IC's interconnects and cabling.

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Find a set of those heavy duty video cables they would give away with a cable receiver. I see them all the time at the value village. red/blue/green ones....Component cables maybe they're called. Peel the extra wire off and cut it in half and add the 1 1/4" phone plug tips to em.
+1. Toss heatshrink and maybe some techflex on it and you have a nice cable.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have a 5 way set of those, they have to be 12 feet long. They seem to be halfway decently made but I just don't need cables that long for most things. I have used the cheaper video component cables for turntable outputs though. I chopped the craptastic original cables off my Garrard Lab 80 and subbed a red/blue pair. They aren't amazing but much better than the crappy original cables were. If any of you guys have ever seen 1960s English cables before, you'll know what I mean. The center pin on the RCA plug is so long it bottoms out in some things. Besides, brown and grey, wtf?

Nick Danger

I have a 5 way set of those, they have to be 12 feet long. They seem to be halfway decently made but I just don't need cables that long for most things. I have used the cheaper video component cables for turntable outputs though. I chopped the craptastic original cables off my Garrard Lab 80 and subbed a red/blue pair. They aren't amazing but much better than the crappy original cables were. If any of you guys have ever seen 1960s English cables before, you'll know what I mean. The center pin on the RCA plug is so long it bottoms out in some things. Besides, brown and grey, wtf?
Got some pics of those 12 foot 5- ways?

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I don't, but picture in your mind a long white set of cables and you've got the idea. Maybe they are 10 feet, I've not measured them, but they are longer than your typical cable by a fair bit.

Nick Danger

Here are the IC cables I have been purchasing as of late:

Well built, cheap, flexible and the RCA connectors are small enough that if I slip some heatshrink over one of RCA connector, I can use these on my RT1020L which have to be the most closely mounted female RCA inputs in recorded history!

Speaker cables are 12 foot DIY's: 14 gauge stranded copper wires, twisted, folded in half, twisted again, slipped into some Techflex and terminated with some Nak banana plugs:

Of course, I had to take advantage of the brutally cold weather we are having and cryogenically treated these:

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Nice RCA's Doug. They look like they would be some high dollar cables.

Really like the snow shot too.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Techflex makes things look professional. I've actually had people give me shit for having snob cables. Its those AR cables that I got at the flea market stuck in a piece of Techflex to neaten them up. I spent more on the Techflex than the cables inside them.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
These are the best cables I have. Oxygen free but that's all I know about them, they are old and very well used. Probably had them in my car at one stage.

The rest of them are cheap ones that get thrown out when they break. They work. I use the best ones from the Pre to the WOPL. Upgrades planned for the future.

Nick Danger

Never heard of the procedure. Please school me?
Some folks claim that equipment treated with extreme cold sound or operate better than untreated ones. I was just stirring the pot with my "hobo cryo-treatment" as this thread has been so civil. On some audio threads, people get into heated debates about cabling, but thankfully that is not the case here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
We've all been through that BS on other sites Doug.....it's such a waste of time and energy....whatever works and you like is what it';s all about...

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Just for some extra quality, I'm going to get some Power line cable (the stuff they put on the poles) and make some IC's out of it :evil4: