If I buy a Revox A-77...

With the 79 euro I got from YouTube, I want to purchase a Reel to Reel deck, that can accept 10.1" reels. Right now I am after a 75 euro Revox A77.
My question is, if I get this deck, how many capacitors must I replace?
I am not planning on replacing all of them, only the RIFA and FRAKO ones (because those are notorious for blowing up).
Second question: Where are these located? Spotting them isn't hard (they have the brand on there), but knowing where to look is nice.
Me and the seller are already talking about shipping, so I have a fair chance of getting this deck.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't know, because mine works just groovy :)

Never changed the caps?
Hmm... I still want to replace those caps, because I don't want no smoke :mrgreen:
I already made the deal with the seller, 89,20 euro including insured shipping, which goes up to 500 euros insurance (so 75 euros is no problemo).
It had a NAB adapter and reel on there in the image, but I will assume the seller won't ship that with it... can always hope though.

orange

Tagline
I never saw any smoke come out of an A nor the B 77 in 34 years of watching them spin in automation at radio stations.

Unless they get emphysema, leave em until they hack a lot.

Another question: I want to use several types of tape. What would work best though? Would it sound good on new tape like RMGI SM468/900 or similar?

orange

Tagline
Since I don't know what or how many sources of tape were used at the various syndication houses that made the automation tapes and you can get a manual online free or dirt cheap, it's probably kinda fun to learn to set it up, and in that aspect no different than a Philips or Uher...Crown etc.

Old Mr. Studer built a fine deck or two, akin to being the Volkswagen of tapes.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Never changed the caps?
Hmm... I still want to replace those caps, because I don't want no smoke :mrgreen:
I already made the deal with the seller, 89,20 euro including insured shipping, which goes up to 500 euros insurance (so 75 euros is no problemo).
It had a NAB adapter and reel on there in the image, but I will assume the seller won't ship that with it... can always hope though.
No reason to ASSUME anything on a sale ASK HIM!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'll keep it that way then, the seller also says he checked the unit.

Checked it for what?/ Herpes, aids, some viral infection?? Don't leave things open to interpretation. YOU as a buyer have the perfectly legitimate right to ask WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHY, WHERE, and HOW.....if they get sketchy or pissed about THAT, perhaps they have something to hide or believe it is a priveledge to buy from them, in both cases , good reasons not to buy. A straight up honest seller will not give you grief for asking, and most times is expected, and if not asked may raise a red flag in their world....

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Checked it for what?/ Herpes, aids, some viral infection?? Don't leave things open to interpretation. YOU as a buyer have the perfectly legitimate right to ask WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHY, WHERE, and HOW.....if they get sketchy or pissed about THAT, perhaps they have something to hide or believe it is a priveledge to buy from them, in both cases , good reasons not to buy. A straight up honest seller will not give you grief for asking, and most times is expected, and if not asked may raise a red flag in their world....
What he said, YEAH!

orange

Tagline
What is that in US dollars, without me Googling it?

I spent $100 on mine and it was gone over nicely by the friend who was nice enough to give me that break...

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Sorry to say, but when buying decks like this at that price, always expect the worst.
When you get it, and there's nothing wrong with it, then it's an added bonus..... and ur twice as happy. Priceless. :flower:

I'll keep my fingers x-ed for u tho'.... :happy7:

What is that in US dollars, without me Googling it?
$102.

I am not worrying too much, that ain't good for my health :evil4:
Well, I just messed something up on my Presario CQ60 when assembling it, now I need a 25 euro part... Another reason why I can't use more worries now. :angry2:

orange

Tagline
At least you can fix a Pioneer and they have that crappy all in one power/speaker switch that can short (will too) and is very hard to replace without scouring the known universe and two subdirectories.

orange

Tagline
I do not want to even go near the implications of how somebodies schwanz got there to give it that.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'll do whatever the hell I want, I don't give a damn.
Well, that is certainly your perogative....
And so should others have that choice.....

My choice would be for you to actually heed the help that has come your way but you blow suggestions off like blowing your nose . You asked for help on the SX 450 and you were in some VERY capable hands with Navlinear, and you being one that wouldn't make a pimple on his ass went on your own and started hooking up wires.....and got the result you deserved. This forum owes no one on no thing it's time and energy. People are here to help due to their generous nature..you are not owed help just by asking and when help is ignored or taken for granted , expect a lot less. Your people skills suck in general ......but I forget....you don't give a damn....

A wise old man once told me " If you can't do what someone else does , get up and clap anyway" dig?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And I would add one more thing...you can indeed do whatever the he'll you want.....but remember , there are consequences...and most are unintended....and one of your.prayers at night should be for wisdom..