IC's interconnects and cabling.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Didn't find a thread around here after a quick search discussing IC's. So I figured I'd start one.

Picked up these AR cables yesterday at Bluestreak. Noticed last week he had these. Apparently he's been carrying them for a long time.

Most of the wires on my rig at this point are Mono price brand. My custom RG6 cables with crimp on tips are starting to fail. While I thought that would be a good long term solution they didnt last as long as I wished. So I opted to order a pile from Mono price some time ago. Extremely tight fitment on the Mono price branded cables at first. After having them on and removing a few sets for re-arrangement they seemed to go on a lot nicer second time around. I also have a couple sets of monster cables, some ultra link cables, and some radio shack branded cables.

Anyways I thought I would try out these AR cables as the price was reasonable. While I don't buy into the whole cable game as far as sound goes, I have yet to notice any difference in sound from the Monster branded cables to the radio shack branded wires. Its an appearance thing for me.

Anyways, here's the wires im talking about,

pictured beside a couple sets of Mono Price cables.

If I like the fitment I may grab some more. I do like the looks of these though.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have different AR cables that I got for peanuts at the flea market. I got them for less than the price of the nice connectors on the end. handily, the wire between seems OK, but I have a lot of old gear that doesn't take fat ends properly. I actually modified a set of those AR cables to feed my PL 700. Mine has 1/4" input jacks, and I had one set of cables with a missing lock collar on one end, so I swapped those out for the 1/4" plugs it needs.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I use custom made connectors for my amp pre amp connection. Same style as you... 1/4" phone plug on one end RCA on the other.

These here AR were 10 dollars. Considering I was paying 6 to 8 for a set of RS branded wires I didint find the price too bad. I got my monsters on the cheap as well at the local Value Village.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I'm using audioquest golden gates and imo the do make a big difference and I'm also using wireworld solstice 7 speakerwire... At this point I only have 1 audioquest power cord hooked to my sub but it completely tightens it up. I am a firm believer in cables . You wouldn't use junk wire in a WOPL itself so why break the pattern on the way to and away from amp! Just my opinion

Rat44

Journeyman
I have picked up a few pair of the Audioquest Evergreens to try out.
For the price they are good.
The Blue Jeans LC1's are also priced well but for some equipment it is a very tight fit.
They are kinda stiff and can strain the connection.

Dennis

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'm using Phillips PXT1000 component video cables for interconnects. They do a great job, and now that everyone seems to be going to HDMI, the video cables can be had really cheap. I strip off the red cable, use blue for right, green for left, and two sets yield TWO red cables, so two cable sets make three sets of IC's.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have a few of the older AR cables, but the ones I really like are these Tara Lab cables I bought from Larry. I have three pairs of the Tara Lab ICs - not enough to replace all my cables - but I do use them from my preamplifier to my amp, my Sony X7ESD CDP to my preamp, and my Sony MD deck to my dbx route selector.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I love my Tara's i bought from the Larrt too Nando. I had bought enough to do Timdalf's, Jani's and mine...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Before Larry's health worsened, I was about to buy a few more lengths of Tara Lab cables from him as he still had some left. When I bought the last pair of cables from him he gifted me a nice pocket scale for my turntable. Every time I received a parcel from him, he would enclose something extra - bless him.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Finally learned what the arrow is for. The arrow points to the end with with the shield unconnected...

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I have a small boatload of those Monoprice (red and white) cables shown in the original post. Bought them for another one of those routing project ideas which did not work out as planned. Anyway,they work fine except are a bit of a pain to route if you are in a small space.

Robert

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I don't have the money for "good" IC's but my system will still stomp most people's systems into the ground. I do have a few sets of the Monsters, even going back to the red cable Monsters. I also have the blue ones that look identical to the AR's. Only gripe I have is the gorilla grip when they lock on. Took me awhile to figure out the right way to remove them without pulling the gold jackets off the RCA taps on my equipment or breaking a solder joint to one

I would love to try a couple sets of the Tara Lab cables, just don't have the finances to try and as I said, my system sounds fine as is. I don't really expect to have a golden ears moment with any cable. I have $250 guitar cables that sound like the $19.99 ones, they just last longer

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Nice to see a civil cable discussion for a change. some places this type of thread starts a war.

I will be making a set of RCA-¼"Phone TS for a friend now that he has a couple amps that need the phone plug for input. Thinking of using the Canare which is popular but might try mogami or other wire. I have time to discuss with an esoteric audio friend that has read all the cable info. But I'll be glad to here more opinions.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
hm, neither of the AR cables posted are the same kind I have. Wonder what mine are about.

ah, found it. They are apparently the "Master Series" cables. I have a mix of component video and audio cables. The video ones are quad shield RG6, kind of fat stuff stuff thats a pain in the ass to route. It also does not fit on my old tube gear. The connectors are just too fat. They don't pick up any hum though, and if you use them on stuff with connectors that aren't stupidly spaced they're great. Just have to un-lock them before unplugging or you're probably going to take half the socket with you. The outer shell on these threads in and clamps down on the outer ring, very much like a drill chuck. The thing under the plastic blob is a ferrite bead. I had to move those upward a bit after hacking off the plastic when I made up the RCA to 1/4 cables for my Pro 700.

not mine, but they look like that.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Nice to see a civil cable discussion for a change. some places this type of thread starts a war.

I will be making a set of RCA-¼"Phone TS for a friend now that he has a couple amps that need the phone plug for input. Thinking of using the Canare which is popular but might try mogami or other wire. I have time to discuss with an esoteric audio friend that has read all the cable info. But I'll be glad to here more opinions.
A few of my guitar cables are Mogami's

Northwinds

Tagline
Hell yes Mike, thank you! I was trying to figure out how to cob a pair together by cutting up guitar cables and putting the 1/4" jacks on a pair of cheapass genric RCA cables. I figure it would not work to good because they would not be shielded right and I suck with a soldering iron LAMO!!!! Besides that, I want good quality and what I have for extra RCA's is just the cheapie skinnyass generic ones

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Find a set of those heavy duty video cables they would give away with a cable receiver. I see them all the time at the value village. red/blue/green ones....Component cables maybe they're called. Peel the extra wire off and cut it in half and add the 1 1/4" phone plug tips to em.