I'm Buying a "Mule" PL400

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Hey everyone, I need a chassis to hold newly assembled WOA upgrade control boards. So, I am bidding on this PL400:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHASE-LINE...1588a16be:g:tysAAOSwFdZct5l3&autorefresh=true

Please don't bid against me, as I cannot afford much more than this for a PL400. (as if this will really stop you guys...) And I hope the transformer is good at least!

Anyway, I have one of the new Rev E control boards on the way, and I need a bench mule to test it. My last board assembly was a Rev A, so take that!

I will document unboxing, upgrading, testing, etc.

Thanks,
Mark

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The forum hasa been missing Dr. Lucitt's vibe for a looooooong time...good to see ya back Mark....

mlucitt

My next one will be fully complementary. I grew up on push-pull amplifiers, most all the guitar amplifiers in my days were P-P.
I like the architecture of the backplane boards but it does add some complexity to the transistor wall. Is the PL700 backplane kit just an enlarged version of the PL400 backplane kit? I'm wondering if I should try a PL400 backplane first, or jump right in with both feet and build the PL700B backplane amplifier???

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
My next one will be fully complementary. I grew up on push-pull amplifiers, most all the guitar amplifiers in my days were P-P.
I like the architecture of the backplane boards but it does add some complexity to the transistor wall. Is the PL700 backplane kit just an enlarged version of the PL400 backplane kit? I'm wondering if I should try a PL400 backplane first, or jump right in with both feet and build the PL700B backplane amplifier???

I think it reduces the complexity of the backwall. And very little point to point. Yep the 700 backplane is just a big brother of the 400...

mlucitt

I think it reduces the complexity of the backwall. And very little point to point. Yep the 700 backplane is just a big brother of the 400...
I see what you mean. But I am old school and I think the point to point wiring is authentic and beautiful, when properly dressed. Of course, I have to install a new backplane to get caught up to you guys. Does anyone think this is an audible difference after installing just the new backplane? Has anyone done that or has the new backplane always been part of a Full Comp upgrade?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Back planes are only full comp Mark. And they do drop residual noise...builds can now approach 200 micro volts on a 700 and under 180 on a 400...