J.A. Michell Prisma restoration

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
That is a beautiful lid...
Pops said the pics don’t do it justice! The rear mounting holes are drilled and it was temporarily bolted to the hinge for correct alignment. I’m going to countersink the holes at my shop to the correct depth for the screws I use and obviously have to make the grab handle/spot buttons and prop, rod but that won’t take long once I get at it!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Obviously......a machinist in his own envirinment should be able to make that happen...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Obviously......a machinist in his own envirinment should be able to make that happen...
ackshually... I'm a bit out of my usual zone as I haven't worked with acrylic at all really. I talked to the fabricator and we discussed drill bits, basically he suggested sharpening them to a 90* point and using a hand stone to flatten the edge (remove rake angle). Similar to drilling brass, removing the rake angle prevents the bit digging in on its own. Probably use a single flute countersink to prevent chatter and aggressive cutting also. I really don't want to crack or scratch it:oops:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
And drill it under final as a pilot before finishing with target bit. A reamer might not be a bad idea either actually.

Use the countersink by hand after to ease the edge.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Yep, gotta be pretty light with the cutting forces! Now I’ve got to have the tread and pitch identified and have my father order me some stainless countersunk Allen bolts for it. They will be much easier for him to source than trying to get them in my bumblef&$k town!

I’m looking for suitable material on the ship to start machining the prop rod pivot but haven’t found any stainless large enough...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
McMaster-Carr is your new best friend.

All sorts of hardware and other bits for fun projects.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
McMaster-Carr is your new best friend.

All sorts of hardware and other bits for fun projects.
Not sure I want to give up my... “purity” to McMaster Carr over 5 tiny bolts... the shipping would be crazy! Pops can get them from fastenal through his work or just walk in. I don’t really have anywhere close to me for that stuff. Most regular hardware, even stainless is pretty easy because of the fishermen, but 8-32 Allen head countersunk stainless... nah.

Here’s a few more pics with the protective plastic removed.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I think he did a great job for never having seen one and going by some grainy internet pics! Inserts plug for -Hank @ P&A Plastics in Hamilton Ontario- Can’t wait to get home and assemble it! Talked to the gf last night also, she found the SME manual and is scanning it

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Hamilton?

I used to go to the Ottawa valley land rovers annual birthday party each year. Had a GF in Gwelph for a while too...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
That my fathers first tractor, 49 Ford 8N, one of 16 or 17 tractors between the two of us now I think... He's giving her a restore. Here's the pride of my collection, 1928 Hart Parr 18-36, barn fresh!

The Gf came through with the SME manual too!

Attachments

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Might get home early to work on stereo stuff... we holed the ship this evening. Bumped into a bridge abutment...
Wow. That material does not look very thick. Did the bridge carry vehicle traffic? If ship vs bridge happened here, the bridge would be closed at least until an engineering assessment.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
The shell is about 5/8” plate. The hole is about 5 feet long and well above the waterline but will need to be repaired before we sail again. I think we hit a piling and not the actual bridge, also not sure if vehicle or train bridge. Last time we hit a bridge i heard it was 1/4mil for assessment and repairs...