of Crites titanium diaphragms and they sound damn good. Now to see what fails next if anything.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Was still having trouble.. Found one of the squawkers was down a few dB from the other . Same cabinet I had trouble with before. A few new caps for the electrolytic in the crossovers at the 7uF position and bingo. Listening is nice now. Only had 10 uF lytics caps "in stock" so new 7 uF's film caps were ordered. Soon they shall arrive to replace the lytics then we shall listen to .... Sphongle. Oh Yeah.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
So got the networks, stock ones restored with new caps. The mid is still giving issues. I have swapped around shit enough to know for a fact the problem is in the stock network PCB or autoformer. Gonna take both down to the individual parts and build point to point kinda like the ole Bob Crites networks. We will see.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Well, all done. the solder joints on the one crossover board were in bad shape. Could not really tell until I pulled them down. Took all the parts I needed, transformer and the inductor coils off the old boards and put them on pieces of wood with all new metalized polypropylene Erse caps. Sound damn nice now. The work is somewhat shabby because I re used the caps that I had used before building the stock boards but who is gonna poke their head in my speakers to find out . If they do I am gonna say .. Hey, get outta there ! Tomorrow comes
SHPONGLE !!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Those inductors look funny to me…
I thought that inductors in crossover networks were supposed to be in X-Y-Z orientation to prevent (reduce?) cross- inductive contamination. In other words, one pointing east, one north, and one forward to prevent one magnetic field from influencing another. Am I wrong?

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I have read some about that and then I have seen it done all kinds of different ways. On the stock boards of these speakers they were mounted right on top / right next to each other much closer than they are now for sure. I know I am just a hobbyist but it would stand to reason to me that the inductors would create a magnetic field. Whether that field is strong enough to affect the sound with them spaced apart and in the orientation that I have them in I would have no clue. I kinda put them on the board that way after looking at many pictures of boards built up for Klipsch speaker crossovers on the net. Good thing is they are pretty easy to remove so if I run into trouble I can jerk them right on out and do it all over in a different way.